metroliner
Topic Author

Spontaneous Non-Rev To The US Tomorrow! But Where?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey all,

After my first trip to the USA and Canada ever in January, I have been itching to go back, and I now have a few days from tomorrow until next Tuesday to go live the dream!

The thing is, I've been to all of the places that immediately occurred to me. I went to San Francisco, San Diego (on a whim), Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and New York. I'm thinking of heading down to Austin or Memphis to take in some Americana and some genuine American music, but my friend reckons Miami is the way to go.

Of course, there are hundreds of places and things I would love to see and do there, but I have only a little time!

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I'm very keen on the West Coast excepting LA, as I have no car and one of my criteria is that it's walkable. So please, go nuts!

Cheers,

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

jetblast

RE: Spontaneous Non-Rev To The US Tomorrow! But Wh

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 am

You may want to give Washington DC a try. Beautiful weather this time of year, cherry blossoms are in bloom, and most everything is walkable downtown.
Speedbird Concorde One

dc9northwest

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 am

Quoting jetblast (Reply 1):
You may want to give Washington DC a try. Beautiful weather this time of year, cherry blossoms are in bloom, and most everything is walkable downtown.

Seconded.

Boston might be another option, I guess. Also walkable (or use public transit).

sw733

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

Chicago? In my book, the best city in the USA without a doubt.

Other smaller cities in the middle of the country you might like: Nashville (better than Memphis in my book), Austin is nice, so is San Antonio, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Cleveland.

Miami is junk. Don't go to Miami. If you're going to Florida, go to the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida...Fort Myers/Sanibel, Tampa, Sarasota, Naples...

PI4EVER

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

MEM and MIA are not walkable. The same for most other popular points in FL I could otherwise recommend for warm weather and beautiful beaches, but little or no public transport to rely on.
I vote for Washington, DC as well. Weather forecast is for generally nice weather and is the heart of America's history. A great city to see and do things free. Accomodations may be a bit pricey but a great choice of a "walkabout" city. Baltimore just up the road (bus or train) offers a beautiful waterfront area easily navigated by foot and great seafood.
Come on over....the weather is fine and we'll treat you right! Good Luck with your trip to see us.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:14 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 3):

My thoughts exactly. And everything is in walking distance downtown.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:16 am

AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll love the music scene, if that's what you want. Great food, great bars, great music, and great scenery. Can't be beat, especially this time of year, the wildflowers are off the charts this year.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

sw733

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 6):
Can't be beat

yes it can, by San Antonio     

mayor

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 5):
Quoting sw733 (Reply 3):

My thoughts exactly. And everything is in walking distance downtown.

Exactly. Chicago would have my vote.......plus a host of great museums.

Just a note on the spontaneous part. My daughter and I once flew to London for a weekend, just so she could buy a pair of Doc Martens, there.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

sw733

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 8):
Just a note on the spontaneous part. My daughter and I once flew to London for a weekend, just so she could buy a pair of Doc Martens, there.

I did WDH-JNB-MUC for a beer...

mayor

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
I did WDH-JNB-MUC for a beer...

At least yours was worthwile! We went SLC-LAX/DL (non-rev) and LAX-LHR on Virgin (codeshare at the time).

We took the tube into London and got off at Hammersmith. Coming out of the station, immediately across the street was a store selling Doc Martens. If I had been smart, we would have bought them there, turned around, got on the tube and gone back to LHR and gone home. But, I wasn't.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen