sq_ek_freak

United Non-PS Domestic First Class Service

Tue May 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey guys, I'm about to embark upon two weeks of carefully crafted leave and making a trip to New Orleans with two friends of mine. So I'm flying into JFK and then flying on United to MSY via ORD. We're in First Class I believe as of now, and it got me thinking - what is United offering these days in domestic First outside of PS? I've flown First and Business of PS and it's great - like a full on international flight. Given that these are relatively short hops on A320's is there even any meal service offered, or is it just drinks and pretzels, difference being booze is free and service in glassware versus plastic cups. Are pre take off drinks offered? How does UA service compare to the other legacies on similar length legs on comparable aircraft?
Keep Discovering

DocLightning

RE: United Non-PS Domestic First Class Service

Tue May 04, 2010 3:41 pm

On SAN-SFO, I was in F on UA and got pre-takeoff drinks (orange juice or water) in plastic cups. Inflight service was the same with the same packet of nuts/pretzels that they get back in Y. Admittedly it's a 70-minute flight so I'm not expecting Caviar, Mesclun salad with balsamic vinaigrette, Lobster thermadour, and Baked Alaska, but glassware would have been a nice touch.

I've been very disappointed with F-class domestic service on the majors I've tried lately (NW and UA). I've found it no different than Y-class other than seat pitch (which isn't that impressive) and width (which I don't need).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Boston92

Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Pre departure drinks are always in plasticware. In flight drink service is always in glassware. As for the OP's flights, first off, UA doesn't fly JFK-ORD, so just make sure you get yourself to the correct airport! Secondly, meals depend of what time of day you are flying.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Transpac787

Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Thread starter):
How does UA service compare to the other legacies on similar length legs on comparable aircraft?

Is ORD-MSY on United mainline or United Express these days??

If it's on mainline, ORD-MSY *should* be long enough that you get a meal in First Class, so long as it's during the meal times. If it's on a UAX flight, you'll get a snackbox in First.

As for getting to ORD... UA only flies JFK-IAD, are you ground transferring to LGA then flying to ORD??

Cubsrule

Tue May 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
I've been very disappointed with F-class domestic service on the majors I've tried lately (NW and UA). I've found it no different than Y-class other than seat pitch (which isn't that impressive) and width (which I don't need).

I'd agree with that sentiment as to UA and NW/DL, but not AA, where they actually make an effort with food and generally good service.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sq_ek_freak

Tue May 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 3):
As for getting to ORD... UA only flies JFK-IAD, are you ground transferring to LGA then flying to ORD??
Quoting Boston92 (Reply 2):
first off, UA doesn't fly JFK-ORD, so just make sure you get yourself to the correct airport!

Haha thanks, we're actually spending a few days in New York before heading off to ORD/MSY through LGA.  
Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 3):
Is ORD-MSY on United mainline or United Express these days??

As far as I know it's UA mainline on an A320...
Keep Discovering