Mudboy
Topic Author

What South American Countries Do I Need A Visa For

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:25 am

I am looking to take a miliage run when I am home on R&R in the states in July. I would like to go to South America, as to avoid jet lag, since I will cross the pond again 8 days later. I would like to go to Rio, but do not have time to get a visa. What other countries in South America do I have to have a visa as a US Citizen, to visit?
Stay Safe!!

oly720man

RE: What South American Countries Do I Need A Visa

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 am

Quoting Mudboy (Thread starter):
What other countries in South America do I have to have a visa as a US Citizen, to visit?

A quick check suggests Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia need visas. The rest allow 90 days for tourist activities.

More detailed info here....

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4965.html
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Mudboy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am

Quoting oly720man (Reply 1):
More detailed info here....

Thanks for the response.

oly720man

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 2):
Thanks for the response.

No problem... have a good trip.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Viscount724

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 pm

You don't need a visa for Chile but on arrival at SCL airport you have to pay a $131 "reciprocity fee" which is intended to approximately equal the visa fee citizens of Chile have to pay to visit the USA. Several other countries (Canada, Australia, Mexico, UK) are also subject to the reciprocity fee equal to their visa fees. I think the lowest is about $25 and the US fee is the highest. The fee for Canadians visiting Chile is $125.

Cubsrule

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:58 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
You don't need a visa for Chile but on arrival at SCL airport you have to pay a $131 "reciprocity fee" which is intended to approximately equal the visa fee citizens of Chile have to pay to visit the USA.

Correct. Argentina now also charges a reciprocity fee for US citizens. I believe it's the same story as Chile ($131 and for EZE only). Of course, the really traveler who wants to get a few more Oneworld miles can avoid these fees by connecting into interior Argentina over SCL, thereby avoiding the fee at SCL by not entering Chile and the Argentina fee by not entering Argentina at EZE.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sw733

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 5):
Correct. Argentina now also charges a reciprocity fee for US citizens. I believe it's the same story as Chile ($131 and for EZE only). Of course, the really traveler who wants to get a few more Oneworld miles can avoid these fees by connecting into interior Argentina over SCL, thereby avoiding the fee at SCL by not entering Chile and the Argentina fee by not entering Argentina at EZE.

EZE is easy too in that you can just fly to MVD and hop over the border. That's what one of my friends just did. Said it worked like a charm.

DFW36L

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:56 am

I went to EZE on June 5th and the "reciprocity fee" is now $140 USD. You get a sticker in your passport where it's good for 10 years. Buenos Aires was a great city to visit, and it was also nice to cool off from this Texas heat.

Matt
See! I knew American Eagle was First Class all along!