CXB77L
Topic Author

Low Cost Flight Options From GVA?

Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 am

One of my friends will be spending three weeks in GVA at the end of June to early July, and he asked me about budget flight options to go and explore other cities in Europe while he's there. Cities such as Barcelona, London, Paris, Venice, Nice etc are on the list of places to see, depending on the affordability of the tickets. Since I'm not familiar with European airlines (and especially budget airlines), I was wondering if anyone here has any advice, recommendations or suggestions as to which airlines would offer the best value?

On that note, is it advisable to book inter-European flights early to get the best price, or can they be booked, say, within a week and still be relatively cheap?

[Edited 2010-05-03 23:49:48]
Boeing 777 fanboy

initious

RE: Low Cost Flight Options From GVA?

Tue May 04, 2010 6:40 am

You could try U2, they have a franchise based in GVA which connects you to the cities you mentioned. I'd recommend booking earlier, last minute LCC fares would be disastrous. If going to NCE, you can transit in LGW, LTN or STN with U2 also.
One way I will fly around the world!

aivisavia

Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 am

Baboo? That could be cheap !

TurkishWings

Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 am

Quoting Initious (Reply 1):
If going to NCE, you can transit in LGW, LTN or STN with U2 also.

I think U2 flies GVA-NCE non-stop. I flew that route a few years ago....
Coffee - Tea or Me?

initious

Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 3):

I think U2 flies GVA-NCE non-stop. I flew that route a few years ago....

Sorry my bad, did not notice that. 
One way I will fly around the world!

ajd1992

Tue May 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Easyjet are probably the cheapest if you book far enough in advance - I managed to get Liverpool-Geneva-Liverpool for 2 people for just under 60GBP all in.

Quoting CXB77L (Thread starter):
On that note, is it advisable to book inter-European flights early to get the best price, or can they be booked, say, within a week and still be relatively cheap?

He should probably start booking now - it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere so the schools are out and prices go sky high. He probably won't be able to book a week in advance even if he wanted to, if he was going somewhere warm (and chances are, he will) the availability might be zero.

debonair

Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 pm

If he wanna see Scandinavia, Oslo is on offer with norwegian.no! Also Baboo is offering sometimes "special offers"- have a look!

Viscount724

Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

EasyJet has been by far the largest operator at GVA for the past few years, now accounting for over 35% of all passengers. However other carriers often offer very attractive fares so it's worth checking the major carriers also. I have often found fares within Europe on LX/KL/BA/LH etc. (over 40 scheduled carriers serve GVA) can be lower than EasyJet and other so-called low-cost carriers, especially when booked closer to departure time. If you can book long in advance, the low-cost carriers are more likely to be the cheapest.