Topic Author

Is 35 Minute Connect Times Reasonable For WN?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 am

I'm headed out west and back and now have the option of using SW out of Milwaukee.

There are no direct flights - and the connections are for 35 minutes at MCI.

Is that reasonably doable with SW? I've been burned too many times to count on other airlines with tight times like that? I've no desire to miss flights on this trip.

geg2rap

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:20 am

yep...plenty of time as long as everything is running on time......if things fall behind it really doesn't matter how long you were supposed to have....good luck

LOT767-300ER

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 am

Quoting 2175301 (Thread starter):
I'm headed out west and back and now have the option of using SW out of Milwaukee.

There are no direct flights - and the connections are for 35 minutes at MCI.

Is that reasonably doable with SW? I've been burned too many times to count on other airlines with tight times like that? I've no desire to miss flights on this trip.

Nothing is reasonably doable when you plan on flying Air Namibia out of MKE or MCI.

wn700driver

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 am

Honestly, that doesn't sound like a great idea on any airline. I don't think it really matters whether we're talking about WN or not. Lord knows what can happen. Keep in mind, a flight is not delayed until your arrival time is twenty minutes past posted. So even if it's listed as "on time" you may still have problems. . .
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

iowaman

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 2):

Nothing is reasonably doable when you plan on flying Air Namibia out of MKE or MCI.

I was waiting for a smart comment like that, haha  
Quoting wn700driver (Reply 3):
Honestly, that doesn't sound like a great idea on any airline. I don't think it really matters whether we're talking about WN or not. Lord knows what can happen. Keep in mind, a flight is not delayed unt

He is exactly right, however with as small as MCI is you shouldn't have an issue if everything is on time. Regardless, 36 minutes is very little time to connect anywhere. I would say go for it, unless it's the last connection of the day, or you're flying on peak days (Friday and Sunday especially).

HT

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 am

Quoting 2175301 (Thread starter):

With WN I would not hesitate to go for such a short connection.
Unless one needs extra time for boarding / deplaning, all should be fine.

Will you be checking luggage on that trip ?
In case you still should not feel comfortable to go for such a connection, then, for the peace of your mind, go for a longer one.
You can force WN´s website to go for longer connections if you enter the sectors seperately like MKE - MCI then onward to XXX.
Only downsides are, that you now have a longer minimum connection time and you will have to book your return leg seperately (seperate PNR, but this is adviseable on WN anyhow, as no penalties are involved and gives you the option to change your return legs independently from the outbounds legs).

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Topic Author

RE: Is 35 Minute Connect Times Reasonable For WN?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks all:

I will have luggage, so I will make other plans.

Have a great day....

PITingres

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 pm

WN is pretty good about moving checked bags around. I would worry more about the security setup at MCI. Because of the way the terminals are constructed, security is (or was) pretty much on a gate-by-gate basis. There might be some gate pairs accessible behind a single security checkpoint, but I don't know that all of WN is behind a single checkpoint. So you might have to re-clear security just to connect.

(The flykci website appears to be silent on the topic of where security checkpoints are. Maybe someone who has traversed MCI recently could comment; it's been a few years since I have been there, and I was mostly in terminal A, not B.)
Fly, you fools! Fly!

71Zulu

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 7):
I would worry more about the security setup at MCI. Because of the way the terminals are constructed, security is (or was) pretty much on a gate-by-gate basis. There might be some gate pairs accessible behind a single security checkpoint, but I don't know that all of WN is behind a single checkpoint. So you might have to re-clear security just to connect.

Exactly! Last time for me in MCI connecting on WN I had to go back through security again so if that happens to you, it will be pretty tight.
Clickable links only please!

sw733

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I have connected 35-40 minutes on MANY WN flights and only have had a problem when weather has come into place, in which case the carrier you are on doesn't usually matter. Many times, the 35 minute layover becomes 45+ when WN arrives early.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 2):

Quoting iowaman (Reply 4):
I was waiting for a smart comment like that, haha

Usually from me!

isitsafenow

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 7):
I would worry more about the security setup at MCI. Because of the way the terminals are constructed, security is (or was) pretty much on a gate-by-gate basis

The last few times I went thru MCI, the have one security for three or four gates, NOT one for EACH gate.
Its in his favor he will connect within same security area.
PLUS.........36 minutes to connect at MCI on the same carrier? Very do-able!
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

rolypolyman

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm

You forgot to take into account clearing customs if you're going MCI-WDH. If you miss that A340 flight then you'll get stuck on the late night 737 departure going MCI-FPT-HAV-CCS-LAD-WDH... 37 hour flight but it's a great chance to stock up on Cuban cigars.

[Edited 2010-03-30 11:14:57]

sw733

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Quoting isitsafenow (Reply 10):

The last few times I went thru MCI, the have one security for three or four gates, NOT one for EACH gate.
Its in his favor he will connect within same security area.

It's a crapshoot. I think there are two areas for WN, so it's probably 50/50 you get in the same one. Even if you don't, they are right down the hall from each other, and it has NEVER taken me more than 15 minutes to clear security at MCI, even during holidays, spring break, etc. And I fly out of MCI every 2-3 weeks for the last 5 years.

Worst case scenario and you are very, very short on time - talk to TSA or grab a Southwest rep to push through the line. The WN crew at MCI are mighty nice (as they are everywhere, of course)

Quoting rolypolyman (Reply 11):
You forgot to take into account clearing customs if you're going MCI-WDH. If you miss that A340 flight then you'll get stuck on the late night 737 departure going MCI-FPT-HAV-CCS-LAD-WDH... 37 hour flight but it's a great chance to stock up on Cuban cigars.

MCI-WDH huh? I have dreams of this one...heck, I'll even take the 737 flight, it's still shorter than some of my MCI to WDH flights via Europe!