Jerseyguy

$781RT PHL-FCO October Buy Or Wait?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 am

Looking for my parents on there trip to rome on a cruise. Will be there from Oct 6th to October 22nd. They want a non-stop and USAirways has one for $781RT All in. Is this a good fare? Should I tell them to wait or buy now? I can also do CO EWR-FCO. Also what about USAirways economy service vs CO? CO is on a 767 and US is a A330.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

PI4EVER

RE: $781RT PHL-FCO October Buy Or Wait?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 pm

October is still a strong month for travel to Italy - the weather is very pleasant - so I suspect fares will hold strong. The fares in effect now for these dates in October are very good; fares to Europe range upward to $1000 for some September travel dates. I recommend buying now. Both carriers offer the "lower fare" guarantee if you find it later on.
CO from EWR prices at $871 Y and US from PHL is $782. Is CO service worth the extra $89 per ticket price? It appears you are conveniently located to either EWR or PHL. Either city/airport have an advantage for travel time from home, parking options etc? Involved with a particular frequent flyer program?
I would suspect public opinion on this forum would recommend CO. Schedules are comparable - US offers a later morning departure from FCO that is more convenient - and both aircraft are comparable. CO offers a decent meal with alcohol for purchase and in-seat entertainment. We can debate all day about Y food but if the entertainment feature is really important, I feel CO would have the better service. Service on the US A330 is acceptable for the most part, but overall travel experience can be hit or miss.
I hope your parents are at least staying in Rome overnight coming and going to/from the ship. That $178 savings can go towards that hotel expense, a shore excursion off the ship or a cocktail each night at dinner. It also can be viewed as pennies when you consider the cost of a trip or cruise to Europe to start with.
I probably haven't helped you specifically make a decision. You know your parents likes and dislikes so regardless make a decision that overall helps them have a great trip from start to finish. I hope CO or US does not disappoint - you or them.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

JKJ777

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:56 am

Go with the CO option. I am sure the 764 on CO is way better than the 762 or A33% of US. Plus, the service on CO is awesome. As a DL elite, I really miss having CO on my team.....Otherwise, I agree, the price is good and worth booking at this point. If you are worried the price may drop a lot, then you can buy insurance. If you see the price drop dramatically, you can cancel the ticket at no further cost and then book the new fare.

HOMER71

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 pm

CO's 764s has the basic personal tv (6 or 7 channels) whereas US's 330s has AVOD.

CO's coach seats have an extra inch (legroom and width)
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."