lisbonbearuk

Upgrade Offers At Online Check-in

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 pm

I have travelled BA recently, both in Europe and longhaul, and in these days of cost-cutting, my company put us in economy. However, I have noticed that BA quite often an upgrade to business class during the online check-in process, often at very good prices (I upgraded recently between LHR and LIS for £70).

Which other airlines offer this, or is it just BA?

exFATboy

RE: Upgrade Offers At Online Check-in

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Several airlines in the US offer upgrades at OLCI - I've bought them on UA, and a friend has on CO. They tend to be somewhat rare on CO (and I guess on UA now with the new upgrade policy) because of free upgrades for elites, but they do pop up from time to time.

I've bought upgrades at kiosk check-in on AA and US - in both cases I hadn't tried to check in on-line, so I don't know if they were offered on-line, but I'd think so.

OP3000

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 am

All airlines do this, but BA is certainly among the most aggressive I've seen. They do the same thing long-haul too, often offering upgrades from Y to Premium Economy both at the airport but also when doing online check-in.

Typically, airlines that offer complimentary upgrades for their elites (AA, CO, etc) generally don't do this as much, since obviously they end up having less inventory available at the front when checking-in.

PWMRamper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 pm

United will offer upgrades to First, Business, Economy Plus. They also offer the ability to purchase extra miles, or premier security, etc.

OP3000

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Quoting PWMRamper (Reply 3):
United will offer upgrades to First, Business, Economy Plus. They also offer the ability to purchase extra miles, or premier security, etc.

It makes sense that carriers with four cabins on aircraft will be more aggressive offering upgrades (ie. BA, UA).