netjetsintl

Question About Flights Within Costa Rica

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:44 pm

After years of talking about it finally going on a Costa Rican vacation (Golfo de Papagayo-Guanacaste).... there are no Star-alliance flights from the U.S East Coast to Liberia which would be the closest airport. Will be flying into San Jose...

any flights from SJO to LIR?? what airlines and/or companies and type of aircraft fly this route??? is there a small airport on the Golfo de Papagayo with air service I don't know about???

gracias

s4popo

RE: Question About Flights Within Costa Rica

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 pm

This is probably your best bet. It's a small airline with a main fleet of Cessna Caravans. I believe they have two daily flights to LIR.

http://www.flysansa.com/

777jaah

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

CO flies from IAH to LIR. I once saw 2 of their plaes @ LIR, can post pictures later today. You just can transfer in IAH, maybe would be better than flying to SJO and taking Sansa, which at my time, was extremly expensive.

By the way, LIR is a small airport, extemly efficient, with a decent number of DL, AA and CO planes landing there. From the moment you disembark, by stairs of course, you feel you're in another world. Are you rentign a car?? What hotel are you staying in?

At Guanacaste, you'll have enough to do, but the food is great trust me, I think there's a restaurant called Cocos or something like that, really good food.

Cheers

777jaah
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

LTU932

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm

If you're also looking at other domestic destinations, one of your best bets would be out of SYQ. There are buses that go to SYQ every 10 to 30 minutes (if the driver's don't take the buses along for their lunch break), and from there Nature Air offers comprehensive service (mostly with Twin Otters) throughout many tourist locations in the country. No idea if they're flying to LIO as well if you want to hit the Carribean coast.

jnj561

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Looks like CO also flies to LIR a few times a week from EWR as well - CO1782.

Have fun - Costa Rica is awesome!

TK787

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I have flown on Sansa' Cessnas out of San Jose. Even 8 years ago I was able to book my Sansa flights online.

nebflyer

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm

My partner and I visited Guanacaste, Costa Rica about six months ago. We had a fantastic time! We took AA into LIR and rented a car. I saw both Sansa and Nature Air offering flights from LIR to SJO and other small airports in Costa Rica, but I have no idea about cost since we drove everywhere.

I don't know where you're staying, or what hotel you're staying in, but if at all possible have dinner at Ginger in the Playa Hermosa/Playas del Coco area. We ate there three times during our two-week stay. I also recommend La Choza de Laurel for typical Tico food. It was on the main road near the airport.

If you want more suggestions on things to see, do, or eat... just let me know.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting NetjetsINTL (Thread starter):
there are no Star-alliance flights from the U.S East Coast to Liberia which would be the closest airport. Will be flying into San Jose...

any flights from SJO to LIR?? what airlines and/or companies and type of aircraft fly this route???

Speaking about Star Alliance in Costa Rica for the meantime:

San Jose
CO IAH-SJO...........23x weekly.............757/738
CO EWR-SJO.........15x weekly............757/738
US CLT-SJO............7x weekly..............752
US PHX-SJO............7x weekly..............319 [seasonal]
US PHL-SJO............1x weekly...............319 [seasonal]
AC YYZ-SJO.............3x weekly..............319

Liberia
CO IAH-LIR.............14x weekly................73G/738
CO EWR-LIR...........3x weekly.................738
US CLT-LIR.............1x weekly..................319
AC YYZ-LIR.............2x weekly..................319

Frequencies and equipment may vary depending on the season.

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 2):
You just can transfer in IAH, maybe would be better than flying to SJO and taking Sansa, which at my time, was extremly expensive.

For those US travelers, my recommendation consists to take any of the different flights aiming to Liberia out of their different stations: ATL, IAH, DFW, CLT, MIA or EWR.
Driving from San Jose downtown to Polo Turístico de Papagayo [Papagayo beach area] takes more than four hours in average, in spite of the new highway linking San Jose and the Pacific coast.
Domestic flights on short planes have severe baggage-restrictions.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

netjetsintl

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Quoting s4popo (Reply 1):
This is probably your best bet. It's a small airline with a main fleet of Cessna Caravans. I believe they have two daily flights to LIR.

http://www.flysansa.com/

thank you

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 7):
Speaking about Star Alliance in Costa Rica for the meantime:

San Jose
CO IAH-SJO...........23x weekly.............757/738
CO EWR-SJO.........15x weekly............757/738
US CLT-SJO............7x weekly..............752
US PHX-SJO............7x weekly..............319 [seasonal]
US PHL-SJO............1x weekly...............319 [seasonal]
AC YYZ-SJO.............3x weekly..............319

Liberia
CO IAH-LIR.............14x weekly................73G/738
CO EWR-LIR...........3x weekly.................738
US CLT-LIR.............1x weekly..................319
AC YYZ-LIR.............2x weekly..................319

I'd love to fly CO EWR-LIR or US CLT-LIR but in May (when we're planing the trip) the Liberia flights from the North East pratically disappear...for the dates we're traveling, nothings shows from EWR, PHL, or CLT to LIR

Due to my "available miles", Plan A is to fly USAirways IAD-CLT-SJO and rent a car for the 4 hour drive, unless we can fly cheaply from SJO to LIR.....

I'll look into flysansa.com see what I can arrange.... thanks guys

777jaah

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 7):
Driving from San Jose downtown to Polo Turístico de Papagayo [Papagayo beach area] takes more than four hours in average, in spite of the new highway linking San Jose and the Pacific coast.

My only time in the Guancaste area, I flew MIA-LIR withh AA, and then drove all the way back to SJO, probably some good 4.5 hours drive, and then took AV to BOG. It was an extremly nice trip in everyway I can remember it. Would love to go back to Costa Rica.

Quoting NetjetsINTL (Reply 8):
I'd love to fly CO EWR-LIR or US CLT-LIR but in May (when we're planing the trip) the Liberia flights from the North East pratically disappear...for the dates we're traveling, nothings shows from EWR, PHL, or CLT to LIR

Can't you fly IAD-EWR-LIR with CO or IAD-MIA-LIR with AA??? Although the drive is nice, is much better if you just can skip that part.

Cheers

777jaah
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

ArmitageShanks

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:34 am

Rent a car and take the drive. It's great. I did it with a friend last year and it was a blast.