Superman24

What Site(s) Do You Use For Tracking Flights?

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:59 am

Hello everyone,

Just out of curiosity, I always notice that sometimes someone will spot an A/C and post it and will ask like where its from, or what type of A/C and i find someone always has an answer. Therefore I was wondering do you guys have specific websites to go and look at all flights that land and take off? And can you check by specific times? I am asking because I noticed a few days ago, an aircraft landing (BTW I line in Montreal) and I could have sworn it was Taca but I am almost positive they don't fly here. But by the time I got home and then put the kids to bed and then remember it was 2 days later. Therefore i would like to know which website or software do you guys use, to go back and see what landed and what time and from where.

I am anxiously awaiting everyone's answers!

josekmlb

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:02 am

Flightaware.com is what I use to track flights or get flight routes.

WROORD

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:06 am

Flightaware, flightstats and flightview is what I check

Viscount724

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting superman24 (Thread starter):
I noticed a few days ago, an aircraft landing (BTW I line in Montreal) and I could have sworn it was Taca but I am almost positive they don't fly here.

Yes TACA A320s serve YUL. They operate Cubana flights HAV-YUL on a wet-lease basis. They've been doing that for several years.There are quite a few TACA A320 photos at YUL in the database.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © F. Camirand
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gilbert Hechema

EMBQA

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 am

OK.. this past Sunday over KBNA at 6pm I saw a large 4 engine jet flying towards the north. I'm pretty sure it was not an A340 due to its 'fat' fuselage. A340 have always looked like a bigger DC-8 to me. Long and thin. I was almost thing it was an A380, but didn't think any would fly a route that would bring them over BNA. Any ideas..?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

runner13

RE: What Site(s) Do You Use For Tracking Flights?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:16 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):

C-17's and C-5's, and sometimes some world airways MD-11's descend through our airspace enroute to Fort Campbell

BNAOWB

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 am

I really like flightaware.com.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
OK.. this past Sunday over KBNA at 6pm I saw a large 4 engine jet flying towards the north. I'm pretty sure it was not an A340 due to its 'fat' fuselage. A340 have always looked like a bigger DC-8 to me. Long and thin. I was almost thing it was an A380, but didn't think any would fly a route that would bring them over BNA. Any ideas..?

Here are 3 quads that were over the BNA area about that time:

DLH 439 DFW-FRA A340
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...9/history/20100822/2142Z/KDFW/EDDF

DLH 441 IAH-FRA 747
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...1/history/20100822/2151Z/KIAH/EDDF

KLM 24 IAH-AMS 747
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/K...4/history/20100822/2116Z/KIAH/EHAM
(perhaps too far to the west)

I ruled out the following:

The MEX-Europe quads on Air France, British, Iberia, KLM, and Lufthansa are all much later.

The other IAH-Europe/Middle East flights were either not quads (Air France, Emirates, Qatar, Singapore) or left later (British).

The KLM DFW-AMS was a A330.

So, assuming it was not a cargo flight from ATL or to ORD, perhaps DLH 439 would be the leading contender?

Mudboy

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:13 am

I remember one time I was leaving Wal-Mart and I saw a jet coming over going west to east and leaving a quad contrail. I pulled out my bonoculars and saw it was a 747 that appeared to be Quantas?? Most of the traffic coming over GLH is going to or coming from ATL or DFW with and occasional SWA flight out of HOU-BMI or BNA, so I was confused as to why a Quantas 747-400 would be flying over MS. The only Quantas route I was aware of was LAX-JFK. So, I got home and pulled up GLH on flight aware, and sure enough, it was Quanta LAX-JFK and for some reason took a southern route and turned north as it go closer to ATL. I think flight aware is te coolest thing on the net! 

BNAOWB

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 7):
I think flight aware is te coolest thing on the net!

I absolutely agree! It has become so much better recently by showing the estimated positions of flights outside of North America. It is neat to "Browse by Operator" and see how an airlines' flights are distributed throughout the world. For example, TAP Air Portugal is normally concentrated in a southwest-northeast line stretching from Brazil to Western Europe. Lufthansa has an extremely impressive distribution throughout the world. It is interesting to see the lone flight of an airline that is incredibly far from the other flights of that airline (AA's DEL-ORD or DL's ATL-JNB). I like to try to find the flights worldwide that are closest to the North Pole or South Pole. I enjoy tracking the Europe-MEX flights which often pass over my house east of Atlanta.

laddb

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Flightaware is great, but if you are close to one of the airports on this list http://www.passur.com/airportmonitor-locations.htm then you can use it to go back in history a bit and watch movements.

As a kid I would have my dad pick up as many timetables as possible from the airport, or I'd write the airline to request timetables. I'd try to use them to determine what flights were overhead. Now I sit out in the hottub with my laptop and use flightaware to tell me what I'm seeing.