yodobashi
Topic Author

Cabin Baggage - Can You Or Can't You?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 am

Hello folks,

I've done a couple of searches on this and couldn't find anything relevant in these forums.

A few months back, I travelled between GLA and BHX carrying a pro-grade Manfroto camera tripod. On the way out, I had absolutely no trouble carrying this item on board with me. On the return however, I checked in with the same airline, yet this time I was told I'd need to check the item in. Somewhat concerned over what state my unprotected tripod might reach GLA in, I queried why the inconsistency on the same airline. Eventually, after the input of a supervisor, I was allowed to carry the item onboard.

A few weeks later, I witnessed a gentleman have his golfing umbrella confiscated at security in GLA. I queried this with one of the staff who told me that large umbrellas are not allowed on board. Apparently they'd confiscated dozens after the golf at Turnberry in mid-2009. Yet, according to this LINK, umbrellas are not defined as resticted by size.

My question is, is it just hit and miss as to what you can and can't take on board. What about in the USA? I'm travelling later this week to the US and I'm not sure whther to pack my 'gorillapod' (see below) in my hold baggage or whether I can carry this onboard?

Would such an item cause alarm if veiwed on an X-ray for hold baggage?

Any help or guidance on this issue, or discussion on the wider topic, would be both helpful and interesting.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited 2010-08-29 02:18:04]
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"

Mir

RE: Cabin Baggage - Can You Or Can't You?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:24 am

Quoting yodobashi (Thread starter):
Would such an item cause alarm if veiwed on an X-ray for hold baggage?

Doubtful. One never knows for sure with the TSA, but I'd feel comfortable carrying it on, or checking it if that's what you prefer.

Of course, one of them may have just finished reading "War of the Worlds", and draw incorrect conclusions....

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NZ107

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 am

I guess I do live in a different part of the world but I've travelled many places around NZ and Australia with my Gorillapod in my bag. However it's the one down from the one you've displayed above and isn't metal. I guess it then would be at the discretion of the people looking at the x-ray.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

yodobashi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Of course, one of them may have just finished reading "War of the Worlds", and draw incorrect conclusions....

LMAO, it's certainly not the most aesthetically pleasing thing but it does the trick!

I'm amazed as I just checked the TSA website and it makes no mention of tripods, but it does say you can carry scissors with blades less than 4" long and screwdrivers less than 7" long yet in the UK these would be strict no no's!

There certainly seems to be huge disparity between countries, airlines, even airports between what is and isn't allowed ....
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"