Pe@rson
Topic Author

Aviation Magazines That You Get

Thu May 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Thought it would be fun to ask A.nutters about which aviation magazines they get and to invite comments on them. I’ll start…

What aviation magazines do you get?

Air Transport World (ATW)
Airliner World
Airports of the World
Low Cost and Regional Airline Business (LCRAB)

How often do you get them?

ATW – monthly
Airliner World – monthly
Airports of the World – every 2 months
LCRAB – every quarter

Do you have any as a subscription?

Yes, for ATW and LCRAB. However, I get Airliner World and Airports of the World in a local WHSmith.

What do you like most about them? Alternatively, what are your favourite sections?

ATW – professional content, decent analysis, excellently written, often covers key issues/developments, free-of-charge
Airliner World – sometimes good content, its greater focus on airlines, often excellent photos
Airports of the World – airport-specific, often good articles on lesser-known airports
LCRAB– more specific to my interests (low cost carriers), more professional in content, covers key issues/developments, free-of-charge

What do you least like about them? Alternatively, what are your least favourite sections?

ATW – nothing much, but perhaps very wide-reaching content
Airliner World – editorial mistakes, quite expensive (£4.20) for a monthly magazine, too many colours, often doesn’t even consider the financial perspective in whatever (airport/airline) writing about
Airports of the World – often doesn't even consider the financial perspective in discussing airports
LCRAB – too infrequently published

[Edited 2010-05-27 09:25:41]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

HT

RE: Aviation Magazines That You Get

Thu May 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Over here in Europe I hold a direct subscription for Airways (monthly).
Even though printed in the U.S. the magazine is in my postbox usually the same day (or even earlier) it hits newspaper stand in the U.S. - which is about 28 days earlier than hitting the newspaper stands in the U.K.

The mix of trip reports (often in Business Class), in-depth reports about airlines and/or airports coupled with personal stories told by aviation people (most of them flying) makes for a very good read. And it covers the whole globe.

In the current June-issue it has a report about a airline local to HAJ flying a shuttle between the Northfrisian islands of Sylt and Föhr during summer utilizing a Antonov 2 registered D-FJKA.
The report is written by a german guy, who IIRC is also active here on A.net.
I am linking the following pic specially, as I was flying into and out of BRE (from HAJ) on D-FJKA on the day the picture was taken (celebration of 100 years of flying in Bremen):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alejandro Ruiz

________
Local magazine Aero International I buy from time to time as reading stuff when travelling.
Swiss magazine Jetstream (also co-run by an A.netter, but inactive recently) gets procured infrequently.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

OA260

Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Used to get them all but now dont bother with any of them. Everything is on the Net know anyway and I have enough in my recycling bin as it is .

Luxair747SP

Thu May 27, 2010 7:12 pm

I get the german " AERO International " every four weeks and I think it's one of the best I ever had, there are several more around Europe, but I tried a lot, and this one was, is and will ever be my first choise =)
My blog about travelling in Moscow & Russia:
https://russiainanutshell.wordpress.com

Viscount724

Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

The only one I subscribe to now is Aviation Week & Space Technology which is one of the most authoritative aviation news magazines, along with Flight International.

When I was entitled to free subscriptions due to my employment in the industry I also got Airline Business (one of the best on airline management issues, interviews with CEOs etc.), Flight International, and Air Transport World. Now I just use their websites where they have quite a bit of content available without a subscription.

eicvd

Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 pm

I buy both Airliner World & Airports of the World. I like Airliner World for its good mix of articles on certain aircraft/airlines/airports & special reports like "From the flighdeck" articles. Im not to interested in those historical features, tend to skip through them. Looking forward too the next edition of both magazines, features on my 2 favourite airports PMI & DUB (well I wouldnt call DUB a favourite but it is my local)
COYBIB

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 8:14 am

Quoting eicvd (Reply 5):
Im not to interested in those historical features, tend to skip through them.

Likewise with me.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
Airline Business (one of the best on airline management issues, interviews with CEOs etc.)

Yeah, that's great - I get it through my university.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
Flight International

I get this occasionally, such as when there's a particular feature or add-on or whatever.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jetstar

Sat May 29, 2010 11:15 pm

1. Aviation Week and Space Technology
2. Business & Commercial Aviation
3. Air Transport World
4. Flying
5. AOPA Pilot
6. Professional Pilot
7. Smithsonian Air & Space
8. Cessna Pilots Association magazine
9. DOM (Director of Maintenance)
10. Trade-A-Plane
11. AMT (Aviation Maintenance Technician)
12. Air Classics

Needless to say the postman really loves me, with all the other mail we get and the mail order catalogs my wife gets, he says we get the most mail on his route.

JetStar

B747forever

Sun May 30, 2010 2:32 pm

I get both Airliner World and Airports of the World. I also buy from time to time a Swedish aviation magazine.
Work Hard, Fly Right

YVRLTN

Mon May 31, 2010 3:24 am

I get Airliner World. I first got it before the amount of info was available on the web that there is today, plus my parents didnt have the internet anyway. I still get it, as although the news is pretty out of date by the time it actually gets to me in YVR, the articles are pretty interesting and I like the quantity & variety of photos, particularly the snapshots from the past.

I get Airports of the World when travelling so I have something extra to read.

I used to get World Airline Fleet News. Used to love that magazine, but I can see why that had to end with the same information being available online on the likes of airfleets and skyliner.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

HT

Mon May 31, 2010 6:05 am

Quoting jetstar (Reply 7):
3. Air Transport World
4. Flying
5. AOPA Pilot
6. Professional Pilot
10. Trade-A-Plane
12. Air Classics

Geez !
Are these all monthly publications ? If so, do you really manage to read through all of them ? I hardly am able to read through the single magazine I get before the next issue arrives ... (Recently I changed to reading it during my lunch break, so this helped).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Ryan h

Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

The only two magazines I get every month is Australian Aviation (subscription) and airliner world.

I manage to get a few photos in Australian Aviation here and there too.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

PGNCS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm

I have gotten most all of these at one time or another, but now only get AW&ST, ATW, and Air Line Pilot, which promptly goes in my recycle bin without being opened. My favorite is ATW, which I read nearly cover to cover. I used to read AW&ST cover to cover, but now skip through most of the satellite and space stuff, except some of the manned spaceflight articles. I like AW&ST for technical reporting on aircraft and systems. I used to get Airways, but really didn't enjoy wading through many of the historical pieces, and really disliked a lot of the pretentious "There I was" stories; I especially found Rick Drury to be trying (I know a lot of people disagree, and that's fine). I loved World Airline Fleet News, and was sorry when it went out of print. I never liked Flying much, either. Some of the training stuff in AOPA Pilot is good, even though I am no longer a member (I might re-join if they would stop calling my house telling me why it was imperative that I do so.) B&CA is good for the non-airline side of the house; some of their safety pieces are excellent.

chepos

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 pm

I buy Airways magazine as soon as it comes out at my local Borders, whenever I see the Airliner World I get it as well.
I used to get Airliners magazine but I have't seen it at my local bookstore in a while, so I guess it is no longer printed.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

PGNCS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 13):
I used to get Airliners magazine but I have't seen it at my local bookstore in a while, so I guess it is no longer printed.

Yes it is. You can subscribe if it's not in your bookstore.

falstaff

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:57 am

I subscribe to Airways. I buy Airliners from time to time.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:06 am

Airways Magazine-monthly, subscriber since '97
Aviation Weekly and Space Technology-weekly
Air Cargo World-monthly
Air Transport World

Two for work and two for fun.
Go big or go home

jetstar

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Quoting jetstar (Reply 7):
3. Air Transport World
4. Flying
5. AOPA Pilot
6. Professional Pilot
10. Trade-A-Plane
12. Air Classics
Quoting HT (Reply 10):
Geez !
Are these all monthly publications ? If so, do you really manage to read through all of them ? I hardly am able to read through the single magazine I get before the next issue arrives ... (Recently I changed to reading it during my lunch break, so this helped).
-HT

They make good bathroom reading, my wife has told me that I spend so much time in the bathroom I should also move my computer in there.

Aviation Week is a weekly magazine, the rest are monthly, I only subscribe to Aviation Week, Flying, Air & Space and Trade-A-Plane, AOPA Pilot and the Cessna Pilot’s Assoc. magazines are from my membership to these organizations. The rest are free subscriptions.

I like Aviation Week for most of the articles about aviation, although I am not into the space portion of the magazine except for coverage of the space shuttle flights.

Business and Commercial Aviation and Professional Pilot magazines are basically dedicated to corporate aviation, since I spent almost 20 years in that business, I like the articles about the business, I often read about people I knew or worked with.

AOPA Pilot and Flying are good general aviation magazines, I like some of the columnists in these magazines and the overall coverage of the industry.

Air & Space, for its coverage of aviation history.

Air Classics also for its coverage of aviation history, especially of WW2 war birds and vintage prop airliners. I am into WW2 aviation and like reading about the exploits of these often just out of their teens fighter and bomber pilots and their accomplishments and in a lot of cases losing their lives in combat Years ago I was fortunate enough to hitch a ride in the backseat of a P-51 Mustang that I had worked on. We ferried it from HPN to Oxford airport in Connecticut and while over Danbury, CT at 5500 feet the pilot did a few rolls. The take off was awesome, even though he did not use full power, I tried to picture myself as a P-51 pilot during WW2 and greatly admire those who flew these airplanes in combat.

DOM, AMT and the Cessna Pilots Association magazine are full of maintenance articles, as an A&P mechanic with an IA rating, and the owner of a 1964 Cessna 150, I find these articles very helpful.

Air Transport World, I like to read about airline operations and management.

JetStar

The777Man

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:35 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 9):
I used to get World Airline Fleet News. Used to love that magazine, but I can see why that had to end with the same information being available online on the likes of airfleets and skyliner.

I still get it and think it's great to have all the info and pics right in one place rather than have to look on the internet in different places.

I used to subscribe to Aviation Week and Airliners but no more.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PGNCS

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:44 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 18):

I still get it and think it's great to have all the info and pics right in one place rather than have to look on the internet in different places.

Hey The777Man, thanks for this post. For some reason I thought it had gone out of print, and I had long forgotten all about it. Thanks to you I have rediscovered this obscure little gem!  

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I don't bother buying any. I used to, but I found I was just re-reading what I had already read and knew about on the Internet. All it was good for was as a physical reference, but nowadays things become out of date so quickly that the web it the only way of truly staying up to speed unless you are involved.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

CrimsonNL

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I only have a subscription to the leading Dutch aviation magazine, which is issued montly. De Piloot en Vliegtuig (Pilot and airplane) It features a lot of articles about current issues, but also classic aviation and home made planes or other specials. Very nice magazine.

If I could afford it I would sign up for the Flight International!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

YVRLTN

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:53 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 19):
Quoting The777Man (Reply 18):

Hey The777Man, thanks for this post. For some reason I thought it had gone out of print,

Its still available?????? I subscribed and got a letter with the last issue that it would be discontinued as they could no longer publish at a profit due to the competition from the internet. Did it start being published again? I have never seen it again. I would certainly buy it again if available (she never knows what to get me for a xmas pressie....  ).
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

The777Man

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 19):
Hey The777Man, thanks for this post

Glad to be of help!

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 22):
Its still available??????

It disappeared for about 10 months and then reappeared again. Has been published again now for about two years, I think.

For info on how to get hold of them, send me a message or email.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:11 pm

I get all mine occasionally. I don't subscribe or anything like that.

Flying in Ireland
Flight International
Airliners
Aircraft Illustrated
Aviation Week