COEWR2587
Topic Author

Southwest Or US PHL-PHX One Way

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Flying someone out one-way from PHL to PHX. Both US and Southwest list the same price. Anyone have any ideas on which one they would choose.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

planeguy727

RE: Southwest Or US PHL-PHX One Way

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Generally speaking the Y class experience will be similar.

If the person is into earning miles and has an account with a *A carrier then US, if a Rapid Reward member then WN.

Perhaps preferred time of flights will help you decide.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Are you checking bags? No bag fees on WN. That's a big one. You'll have to pay on US, I imagine. Also, on WN, I think you'll get a complimentary snack box on that flight. US will have Buy-On-Board options.

If seat-selection is important to you, that's a reason to choose US. You can select your seat ahead of time and not have to worry about whether someone ahead of you inline will take the set you want. With WN, you can pay for the "Early Check-in" which will automatically check you in 24 hours before hand so you can get a good number in the A Boarding Group.

Schedules:
US Airways offers 6 nonstops a day
Southwest only has 1 nonstop

Personally, unless flying US offers you an aircraft type you haven't flown before or has a flight at a time of day that is better for you, I'd take WN. While I've never had any bad experiences with US the times I've flown them, I just think overall WN is a better option.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

PI4EVER

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Good point about any loyalty to a frequent flyer program; however, a brief reminder that WN offers free bag check and likely a better airport and flight experience than US from PHL. Food and beverage is not a significant factor on either airline, but overall value and service for the money - vote with your wallet - my business goes to WN.
I have chosen not to fly US since 2007. I have yet to be disappointed in WN, and that includes long transcon segments, direct or with plane changes so I feel I can provide a fair comparison....and I left US as a Chairman's Preferred so no flaming out there by those stalwalt US supporters who think I don't know what I am whining about.
No US bashing intended in any regard. My simple recommendation to your inquiry,
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

staralliance38

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Usually, I would back my full support with US Airways. However, considering that this will be a hub-to-hub flight, the plane might be very packed, overheads full and maybe a chance of having obnoxious fellow passengers. If you are intending to bring a checked bag, maybe just go with WN. If your bag is a carry-on, maybe if you be one of the last to board, you can get it gate checked for free with US. FFPs are also important, so consider them too  

Best wishes on your decision!
Roar, lion, roar

AMS

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I would go for WN, You can check 2 bags Free of charge, Nice Service, and in case you need to change your travel plans WN does not charge you $100 change fee's with Non refundable tickets. With Southwest you just pay the difference in fare, if there is any.