Ansett767
Topic Author

Air Baltic - Any Info Please?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:53 am

HI All,

I stumbled upon Air Baltic website... looks quite good as they have a ton of flights all over the baltic....

Are they a LCC?

Safe? Reliable?

Part of any group?

Any info would be appreciated!!!

PlymSpotter

RE: Air Baltic - Any Info Please?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Are they a LCC?

Yes. You pay for bags, meals, and a booking/administration fee. You do however get assigned seating, comfortable cabins and friendly crew. I thought some of the longer flights included complementary service, but I'm not sure about this.

Safe? Reliable?

So far as I am aware, yes. I've flown them three times and have two more flights coming up, no problems with reliability and the hub in Riga is a great airport - really pleasant.

Part of any group?

They are loosely affiliated to SAS, who sold their shareholding a year or so ago, but some degree of cooperation remains. The airline is owned by the Latvian Government/management.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

aivisavia

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey, they are "hybrid airline" according to them and can be really cheap and expensive at some times, like 2 weeks ago I bought a discount ticket to Latvia for just £39 return, whilst on same route but booked tickets 5 weeks ago it cost me £100 return.

They are safe because parents flew on it a lot, and they seem nice. I hope my experience with them will be good. Hope same about you!

debonair

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
Are they a LCC?

Yes. You pay for bags, meals, and a booking/administration fee. You do however get assigned seating, comfortable cabins and friendly crew. I thought some of the longer flights included complementary service, but I'm not sure about this.

Well, even check-in will be extra charged (web-checkin is foc, as well as holders of BT's FQTV card).
Nope, snacks on very short sectors are complimentary.

aivisavia

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Quoting debonair (Reply 3):
Well, even check-in will be extra charged (web-checkin is foc, as well as holders of BT's FQTV card).

I thought BalticMiles members don't need to pay for check in, am I wrong?

debonair

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Right... Web-ckin and BalticMiles members are exempted.

aivisavia

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Dudes, I don't think they are reliable anymore. I booked flights MAN-RIX and today all of them were cancelled. Don't know what to do...  

PlymSpotter

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Quoting aivisavia (Reply 6):
Dudes, I don't think they are reliable anymore. I booked flights MAN-RIX and today all of them were cancelled. Don't know what to do...

How far in advance did you book, and what alternatives have they given you? IIRC it was a new route, in which case advance bookings were obviously pretty poor and they canned it. Will they switch you to a different flight?

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

aivisavia

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 7):
How far in advance did you book, and what alternatives have they given you?

They got me on flight next day (because of my choise) en route Riga-Copenhagen-Manchester for free, actually I love it more than travelling direct because I'll get a chance to get on F50 and CRJ90 (according to BT) or MD80 (according to SAS)

I am unhappy with what my mum did tho, with cnacelling June travel at all.