MEACEDAR
Topic Author

United- Ticket Correction?

Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 am

Hey a.netters, I just booked a flight on United, straight from them and I made a silly mistake that I only realized after I booked it. I accidentally put myself as MRS, rather than MR. I can't seem to change it online. What do you think I should do?

flying_727

RE: United- Ticket Correction?

Thu May 27, 2010 4:39 am

Call the reservations number. They may not be able to change this once your ticket is issued, and may have to cancel it and you'll have to repurchase.

flying_727
On ATA, You're On Vacation

lhr380

Thu May 27, 2010 4:47 am

Quoting Flying_727 (Reply 1):
Call the reservations number. They may not be able to change this once your ticket is issued, and may have to cancel it and you'll have to repurchase.

Title does not really matter, it will be obvious (I hope) that is a simple mistake, no need to cancel and repurchase at all.

Give them a call and let them know, they can put a message in the booking.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Crosscheck007

Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 am

This should be a simple matter that you can solve providing you can prove your identity (I think this should not be difficult). All the agent/res needs is proof of identification and then they can change the name mistake and will remark the record. No need to cancel the reservation and repurchase!

Cheers,

Je l'attends pas un homme. J'apporte le parti, j'apporte le feu d'artifice.

ual747den

Thu May 27, 2010 5:04 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 2):
Title does not really matter, it will be obvious (I hope) that is a simple mistake, no need to cancel and repurchase at all.

Give them a call and let them know, they can put a message in the booking.

Exactly its not that big of a deal but call and see if it can be changed, I think they should be able to do it. The only place that you might run into any trouble at all is TSA but that will just mean additional screening which is really no big deal at all.

Enjoy your flight, it should be a great, and be sure to check out Ch. 9!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

TVNWZ

Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 4):
Exactly its not that big of a deal but call and see if it can be changed, I think they should be able to do it

It can be a big deal! My girlfriend put in Mr. and was sent back to the counter by Homeland Security. She almost missed her flight. You can change it. It has to be done IN PERSON at the counter. I would do it. All it takes is one Boy Scout HSA agent and you could be sunk.

MEACEDAR
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I called up United and they told me that they are going to change it. The representative said that it could be a hassle in terms of dealing with security. Nonetheless, he simply canceled the reservation and reissued the tickets. It took a mere 10 minutes on the telephone. Good stuff  

PWMRamper

Sun May 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 5):
It can be a big deal! My girlfriend put in Mr. and was sent back to the counter by Homeland Security. She almost missed her flight. You can change it. It has to be done IN PERSON at the counter. I would do it. All it takes is one Boy Scout HSA agent and you could be sunk.

Can't be done once the ticket is issued. It involves refunding the ticket and issuing a new one, and if it's day off, that's quite frequently a HUGE cost difference.

The only reason the OP was able to have it done is because United has a 24 hour refund policy, so the agent presumably refunded the whole ticket and rebuilt the reservation.

lhr380

Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting pwmramper (Reply 7):
Can't be done once the ticket is issued. It involves refunding the ticket and issuing a new one, and if it's day off, that's quite frequently a HUGE cost difference.

The only reason the OP was able to have it done is because United has a 24 hour refund policy, so the agent presumably refunded the whole ticket and rebuilt the reservation.

UA must be a little backward. If I saw a comment about a Mr/ Mrs I THINK there is something in check in where I can amend it, if not, its a very simple reissue that does NOT involve refunding or anything like that. There is no needed to cancel and rebuild the itinerary.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)