Pe@rson
Topic Author

Question About IAH And CO

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 pm

My sister-in-law booked LON-IAH-LAS-IAH-LON. But since booking that, she has moved to BWI for work reasons. She'll be back in the UK for a family visit and will then use LON-IAH-LAS for a holiday with her boyfriend. On the return, she now wants to fly LAS-IAH-BWI. She just told me that she plans on disembarking in IAH and getting on a separate, probably non-CO, flight based on the lowest price. She suggested that WN is the cheapest option and might well fly HOU-BWI. Is she able to fly LAS-IAH with CO and then disembark and fly another carrier? Surely not?!

Thanks!

[Edited 2010-04-28 06:14:07]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

IAHFLYR

RE: Question About IAH And CO

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:30 pm

She won't be held hostage at IAH!!  

There should be no problem at all with changing airlines after she arrives at IAH. If she decides to fly another airline she will be required to change termials via the underground tram system most likely to Terminal A from either Terminal C or E as CO utilizes both terminals for their traffic. She would need to follow the signs to Terminal C baggage claim and then continue to the level beneath baggage claim to get on the tram. The time from Terminal C to Terminal A should not be more than 10 minutes, if that long.

Should her plans have to flying from HOU-BWI, then it would be very wise to allow around 3 hours to get out of IAH across town and to her gate at HOU, it won't take that long but better to play it safe.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks.

So, on a LAS-IAH-LON ticket, she could get off in IAH, thus not using her IAH-LON portion, and fly to BWI with a carrier with the cheapest fare and with a completely separate ticket?

[Edited 2010-04-28 06:40:46]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

planeguy727

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Yes Pe@rson she can do that. She will likely be giving up the residual value of the unflown segment, but it sounds like that is not an issue.

The one thing to monitor is baggage. If she checks it through she will need to ensure it is checked only to IAH on the return segment. It's best if she can avoid checking bags as it will not raise any questions.

I always suggest that pax advise the airline they won't be continuing on the next flight (do so after reaching IAH). Some feel differently about this idea.

And it might be worth checking to see if changing the ticket would be less expensive than dropping the IAH-LON segment and flying LAS-IAH-BWI on the return. Sometimes it is.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Okay, great. Thanks planeguy!