Checo77
Topic Author

Bottles Of Liquid In Checked Baggage?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Hello!

One of my friends flew LAX-FRA-PRG a week ago and he had a bottle of alcohol in this checked bag. After arrival in PRG he noticed that his bag has been opened and the bottle was missing.
Due to the new safety measures after the Christmas Day bombing, are bottles of liquid prohibited in checked baggage? Or was he just a victim of a "thief"? Are there any extra safety regulations when flying though the US?
I am traveling LIM-ATL-ZRH-PRG in a few days and want to take a bottle of Pisco with me, but I am scared now. An advice from one who has better insight would be great!!

Have a great day!
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

PITingres

RE: Bottles Of Liquid In Checked Baggage?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 am

As far as I know there is no regulation that says liquids in checked luggage are subject to search or removal. (The whole liquids thing is bogus anyway, it's not hard to immediately confirm or deny anything actually dangerous, e.g. nitroglycerin, but I digress by assuming that security golems have even the faintest inking of chemistry.) I suspect your friend was simply taken advantage of. Unfortunately I am not sure what the best way to ship your Pisco is in these degenerate times...  Was your friend's booze clearly labeled? It might help to be in original packaging. (or not.)
Fly, you fools! Fly!

LAXintl

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am

Check with your airline -- some do not allow alcohol bottles specifically in checked baggage. Others have restrictions on size, proof, and packaging requirements.

For example in the contract of carriage for one airline;
Alcohol (wine and liquor) must be in the original unopened container with the manufacturer’s label when transported in or as checked baggage.
The maximum quantity of liquor that may be transported in or as checked baggage is five liters per Customer.
Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof).
Alcohol (wine and liquor) accepted as checked baggage must be contained within a corrugated box secured with sealing tape. The contents must be packaged in a leak-proof bag with professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tennis69

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:46 am

Quoting Checo77 (Thread starter):
Or was he just a victim of a "thief"?

Thief