HAM1981
Topic Author

What Makes LH Successful?

Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 pm

I am asking my self this question and want to know what your opinion is!

What makes LH success? Why can they manage to have so many subsidiary and others don´t ?

Is it only good Management ?

I read here very often ... LH does´nt have PTW and they are not good in this and that!

What do you think ?
flown on: B727,B737,B757,A319,A320,A321,A300

aznmadsci

RE: What Makes LH Successful?

Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Quoting HAM1981 (Thread starter):
LH does´nt have PTW and they are not good in this and that!

Quick question, what is PTW?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

wn700driver

Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I would say diversification is a good bit of it.

LHTecknik is a dominant figure in its industry, LH Cargo does pretty great too. I think they're a relatively conservative airline, but they're not as stagnant as say AA, and occasionally try new things out. They keep what works, do the best they can at it. Which is often also the best the industry can to boot.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

L1011Lover

Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 1):

typo

he meant PTV

very obvious...

Talaier

Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 pm

LH has a very strong exporting economy that supports business pax (and indeed leisure) as well as cargo to pretty much anywhere in the world. Add to that their extensive alliance and feeding flights from European partners and the fact that they use two reasonably sized and well-runned hub airports and you've got most of your answer. The rest of it is probably down to good industrial relations and it's huge size (=economies of scale).

However, I do think that further consolidation in Europe and especially Asia is going to provide a new breed of airlines that will no doubt make LH's life tough.

LipeGIG

Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting Talaier (Reply 4):
LH has a very strong exporting economy that supports business pax (and indeed leisure) as well as cargo to pretty much anywhere in the world. Add to that their extensive alliance and feeding flights from European partners and the fact that they use two reasonably sized and well-runned hub airports and you've got most of your answer. The rest of it is probably down to good industrial relations and it's huge size (=economies of scale).

I would complement saying LH is the flag carrier of a country that is the King of Foreign Trade. With all types of industries and services, Germany also developed a very strong "brand" and recognition for quality that drives up demand for their products and services. Also, they have been very successful in installing subsidiaries around the world, which provide a strong business and VFR component.

LH is the airline that take the most advantage from it, was more focused in keep their long haul product than to fight for domestic and regional operations (in my view), and keep updating it's product while continues to have crews that make the difference.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

EDICHC

Tue May 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 2):
I think they're a relatively conservative airline,

Where I think LH can be trusted as a brand is that they are very consistent. To me they are not THE best in terms of service for my money that would be SQ. But LH are good and consistent and way ahead of any European competition.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

huaiwei

Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm

And they take global alliances seriously. Very seriously, much more seriously than some of its competitors like BA who seems only interested in cornering the Anglo-sphere market. For this reason, therefore, you find LH working hard to build a presence in the growth markets of the world, flying to far more destinations in Asia than any other European carrier baring a combined AF/KL, who is only slightly ahead in some markets, and forming film partnerships with other carriers to connect to its global network.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

PanHAM

Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

LH is, meanwhile, a European carrier however with a base in an economically strong country. But that's not even half the rent.

It's the people actually, they can select from the best on the market as they have a good number of applicants for each job opening. They breed their own middle management since decades "Luftverkehrskaufmann" is a traineeship where young people are trained in various jobs inside the company, in Germany and oversaes. They move around various bases in that time. . That takes three years for the degree and meanwhile studies at the European Business School in Wiesbaden are included in that course. These people form the backbone of the company. Same as the pilots who are all trained inside the company. For top management careers, they can select from the most brilliant University graduates.
powered by Eierlikör

connector4you

Tue May 25, 2010 7:11 pm

It’s really not that complicated to be successful if you really work hard and put the market demand at the core of your operational schedule as opposed to do very little and just speculate yields on markets with little or no competition.

Lufthansa managed to become the airline that offers multiple options, at reasonable prices as opposed to “this is where, when and how we fly and expect you to bid an arm and leg for one of our seats”.

That’s why Lufthansa is reasonably perceived as a consistent airline when compared with those who alter their routes and destinations every other month in pursuit of seasonal higher yields.

Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 pm

LH is constant in quality since decades. Maybe some other airlines are punctually better in determined categories, but when you fly LH, no matter from where to where (for example in my case often Brazil-Asia), you simply know what to expect. Here, we are not talking about elegance or frills. We are talking about quality at the continuous "service line" starting with booking and ending with baggage handling at destination.

Other pluspoint worked out well by them is the miles + more benefits for frequent travelers. It´s simply a very good program, and attracts frequent travelers due to the frills it offers.

Naturally safety is a leading point as well: LH is among the safest airlines in the industry.

N1120A

Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 1):

PTV. W = V in German. V = Fow. No W sound in the language.

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 2):
I would say diversification is a good bit of it.

Not to mention vertical integration.

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 3):

very obvious...

To a German or German speaker who understands the whole W/V thing. A lot of Germans actually make that mistake, mistaking sound for form.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

peanuts

Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 pm

LH=Germany

Germany=Daimler (Mercedes), Porsche, BMW, Volkswagen (+Audi), Siemens, Bosch, Adidas, Bayer, T-Mobile, Miele plus numerous beer brands  

Germany has a reputation the uphold. They work very very hard, these folks. Good for them.

XA744

Tue May 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Quoting HAM1981 (Thread starter):
What makes LH success?

... Just reliability... dependability...

Have flown them extensively... never let down !!!

Best regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

solarflyer22

Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

They're well run in general. I do think part of their success is that their hub airports have had significant investments made into them. Frankfurt and Munich airports are better airports to operate out of than say Heathrow or CDG. They operate a mixed Airbus/Boeing fleet which is interesting as well but despite the larger number of aircraft types they seem to do quite well. It is interesting in my mind that they are not based out of Berlin. I do think the German government does take a small piece of the credit for their success. They have't done anything to throw LH under the bus so to speak and they certainly take part in the airport planning. LH has also integrated acquired airlines fairly well. Swiss for example.

Rj111

Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 pm

The same reason the Deutschlanders tonk ass at every World Cup despite having seemingly average players.

German efficiency of course.

[Edited 2010-05-25 14:00:31]

haddock0815

Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 15):
The same reason the Deutschlanders tonk ass at every World Cup despite having seemingly average players.

German efficiency of course.

So you better hope that BA will never ever have a penalty shoot- out!

macc

Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 pm

not to forget a solid and sustained management which is grown inhouse. no ramazottis from outside who invent flying new each day.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

Rj111

Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 pm

The funny thing is they have a staggering amount of quads both in service and on order. Which highlights, contrary to what many on here would have you believe, how much more to running a successful airline there is than the amount of fuel your aircraft burns.

macsog6

Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 am

LH has long had a good solid business plan, a mangement team that understands that plan, employees that support that plan, and pax that love to fly them, including me. And they have been doing this for a number of years.

They have not jumped on the bandwagons that other carriers have and over-expanded in good times and then paid the price in slow times.

In short, good management for a very long time.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

UALWN

Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 18):
The funny thing is they have a staggering amount of quads both in service and on order. Which highlights, contrary to what many on here would have you believe, how much more to running a successful airline there is than the amount of fuel your aircraft burns.

Indeed. I run a thread about this a while ago. Right now LH has 81 quads, more than anybody else: 26 343s, 24 346s, 30 744s, 1 388, plus 14 388s and 20 748s on order. The only wide-body twins they operate are 15 333s, with none on order.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

keesje

Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 am

A captive large loyal home market. The rest is extra.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

rabenschlag

Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

For quite a while, the company was/is run by engineers:

Mayrhuber (03-now): mechanical engineering
Weber (91-03): aerospace engineering
Ruhnau (83-91): electrical engineering

I don't know whether this was important for their alleged success, but I think it is an interesting fact.

Nicoeddf

Wed May 26, 2010 10:44 am

Quoting keesje (Reply 21):

It certainly isn't as easy as that. But it contributes.

PanHAM

Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 am

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 22):
Ruhnau (83-91): electrical engineering

Ruhnau should be re-named Ruinau, because he almost crashed LH. Weber turned the company around to where it is today, from a state owned enterprise to 100% market flotation.

Quoting keesje (Reply 21):

Not by far. The LH market share has been hovering around 30-35% in most years. KL AF SK BA have been pilfering most markets in Germany for decades. Sure, LH does the same in other European markets. LH has managed to become a European airline even before the single market was realised. OTH, a strong competeitor on the home market has emerged with AB, while the European competetors have rather lost market shares, may be not that mch to LH but to the Gulf carriers.
powered by Eierlikör

keesje

Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Quoting Nicoeddf (Reply 23):
It certainly isn't as easy as that.
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 24):
Not by far.

The majority of passengers are german, because of the dominant position in the big German market. They are the one they pay most because of the many direct connections from their origins and cultivated preference for the home carrier. A captive market. Passengers from the rest Europe don't care to much about the LH compared to BA and AF/KLM and have to be bought away at lower margins. It's not like KLM, SQ or EK that a small percentage locals on board (KLM 20%).

But maybe I'm all wrong and its because of excellent quality, leadership & vision.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Hywel

Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I once read that only 30% of the LH group's profit comes from passenger flights. The other 70% comes from LSG Skychefs, LH cargo, LH Technik (which services A320s for hundreds of airlines worldwide) etc. they have so many subsidiaries.

PanHAM

Wed May 26, 2010 12:16 pm

@ keesje - LH has a strong domestic route network and you may be right when most passengers on those flights are German or people living in germany. That may however be different on the rozutes connecting to long haul destinations.

Besides that the number of German passengers on all LH flights is around 30%, pretty much the same the market share is they have out of Germany. I live near FRA and usually on flights to and from FRA one can experience the doibversoity of nationalities. Once I came home from TLV on a full 747 and there were 9 people - in words nine - standing at the baggage conveyor. The others connected all over the world and that was certanly not Germans flyng from Isreal to the USA. People fly from BHX via FRA to GOT and all possible connections.

FRA plus Star Alliance has a 70% market share at FRA, that's much, but nowhere near a captive market. I have an alternative to most of the destinations I am flying to. That is even more so at other markets in Germany. I have routed air cargo for many years at Hamburg. I could use KL, BE/BA, SK and SN who where strong there or truck to FRA to connect to anyone flying there from AC and AI to PA and TW.

Captive market? No such thing here.