staralliance38

40 Min. Connections W/Bags In CLT & PHX Possible?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm traveling on US Airways thiscoming Thursday and I'm planning to pay the $50 same-day change fee to add two extra legs to my journey to Vancouver.

I plan on checking-in one bag, and my dad has concerns about my bags making the tight connection.

Here are my possible routings:

1) PHF-CLT-DFW-PHX-YVR

40 min in CLT
45 min in PHX

2) PHF-CLT-IND-PHX-YVR

40 min in CLT
54 min in PHX

3) PHF-CLT-CMH-PHX-YVR

1h58m in CLT
26 min in CMH
56 min in PHX

4) PHF-CLT-STL-PHX-YVR

40 min in CLT
54 min in YVR

Safe option) PHF-CLT-ATL-PHX-YVR

ATL-PHX-YVR is one flight, no plane change.

Also, PHF has three morning flights to CLT: 7am, 9am and 12:45pm
Any chance that I could see if I can get an earlier flight to CLT to have a longer layover in CLT?

Thanks!
Roar, lion, roar

Cubsrule

RE: 40 Min. Connections W/Bags In CLT & PHX Possib

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 pm

You shouldn't have a problem with the bag in CLT, and 40 minutes is enough for any connection, though you'll likely have a shorter walk if you book an Express-Express or mainline-mainline connection (for these purposes, count RW as mainline).

Since all of those PHF flights are on 50-seaters, you'd be better off booking a flight leaving CLT on a CRJ, CR7, CR9, or DH3 rather than an E75 or mainline.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ojas

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:19 pm

40 mins are good enough. I have done a connection of 31 mins at CLT myself.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

Maverick623

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm

40 minutes is enough in CLT, and plenty of time in PHX.

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Thread starter):

Just beware, although it's technically a thru flight number, aircraft swaps do happen fairly often in PHX. So you may wind up having to change planes....
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

staralliance38

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 am

Thanks guys! I knew the connections would be fine, but my dad was thinking about the bags.

I think I'm going to try to get the DFW stopover. I've never been to Texas.
Roar, lion, roar

Maverick623

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:23 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 4):
I think I'm going to try to get the DFW stopover. I've never been to Texas.

You're not missing much.   

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 4):
Thanks guys! I knew the connections would be fine, but my dad was thinking about the bags.

You're welcome! I was actually referring to the bags as well, as that's my domain.  

deltairlines

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 am

The DFW/IND/CMH/STL/ATL connections aren't valid on a PHF-YVR itinerary.

Legal routing per the US fare rules is PHF-CLT/PHL/PIT/DCA-PHX-YVR. Given that there is only service to CLT/PHL at this time from PHF, the routing will most likely have to be PHF-CLT-PHX-YVR or PHF-PHL-PHX-YVR...you might be able to get an agent to add those stops but don't count on it.

staralliance38

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 6):
Legal routing per the US fare rules is PHF-CLT/PHL/PIT/DCA-PHX-YVR.

yeah, learned that the hard way when checking in in PHF. When I got to the US Airways Club here in CLT, they said the IND option would still work, which resulted in a full out fast-walk sprint to B16 (end of B Con.), only to find out they gave all the standbys seats already. I guess I'm sticking to the PHF-CLT-PHX-YVR routing. On my way back, I may try to add LAS to make YVR-PHX-LAS-CLT-PHF.

Would LAS still be valid?
Roar, lion, roar

deltairlines

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Quoting staralliance38 (Reply 7):
Would LAS still be valid?

No - it's the inverse of the outbound routing, so PHX, then either CLT/PIT/DCA/PHL...

At this point, LAS is not a valid connection on US Airways for any city out of PHF, and would only work out of ORF if it was a direct flight (no change in flight number) from ORF to LAS; from there, you would only be able to go to PHX or LAX though (or a couple of other direct flights via PHX, such as SFO).

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:05 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Thread starter):

I would avoid this option from the standpoint of, if the ATL-PHX-YVR is a "direct" flight and you are doing this for the purpose of racking up miles and/or segments, "direct" flights hurt you. For example, there is a flight DAB-RDU on DL with a stop in RDU. If you fly DAB-ATL and ATL-RDU as separate legs, you get 1,000 Skymiles, 1000 Elite Qualification Miles, and 2 qualification segments. If you book the DAB-RDU flight, you only get 500 Skymiles and 1 Elite Qualification Segment. Plus, you may still have to change planes anyway, completely wasting any advantage you think you got with this "direct" flight.

Also, I would be weary of bag transfers in non-hubs cities If one station isn't used to getting bag transfers, they may send your bag straight to baggage claim. Definitely avoid the 26 minute layover in CMH.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Maverick623

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 9):
Also, I would be weary of bag transfers in non-hubs cities If one station isn't used to getting bag transfers, they may send your bag straight to baggage claim.

I wouldn't fret over it. Most non-hub stations have the gates right next to each other, and just about everyone will read the "strange" bag tag.