b52murph
Topic Author

United Upgrades--any Tips?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:24 am

Hi all--

Hope this is the right section for this post. Tommorrow afternoon I will be (once again) heading across the Atlantic on UA; my third such trip since January 2010. Routing ABQ-ORD-MUC-VRN. I have premier (no prem exec or 1K) on UA, yet have now struck out 3 times in 3 attempts at trying to use 10K MP miles to upgrade the trans-atlantic segment. FWIW, each time the ticket has been a full (Y) fare tkt; yet, I'm never quite high enough on the list. J is always full; last time I came the closet and was #1 on the un-upgraded list. This time--once again--I'm showing as "waitlisted."

Does anybody with an inside track have any advice to give on how to get the upgrade? Anything I can do at this point before I get to the gate tommorrow?

thanks
b52murph

LAXintl

RE: United Upgrades--any Tips?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:54 am

Well you can pay for C class  

Remember upgrades are divided out first based on elite level, so you will have 1K's, Premier Exec's ahead of you you regardless of the upgrade instruments involved.
While I have been a 1K now for 10+ years, I don't recall I had much luck with anything really till I was a Premier Exec for better part of a decade as well. Hopefully with enough trips and class bonus for the full Y fares you'll earn a higher level in the program very soon.

Oh and ORD-MUC looks very full on Sunday from what I can tell in C class.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

b52murph
Topic Author

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks...definitley looks like no-luck (AGAIN!). FWIW, the "Y" fares are still U.S. gov't "Y" code fares, which I think still codes out differently in the systems than other Y. Likewise, when I tried to purchase the class difference between Y and C (out of pocket vs. taxpayer expense, naturally), the system insisted I use the same credit card for the difference...verboten in my business (the taxpayers don't, and shouldn't pay for such luxuries).

Anybody know a way to get free drink coupons for premiers? At least when I fly the LH codeshares, I get a free drinks in Y...

b52murph

LAXintl

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Quoting b52murph (Reply 2):
the system insisted I use the same credit card for the difference...verboten in my business (the taxpayers don't, and shouldn't pay for such luxuries).

Go see an agent. They can use other forms of payment for any manual add-collect transactions such as upgrades.

Quoting b52murph (Reply 2):
Anybody know a way to get free drink coupons for premiers? At least when I fly the LH codeshares, I get a free drinks in Y...

Ask nicely in the RCC club? I've been offered them on several occasions as part of international itineraries

p.s.- whats in VRN? DOD now have flight activity there also?

[Edited 2010-06-13 12:36:55]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California