jetblue777
Topic Author

Best Airport You've Ever Been To

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 pm

What's the best airport you've been to? Surprisingly, my favorite airport is an American airport: SFO. What I like about SFO is that the facilities are great and they have very friendly staff. My personal favorite is they're Int'l terminal. Personally, I've never been to ICN, SIN or HKG, I've read a lot of reviews about those airports, and it seems like they are the best inthe world. I'm going to ICN this summer and I have high expectations after reading a lot of reviews about the airport. So, what's your personal favorite?
It's a cultural thing.

aivisavia

RE: Best Airport You've Ever Been To

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm

East Midlands, best aiorport I've been to.
Second goes to Manchester, third RIX, 5th LPL, 6th CRL, 7th Stansted

OA260

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting aivisavia (Reply 1):
East Midlands, best aiorport I've been to.

Why EMA?

My favourite is Zurich always a pleasure to transit there.

UltimateDelta

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 pm

I have to say I REALLY like SAV. Nice facilities, plenty of (close-by) parking, friendly people (might just be a southern thing), and lots of Gulfstreams to drool over  The only complaint I have is that it's efficiency is pretty 'southern' as well: Came in on a 35 min. flight from ATL and it took just under an hour to get the first bags (and mine wasn't even among those first ones!). Other than that, it's a wonderful little airport that I always look forward to flying to.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

LDIkaros

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:51 am

ICN is the best airport I have been to. Followed by SIN Changi airport. HKG is also pretty good, and so is MUC.

BMI727

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:17 am

I have my top three.
3. San Francisco International, international terminal.
2. Zurich
1. London Heathrow, Terminal 5
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Viscount724

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:48 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 2):

My favourite in Europe is T2 at MUC (the LH and Star Alliance terminal), followed by ZRH. Problem with ZRH is that connectoins to/from longhaul flights require the underground train shuttle, and too many shorthaul flights require buses to/from the aircraft. Otherwise it is good. GVA is also very convenient, provided you can avoid weekends during the ski season when there are dozens of charter flights and resulting congestion.

Of the major hubs, AMS is also excellent.

Of medium-size airpors in Europe like GVA, other excellent airpoirts in Europe are DUS, HAM and PRG.

[Edited 2010-04-02 19:55:49]

hoons90

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 am

1. ICN
2. SIN
3. DTW
4. HKG
5. KIX
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

KU747

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 am

- HKG
- DXB
- LHR - T5
- SIN
707,727,73all,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,77all,300,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346, L10,L15,DC10,MD11,SSC,VC10

kiwiandrew

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 am

Without a doubt mine was the late and very much lamented Tempelhof . No other airport I have been through has made me feel that I was transported back in time to the golden age of flying . I felt glamourous ( there simply is no other word ) just walking through that amazing building . I could feel the history ( not all of it admirable of course ) of the place . It would have been worth flying there and back just for the experience without even spending any time in the fabulous city that is Berlin .

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 am

Nagoya - Chubu Centrair (NGO), Japan.

Modern, clean with excellent facilities.

aivisavia

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 2):
Why EMA?

Simply because it's small, and it feels great to be there. Sitting at gate and looking at the big window and planes in front. I use it the most (15 times in less than 3 years) so I'm loving it. It's close to my home and it's kinda perfect!

ClassicLover

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Singapore, because I have never been processed so efficiently through Passport control at any airport on such a constant basis ever.

Hong Kong is up there also, as you can check in and leave your baggage at the train station desks before you even get to the airport!

Special mention to THF as per the poster above - flew in there before it closed. Time capsule to the max and all the more awesome for it  
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

BNE

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Singapore SIN for the facilities and the passport control.
Hong Kong HKG for the facilities and the free wifi.
London LHR T5 only for the facilities and the BA lounges.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

babybus

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 pm

CPH. Easy to get to and from and its lack of shops is a real treat. I like to ba at an airport not a shopping centre. I also like the wooden floors and the ramp views from the departure lounge. From a passenger point of view they seem to have thought of everything.

HEL is also good. No massive queues. Not many shops and lots of plane spotting areas inside the lounge.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

MadameConcorde

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Singapore (Changi), Zurich and Nagoya (Centrair).
I like all airports but these three are definitely on top of my list. Beautiful, hassle-free, safe and efficient.

LHR and Frankfurt are my most favourite for plane spotting.         
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

BasilFawlty

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:09 pm

1 - DXB (T3)
2 - LHR (T5)
3 - OSL
4 - MUC
5 - LCY
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

OA260

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
GVA is also very convenient, provided you can avoid weekends during the ski season when there are dozens of charter flights and resulting congestion.

Ive never had the need to go to GVA so never seen it. Im too in love with ZRH and Zurich city  
Quoting aivisavia (Reply 11):
Simply because it's small, and it feels great to be there. Sitting at gate and looking at the big window and planes in front. I use it the most (15 times in less than 3 years) so I'm loving it. It's close to my home and it's kinda perfect!

Ok just wondered , I was there a few weeks back it was 6am and quite congested especially around the gate areas.

chootie

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Tops for me:

5. MUC T2--clean and easy to navigate
4. ZRH
3. CPH
2. LCG--small, super-friendly staff, and a great airport to experience powerful take-offs and landings  
1. OSL Clean, friendly, and nice wooden flooring.
chootie

YYZRWY23

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 pm

CLT by far. Flew US to FLL through CLT a few times and I have never enjoyed an airport more. Friendly terminal staff at food establishments and shops. US staff at CLT were a pleasure to interact with and I try to connect in CLT when I can going to Florida.

That's the people. The terminal itself is fantastic. I love the main area with the large window and Muskoka chairs, and the concourses annexed from it. Just a lovely space to be in and enjoy a layover.

Second Place- YYZ Terminal 1
Third Place- YVR

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

whatusaid

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:18 pm

YYR is my favorite. Love flying in and out, except with the TSA requirements slowing down what had been a very efficient immigration...

vhqpa

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Large Airport

BNE International Departures - Modern, lots of natural light unobstructed windows

Medium Airport

ADL - Large modern facility although appears to be too big for it's purpose
CHC - Large open air rooftop viewing deck a rarity these days

Small Airport

ASP - Very flash and modern large spread out design only drawback in the tarmac is a considerable distance from the Departure lounges and trees obscure any views of aircraft from the terminal.

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

brooklynchris13

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 pm

The "best" is always such a subjective word, however I can easilly say that my most memorable positive experience at an airport was the old SRQ terminal, early-mid 1980s. A classic southern or warm weather airport with art-deco touches, including roof-top observation area. I think the only jet ways were one or two in the special Eastern terminal addition, and there was nothing remotely like a baggage carrousel.

I will never forget the experience of getting off the plane into the Florida sun and walking across that tarmac. Truly felt like arriving in a different world, or the set of a movie. I was fortunate enough to watch a few Eastern 757s operate there in the early days of their time with Eastern, which was an impressive site made all the more so by being able to stand outside and watch it from only a short distance away.

There are a lot of good things about modern airports and the jetways and the shops and all, but I miss that feeling, at least a little. Not so much when it's pouring rain or -10 outside.. but I digress..
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

Yflyer

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm

MLB (Melborne, Florida) -- Very easy to get in and out.
DTW -- Nicest terminal, fast baggage return, but loses some points for long lines at security and check-in.
SFO -- Most interesting things to do while waiting for your connection. The last time I was there they had a a museum type display in concourse F called "For Amusement Purposes Only" that showed the history of slot machines and other gambling devices from the late 1800s through the 1940s or 50s. I found it very interesting and a good way to kill some time.

AI151

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 am

(1) Singapore Changi
(2) Hong Kong Chep Lap Kok
(3) Dubai Terminal 3
(4) Heathrow Terminal 5

SIN and HKG as both gave me no hassle and everything is easy to understand. Staff are brilliant and very friendly as well. DXB and LHR would be for the lounges mainly!
Modern Vision. Timeless Traditions...

redtailsforever

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 am

Hi,

Long time reader first time poster. My best be would be MSP One central security chechpoint. Once past that you are free to move about the airport. The bonus is the observation deck in the the east side terminal. To counter that though, would be LAX, where I switched airlines, thus terminals. Take off your shoes again, Mr TSA, Fantastic when connecting from a Honolulu redeye, to Chicago. Not fun, but it killed some layover time  

initious

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 am

My vote definitely goes to SIN. Besides being my homeland airport, it is very clean, modern and the service is top-notch. Fast internet stations, lots of shops to shop at... Etc etc. 
One way I will fly around the world!

kiwiinoz

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 am

SIN first, HKG second

I noted in the recent skytrax results that the new BKK ended up in the top 10 for the world. Having just passed through there a couple of times in the last week, I have resolved to obtain the names and addresses of everyone who voted for this airport, visit their houses, and chop off both of their hands, (to prevent them from voting again)

Crap signage, long immigration queues, cheap interior fitout, A/C that doesn't seem to work anywhere, huge walking distances, no train link to the city, (OK I know that's coming), limited restaurant offering, information counter staff that seem to know nothing about the airport....a disaster every time I go through

The highlight is the retail in International departures, and the exterior architecture. However everything else doesn't work

EDICHC

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 21):
CHC - Large open air rooftop viewing deck a rarity these days

Not for much longer unfortunately.

Best for me ...

Overall SIN facilities are outstanding. If you have a few hours you can go for a swim or take the free city tour. Or take the excellent metro connection into the city.

In Europe AMS and a mention for BHX although nowhere near as good as AMS I have always considered BHX a very underrated facility.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

alaska737

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Kona Hawaii
Dutch Harbor Alaska
St. George Utah
Deer Valley Arizona
Monterey California
Half Moon Bay California

shamrock604

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 pm

SIN would be hands down my favourite. ICN and HKG may be more aesthetic, but SIN wins on facilities.

Other favourites are KUL, AMS, SFO international Terminal, BOS terminal E (Compact, easy to use and spacious), MUC and ORK (Cork, Ireland - the new terminal is great)

redtailsforever

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 am

I would also have to say Honolulu. You can walk along a concourse connector, and you're basically outside. Some spots you feel might be violating security, given how open you are when taking pictures.

AustrianZRH

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:38 am

ZRH, my home airport.
2nd place: YYZ, was nice, well-lighted and easy to navigate.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

SOBHI51

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am

SIN great airport, lot of facilities always clean.
KUL large airport, easy to go around, not very busy
GVA Swiss at it best small and eficiant
IST new, big, nice TK lounge.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

n5014k

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Most of my travel is domestic US.

That said, I like Kona's airport the best.

AUS is a nice medium-sized airport. So is JAX.
MCI is an easy-to-use airport for O&D travel, but is not so good for connections.
As I get older I find I just cannot warm up to travel through any large international airport.

I'd like to see a thread someday about airport terminals that have been torn down that people miss. If I had more initiative I'd start it myself.

StarAC17

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Here are some of my top ones.

YYZ - My home airport and the new T1, makes it way better than in the past, T3 is pretty good as well especially the check in hall.
YVR - Didn't think much of it when I flew domestic there years ago but the international terminal is awesome and the customs hall is the best I have ever gone through, they just need to speed up the customs process, its a lot faster at YYZ.
SFO - The best airport in the US that I have been to.
BNE (International Terminal) - It has a lot of glass where you can easily see the tarmac and is in perfect view of the runway when the heavies take off.
AKL (International Terminal) - Easy to navigate and has an observation deck that gives a good view of 5R and the tarmac.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

PI4EVER

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 pm

My favorite is my hometown airport TPA.
Others of notable mention are PIT, SFO, DCA, CLT, MCO and JAX in no particular order. PIT in its glory as a new terminal as a US hub was awesome. DCA very nostalgic as I started my airline career there in 1969. CLT was like home, and MCO, JAX, and TPA were the home airports at times over the last 20 years.
International I would rank LHR (T5) as one of my favorites, along with FRA (train station in terminal), AMS, BRU and OSL. CDG was a bit daunting but easy to get into town and LGW as always appearing very congested. Better than a condo, I'd move into the Terraces Lounge at LHR T5 if I could!
Not starting a thread about old and torrn down, but hands down my absolute favorite was the original ATL terminal from the 60's. I spent many hours there both as a military person and airline employee, and literally hours of my life was spent on that observation deck. It is still great to see that hangar with the "Fly Delta Jets" sign. Honorable mention: The old North Terminal and walking concourse to the Main Terminal at DCA. Many of you remember Gravelley Point? I spent many an afternoon picnicing there watching planes....your shoes would get stained black with jet exhaust residue in the grass, but cheap entertainment for a poor military and later poorer airline employee.
Damn. Time to pack a sandwich and go the airport. At TPA you get the first hour of short term deck parking free, so a 2 hour lunch watching planes costs you $2.00! Add the $1 menu from MacDonald's and you're in heaven!
Meet me on Deck 9,
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

lxmd11

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 pm

HHH (hilton head airport), one floor, two check-in counter, two baggage "carousels", four gates (doors), and never a delay or wait  

PGNCS

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 22):
The "best" is always such a subjective word

That's exactly right. Best for what? For hubs in the US I prefer MSP and CLT; for Europe I like KEF, CPH, and AMS.

I don't like JFK, PHL, EWR, LGA, LHR, ORD, FRA, SFO and the other usual suspects, though likely I'm making those decisions from a pilot's vantage point more than as a passenger.

I try and spend as little time in the airport as possible when I'm not working, but have always been pleased with MSP, CLT, KEF, AMS, and CPH. I would rather deal with CDG than LHR or FRA any day of the week, though it's not a particular favorite to operate out of. I do love NCE, but that isn't really a hub which I was trying to stick to in my response.

HT

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:17 am

Quoting jetblue777 (Thread starter):
Best Airport You've Ever Been To 

I think, there are too many answers to such a question.
I have used (commercially) about 200 airports ranging from ones that process only a few thousand pax a year upto ATL with its roughly 90m pax a year (number as indication only).
Picking the "best" between those is almost impossible.
For example, the easy handling one can find at many smaller airports most times is counter balanced by the lack of traffic, making them unattractive to us A.netters..

If I should pick one airport of (minimum) modest size and take in the following factors:
a) easy to reach
b) close to the city it serves
c) speed of checking in
d) speed of security check
e) facilities landside
f) facilities airside
then TOS comes to my mind.

When it comes to treating passengers well even in the most remote places (Longyearbyen, Kirkenes), Norway (in this case: AVINOR) certainly knows how to do this. In each of the smaller airports you will find a NARVESEN kiosk serving hot (snacks), regardless how remote the place is.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Osubuckeyes

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 am

1. DCA- Excluding the A terminal, so easy and nice to walk around, fast security, fast bags, good food options.
2. CLT- Love the rocking chairs inbetween concourses, Bojangles, lots of food and shopping, easy connections.
3. DTW- Nicest terminal Ive ever been in hands down, although i feel their food lacks a little but thats my opinion on their food, and also easy to connect.
4. SEA- Although one of my connections was from S to N I found it suprisingly easy, lots of good food, easy to get in and out.
5. SLC- Going to the DL connection part kind of sucks but there's something about SLC that I just really like, never had delays or bad connections etc... Plus I love going to Squatters in the C concourse.

MadameConcorde

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 am

Not the best airport I have ever been to - see my other post - but still my most favourite.

Rarotonga, Cook Islands         
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

EDICHC

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 41):
Not the best airport I have ever been to - see my other post - but still my most favourite.

Rarotonga, Cook Islands         

That I can quite understand!
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

sw733

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Pure beauty, efficiency, architecture, comfort: HKG without a doubt. I absolutely love that airport in every possible way. I have no problem arriving 3 hours early for a flight just to sit around past security/immigration.

Convenience: My current home airport of MCI...my record from a/c door to airport exit is 42 seconds.

isitsafenow

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 41):

Im ready!!! Take me PLEEEAAASE.

My fav is MCI
2nd DTW
3rd TPA or MCO(kinda the same)
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

CanadianDC10

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:10 pm

I absolutely love DTW - The McNamara terminal. It's got a great atmosphere and it's loaded with amazing food choices. I love how long it is and the train makes it so easy to get around. The views are also great!

ANITIX87

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Quoting oa260 (Reply 2):

Agreed. I love ZRH, especially with the ease of connection to national rail lines and the cleanliness. Two summers ago, flying EWR-ZRH on CO, it took me 25 minutes from my seat to the train station, including the underground shuttle, customs, and baggage. Leaving ZRH a few weeks later for a flight to LCY, it took 11 minutes from check-in to the gate.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 33):
GVA Swiss at it best small and eficiant

I love GVA. It's not necessarily the NICEST airport I've been to, but I always feel like I'm home when I arrive there. I love getting out of the plane and walking along the hallway with the windows, looking out at the machine you just arrived on. I used to love those crystal mosaic ads they had along the corridor. Then customs is always a breeze (I check the lines and use whichever passport will get my through fastest). I love entering the arrivals hall and seeing that little bistro on the left. The ONLY thing I hate about GVA now is the new car rental system. Very inefficient and VERY poorly designed. It took us 90 minutes to get from the departure hall to the rental area, wait for the shuttle, find our car, and get out of the airport. I like the old system much, much, much better. But I can't wait to fly into GVA again sometime soon!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

hoons90

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:03 am

Quoting CanadianDC10 (Reply 45):
I absolutely love DTW - The McNamara terminal. It's got a great atmosphere and it's loaded with amazing food choices. I love how long it is and the train makes it so easy to get around. The views are also great!

Except that it's not that great for pictures  http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/hl7534/IMG_4071.jpg
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

CanadianDC10

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 47):
Except that it's not that great for pictures

lol I KNOW! Those damn dots all over the window to block the heat from the sun!

LX138

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 pm

1. HKG Hong Kong - still the best all round - modern, well looked after, clean, great facilities and pleasant to be at
2. OSL Oslo - underated - modern, love the wood floors that ooze quality, feels very quiet even when its not and generally relaxing
3. KUL - underated - very modern, very quiet, good facilities and very clean
4. CPH - nice wood floors again, stylish and chic
5. ICN - good facilities, modern, clean and feels of quality
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance