varigb707
Topic Author

Question: Best Way To Go Thru Security @ Airport?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm

I'll be going on vacation in a few weeks. I'll bring my whole photo gear (2 camera bodies, lenses, filters,etc);an Ipod and my notebook, which i will store in my new Tamrac backpack.
Now the question is : what's the best way to go thru security, after check in, without causing delays on that line? I will bring my back pack as a carry on, to avoid losses or damages.

Should i place everything on the security bin? Should i open (turn on) the notebook and ipod?
Should i wait for instruction from the TSA team?

I just want this portion of the trip to be nice and smooth without causing any distress to any passengers, behind me.
As well as to all TSA folks.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Cadet57

RE: Question: Best Way To Go Thru Security @ Airpo

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Thread starter):
Should i place everything on the security bin? Should i open (turn on) the notebook and ipod?

I've always put my cellphone, laptop and ipod in the bin, the cameras and lenses I sent thru still in my bag. I did this in JFK and SAN in January, never had a problem.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Mudboy

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

As much as fly, and as tight as security is at Baghdad Int. I have found that it speeds things up, if I empty my pockets ahead of time, and place the contents in a pocket of my carry-on, take off my watch and belt and stick then in my carry-on when I get up to the screening belt. So it goes like this: Shoes on belt, Laptop in bin on belt, carry-on with all other electronics in it. This gets me through fast everytime. I do sometimes send my belt through wit my shoes, that always go first. This way, if they want to search my bag, I can at least put my shoes and belt on, while I am waiting for the carry-on to come out. I hope this helps!

2H4

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Do you guys ever take tripods and/or monopods as carry-on? Or do those have to be checked, lest someone use them to hijack the aircraft?   
Intentionally Left Blank

varigb707
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
I've always put my cellphone, laptop and ipod in the bin, the cameras and lenses I sent thru still in my bag. I did this in JFK and SAN in January, never had a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 2):
So it goes like this: Shoes on belt, Laptop in bin on belt, carry-on with all other electronics in it. This gets me through fast everytime. I do sometimes send my belt through wit my shoes, that always go first. This way, if they want to search my bag, I can at least put my shoes and belt on, while I am waiting for the carry-on to come out. I hope this helps!

It sure helps. You also remind of Clooney's movie Up in the Air. At one scene he did just like that while going thu security.

Thank you all.   

Mudboy

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 4):
It sure helps. You also remind of Clooney's movie Up in the Air. At one scene he did just like that while going thu security.

Now I am going to have to get on Amazon, and order this to see what you are talking about? LOL

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 3):
Do you guys ever take tripods and/or monopods as carry-on? Or do those have to be checked, lest someone use them to hijack the aircraft?

I have never, are we planning a trip and taking lots of pics soon?? LOL

2H4

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 4):
Clooney's movie Up in the Air. At one scene he did just like that while going thu security.

That was a great scene.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 5):
I have never, are we planning a trip and taking lots of pics soon?? LOL

No, I actually don't have a decent tripod (or monopod) at the moment. I've just gone without one while traveling. However, I've been wondering whether they can go as carry-on for future reference.
Intentionally Left Blank

varigb707
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 5):
Now I am going to have to get on Amazon, and order this to see what you are talking about? LOL

netlfix it.

MadameConcorde

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Meke sure you take all these things off ahead of time, belit, coins, anything metallic, your jacket, wear crappy socks as you will have to remove your shoes and put them in the box, get your laptop out and place it in a separate box. Th e same goes with any liquids you may have with you.

I am always surprised how so many people always do these things at the very last minute right when they get to the boxes and are wasting everybody's precious time with these long lines.  
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Cadet57

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 3):

I took one thru security at BDL and MSY once, they didn't say anything.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

B737200

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I've been through Heathrow once, Gatwick, Glasgow and Malta twice this year, they aren't the US but London is pretty high security so I'll share my opinion.

I took my laptop out and had it x-rayed seperately, my D200 and 1 lens stayed in the bag for X-raying. I had no problems, my belt gave me more trouble so you may want to take that off. I wouldn't take all your cameras out unless they tell you to do so, since you have to pack them up again after and the checkpoint may get crowded with people putting their shoes back on and repacking laptops and such.

In my experience I get more "stuck" after waiting for space to sort my stuff out, etc.

Hope this helps.
Lady Guinness is ready to fly...

varigb707
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm

It sure did. Thanks.
Hope this helps.

Quoting b737200 (Reply 10):
Hope this helps.

RJLover

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm

My process is...

After check-in, I stand off to the side and take anything out of my pockets and put it in my carry-on. That includes wallet, keys, pens, etc. If I have the time I also take off my belt and put it in the carry-on. I then proceed to security and while standing in that line I untie my shoelaces and take my laptop out of the bag and hold it. When I get to the x-ray machine I place my items on the belt as such: Shoes in a bin (plus the belt if I didn't put it in the carry-on), laptop in its own bin then the carry-on itself. I go through the WTMD and collect my stuff on the other side. Instead of standing right at the end of the x-ray machine while putting on my shoes/belt, I'll grab my bins and move to side, out of the way and put myself back togeather.

After flying 221 commercial flights (as a passenger) in 2009 and 43 so far this year, I pride myself on being able to clear security very quickly.
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YHM-YUL-YHZ Next Flight(s):

Braybuddy

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm

As a couple of others have mentioned, I find the handiest way is to put your mobile, coins, watch, belt etc in your carry-on, which you then put on the belt. All you need do then is remove your bag of liquids and put it in the tray. Simple as that, and it minimises the risk of you losing anything, or it being stolen. I've had coins "disappear" from the tray on a couple of occasions, and not in countries you would expect it to happen either.

mckvakk

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:22 am

On my way from check-in to security i put everything metal in my bag, and take my laptop out when I reach the belt, leaving my camera in the bag. Never been a problem. I wear sneakers so I rarely get asked to take them
off at security, but if I do it takes half a second to take off and one second to put on after.