MEACEDAR
Topic Author

United Systemwide Upgrade Question

Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey a.netters,

I had a quick question regarding United's Systemwide Upgrades. I have a sponsor who is willing to give me one of his upgrades for an upcoming trip from MCO to LHR via IAD. The flights are as follows:

MCO-IAD UA 444
IAD-LHR BD4464 operated by UA924

As you can see, the IAD-LHR segment is a codeshare with BMI, but still being flown by a UA aircraft. Will United still honor the upgrade since it is indeed their flight?

LAXintl

RE: United Systemwide Upgrade Question

Tue May 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Yes, but on a low priority airport stand-by basis.

See;

Quote:
Valid carrier
Flights marketed and operated by United, United Express and Lufthansa.
Upgrades on Lufthansa are on standby basis only and may only be requested through Mileage Plus Customer Service. See Obtaining Paper Certificates for Systemwide Upgrades on Lufthansa section for details.

For flights operated by United but marketed by another airline, upgrades are permitted on a standby basis at the airport only, subject to availability.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,53018,00.html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MadameConcorde

RE: United Systemwide Upgrade Question

Wed May 26, 2010 8:52 am

Make sure the ticketed fare you are travelling on is upgradable with a SWU. Not all fares are.

A friend wanted to e-SWU me from Frankfurt to Buenos Aires and back early in May and the SWUs were turned down by the system because I was not ticketed in the SWU iupgradable fare.

The time when all ticketed fares were SWU upgradable is long gone.

Now only United metal flights are upgradable with SWUs. Lufthansa flights are too but with paper SWUs at the gate before you board the flight supposing there are seats available for upgrade in your class of service.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde