Would An Airline Like This Work?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 am

Imagine a B767 based for example in STN or LTN or HHN or BGY. Bound to New York. Single ticket costs € 150 and return € 300.

Pax can go to the airport and buy the ticket or book a flight on a certain day but with no schedule provided. The 767 will depart when all seats are occupied with a maximum waiting time of 48 hrs.

Maybe, instead of JFK or EWR it can be a better choice PHL, relatively close to NYC.

I know something like this has already been tested some year ago, but I think times have changed and maybe it could work.

What do you think?

RE: Would An Airline Like This Work?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I'd say no. I expect you to run into some regulatory issues, but this system is a b*tch for crewplanning as well. What time would their duty start?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

RE: Would An Airline Like This Work?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Both Laker Skytrain and People Express had a variation of this by offering first come first served stand-by seats that had people camp out at the airport for hours. But both airlines had fixed departure times.
Anyhow, I don't know how kindly airport authorities, vendors or other parties would take so such an unknown schedule operation just from a basic staffing and planning point of view.

Also for an airline to make money, especially and LCC you cant afford to have costly planes sitting around waiting. They need to keep moving and producing the maximum number of trips to generate revenues to cover their cost. Sitting on the ground earns zero.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California