Aviacsa737
Topic Author

Americas Best And Worst Airports Ranked

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Interesting to read. I tend to agree with the New York airports rankings, but then again not much from that city tends to be friendly    . And i personally didnt like HOU, but perhaps thats because i have often got there on a delayed flight and had to hurry all the way across the airport to make a connection. Persoanally i prefer DFW.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35116807
Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity--Karl Marx

Longhornmaniac

RE: Americas Best And Worst Airports Ranked

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:47 pm

IAH at #1 is a joke.

It's a good airport, but DFW is far superior as a connecting airport.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

drerx7

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
IAH at #1 is a joke.

It's a good airport, but DFW is far superior as a connecting airport.

LOL, the other airports need to step their game up apparently. IAH/HOU or Houston never get any respect - its little surveys and things like this that make me smile.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

antoniemey

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Interesting to see Nashville rated #7 overall and highly rated for shopping and food...

Just a few short years ago there was hardly anything worth eating in the airport and only the most basic of travel supplies and tourist goodies in the gift shops.

I wonder if CLE will jump up the list once they get finished adding more shopping options, since it was ranked so low in that category.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Not surprised to see MCO at number 2. Very well laid out airport.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Someone needs to explain to me how IAH got on this list as one of the best airports in the country. I just don't see it at all.

Alias1024

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:17 pm

WTF is Santa Fe doing in the rankings?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

spacecadet

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Well I don't think it's coincidence that with the exception of Houston (which some people seem to be questioning anyway), the "worst" airports are all from big cities while the "best" airports are all from small/mid size cities.

Big city airports are always going to be more crowded, probably have more delays, and often have surlier-seeming staff just because they have to deal with so many people every day. Smaller airports are less likely to have delays, are less crowded and have staff that isn't quite so burnt out.

I'm sure if you did this survey in any country, the results would be similar.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

DTWLAX

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:40 pm

and where in the world is DTW??
how can anybody miss out on DTW??

COflyerBOS

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 pm

I never use HOU, but I love IAH, especially Terminal E. There's free wi-fi. There's excellent food with a local twist. It's always fairly clean by airport standards. The President's Clubs are first class. And my flights, mostly to and from Boston, are almost always on time. Additionally, renting a car is a breeze with the central facility and most of the people at the airport have that Texan surface friendliness which does wonders with customer service. The Terminal C upgrades are pretty nice too (new walkways, restaurants, seating lounges, skylights, mood lighting, shops, etc...)

Going further, I've used IAH to transfer to Central and South America a lot, and the customs facility is super nice and super convenient compared to MIA, DFW, EWR, JFK, LAX or SFO (all places I've transfered for int'l flights), especially the baggage policy for CO operated flights.

scutfarcus

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Nothing drives me crazier than these ranking websites where you have to click 25 times to see all 25 items. Sorry, tangent.

Why doe MKE never show up on these lists? With all the growth there lately I'd think it would register. Really though, these rankings are nothing but gimmicks to bring in web traffic and those 25 clicks  

wn676

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Did anyone notice (what looks like) the HP 747 in the photo for HNL?
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

FWAERJ

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 8):

I'm also surprised that IND isn't on the list, either. Normally, it ranks pretty high in such surveys, and has since the new terminal opened.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

contrails15

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 pm

What a shocker JFK is one of the worst airport in America. Nice to see we're keeping up the tradition. Us New Yorkers do love our traditions. All I say to that is try working at JFK. Sucks even more then flying out or into it.
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OB1504

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 pm

What a refreshing change to see MIA ranked among America's best airports!

Tigerguy

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Well, I see there was a reason for my low opinion of STL. Granted, my one and only experience with that airport was six years ago, and the fact that the plane was delayed wasn't their fault, and it was 9:00 at night, but I do recall wondering why I was stuck in a cave and the only open food outlet was a Starbucks, which only had regular coffee and iced coffee. (Coffee with ice cubes in it? Ay carumba...)
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

RedTailDTW

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:44 pm

This survey is a bunch of crap!

Where is DTW? And why did DFW rank that low?

DTW is sooooooooo much better than most of those airports listed. It should at least be in the top 5!

And IAH has the best airport? pshh...DFW is a much better airport IMHO.

Mason (RedTailDTW)

PS- Also nice to see that PHX even made the ranking at all, seems that our airport doesn't really get noticed as much...
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

elbandgeek

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:50 pm

I really don't like the fact that multiple airport cities are lumped together. The experience you get between MDW and ORD is night and day. Same with LAX versus SNA etc.

B4REAL

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:05 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 11):
Did anyone notice (what looks like) the HP 747 in the photo for HNL?

Yeah, and I think the DL birds in the back are the L-1011 Tristars. Good to know that the report is very current.

As others has critiqued, the report doesn't do a good job in some areas. IAH is by no means a #1. LAX can be great. DTW is absent. So many times an airport experience really depends on the airline you fly.

Maybe I'll do my own report! LOL!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

LambertMan

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:16 am

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 15):
Well, I see there was a reason for my low opinion of STL. Granted, my one and only experience with that airport was six years ago, and the fact that the plane was delayed wasn't their fault, and it was 9:00 at night, but I do recall wondering why I was stuck in a cave and the only open food outlet was a Starbucks, which only had regular coffee and iced coffee. (Coffee with ice cubes in it? Ay carumba...)

The food options have never been great at Lambert. The concourses weren't designed to contain many amenities and the ones that are there resulted in gate casualties. It is one hell of a dreary airport though, as much as I may love my hometown.

But it's only up from here! Right?   

BestWestern

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:17 am

Obviously the authors never arrived at MCO off an international flight!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

JBAirwaysFan

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:54 am

Quoting Aviacsa737 (Thread starter):
Interesting to read. I tend to agree with the New York airports rankings, but then again not much from that city tends to be friendly    .

That's because tourists tick us off. Us NYers have a certain way we do things that no one else gets. That New York State of Mind is more than what the song describes. We move quick, we act impulsively, and we don't tolerate idiots. We're nice, but don't cross us. The airports are congested, absolutely! The big 3 are loaded with flights.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

apodino

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:58 am

I am a little confused by this report. Washington DC was No 4 worst but it seems to encompass both DCA and IAD, which I think is unfair. DCA would be on my top 5 best airport list any day of the week for many reasons. IAD is a disgrace though.

PVD ranking as Number 5 best is the shocker on this report. Don't get me wrong I love the airport and I often use it instead of BOS when I am travelling to visit my parents, but putting it ahead of bigger airports (think DFW and DTW) surprises me a bit. Then again, that just shows you the state of our airports in this country.

ckfred

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:59 am

What bugs me about MCO is the lack of elite security lines. Don't they think that elites travel to Orlando for conventions, or take the kids to DisneyWorld?

Now, here's my question about staff efficiency. What is it? An airport has 3 different sets of employee, airline, TSA, and airport. At ORD, AA staff are generally pretty good, but people who work for the City of Chicago are obviously protected by political patrons.

Now, i've connected at DFW, and the tram is easy to use. Connecting at DFW via tram is easier than walking from L to G at ORD.

I still know people in the Denver area who hate Denver International, with the long drive. They think the terminal looks silly with the white pointy roof. They still miss Stapleton Field.

The problem with LAS is that all of the rental car lots used to be just west of the terminals. Now most of them are south of the field, which makes for a long drive to and from the Strip hotels.

While the shopping at PHX is good, the food is lousy. If you are flying B6 or AA, there are very few choices past security, an overpriced deli or BBQ, which is rather messy on a plane.

At MIA, the problem on Concourse D is no national chain of fast food. Yes, having lots of local restaurants is great. But if you have a kid in tow, you want some place that has a kid's meal with burger/chicken nuggets, fries, and a toy. At least ORD, DFW, and ATL understand this.

EricR

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):
While the shopping at PHX is good, the food is lousy. If you are flying B6 or AA, there are very few choices past security, an overpriced deli or BBQ, which is rather messy on a plane.

The SOUTH concourse of T3 is probably the most limited in terms of services than any other concourse in PHX. In fact, it handles the least of amount of traffic.

The majority of traffic in and out of PHX is T4. The photo in the article is from T4. I would assume the article based most, if not all, of its opinion based on T4.

As I side note, I find the best airports to be the smaller sized airports. They are usually the easiest to get in and out of, have the smallest security lines, and have the least delays.

I find CHS, TYS, BUR to be some of the better airports. Glad to see CHS make the list.

One of the worst smaller sized airports I've been through is PWM. The only food establishment past security is Starbuck's. I think there may be a small deli. I do not recall any bookstore or other type of retail outlet.

goblin211

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:12 am

Not to sound obsessed with my home airport, TPA but it didn't even make it on this list! It's not too big, and very efficient, and i haven't met one unfriendly person there EVER. Although, I still stand by my opinion in it being outdated in reference to my post "TPA and Their Outdated Monorail"
From the airport with love

darthluke12694

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:51 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 3):
Interesting to see Nashville rated #7 overall and highly rated for shopping and food...

I am glad to see BNA is starting to move up in the rankings. Over the past few years, BNA has been doing some heavy remodeling. It is in the process of replacing all air conditioning/heating, remodeling restrooms, renovation of the airline gate hold rooms, replacement of carpeting and tile, along with more then 30 new restaruants/shops. It is set to be complete sometime in 2011. A link to the remodeling: http://www.flynashville.com/renovation/default.aspx
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

WarRI1

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:09 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 22):
PVD ranking as Number 5 best is the shocker on this report. Don't get me wrong I love the airport and I often use it instead of BOS when I am travelling to visit my parents, but putting it ahead of bigger airports (think DFW and DTW) surprises me a bit. Then again, that just shows you the state of our airports in this country.

I am more than shocked myself, PVD ranked #5 and also # 6 for food, Eureka! We are famous for something.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

exFATboy

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 am

You have to take this study with a grain of salt - it's only readers of Travel + Leisure magazine, and respondents are likely self-selected, so it's not exactly a properly-conducted random survey of travelers.

First off, you can't lump all three New York airports together - for example, in food LaGuardia is far worse than Newark or JFK, and in turn Newark and JFK vary wildly.

Just to use food as an example, Terminal "C" at EWR has many post-security options, including an outpost of Gallagher's Steakhouse, while post-security in "A" or "B" can be pretty barren. At JFK, Terminal 5 has several upscale options as well as a food court, while some other terminals are pretty bad.

OTOH, Orlando has great shopping pre-security, but the security lines themselves can be a nightmare, and some of the terminals are pretty basic post-security.

Some of the results (Providence?) also have the smell of ballot-box stuffing about them...I don't mean to denigrate Providence (actually, from all I've heard and read it's a very nice place and a good airport), but how many T+L readers have actually been there to form an opinion?

Again, a survey of this type is very susceptible to bias and ballot-stuffing - I'm much more interested in properly conducted surveys like the JD Power & Assoc. survey.

WarRI1

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:19 am

Quoting exFATboy (Reply 28):
Some of the results (Providence?) also have the smell of ballot-box stuffing about them

Now that is something we are really famous for.  

RL757PVD

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 27):
I am more than shocked myself, PVD ranked #5 and also # 6 for food, Eureka! We are famous for something.

Well ever since the expansion, the food options have greatly improved, these days I think the only thing people can really have a legitimate gripe about is not having nonstop flights out west and maybe a little more competition to Florida (like FL/B6)
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

WarRI1

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:28 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 30):
Well ever since the expansion, the food options have greatly improved

I agree.

I think the only thing people can really have a legitimate gripe about is not having nonstop flights out west and maybe

Hmmmm, you can still get there from here now. I have done it many times, no problem for me.

Boiler905

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 am

I agree with about 25% of these rankings... Tough to make everybody happy though, I guess.

I'm kind of surprised IND's new airport didn't at least make it in to the top 30.
Boiler Up

Aviacsa737
Topic Author

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:44 am

I agree with those who were surprised with DFW's rankings. I much prefered DFW to IAH, but i guess many travelers dont. I think DFW is easier to make a tight connection than with IAH. But who knows maybe its just my impression.

[Edited 2010-08-28 20:51:04]
Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity--Karl Marx

timf

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:54 am

I too was surprised that DTW was not listed, but it became apparent to me that because this survey was in Travel & Leisure, they were only considering airports in leisure destinations and not necessarily the largest airports. Of course, there are a few airports on the list that I would question their status as a leisure destination, but I'm not surprised DTW isn't included.

Mir

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:03 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 20):
Obviously the authors never arrived at MCO off an international flight!

Obviously they've never arrived with checked luggage. I'm not normally one to get irritated about my bags not being on the carousel when I get there, but forty minutes is a ridiculously long time to wait (and that's forty minutes after I got to baggage claim, not after I got off the plane). I was willing to chalk it up to bad luck the first time. Not so much the second and third.

MCO's not awful, but to call it one of the top airports in the country shows just how flawed this survey is.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PWMRamper

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 24):
One of the worst smaller sized airports I've been through is PWM. The only food establishment past security is Starbuck's. I think there may be a small deli. I do not recall any bookstore or other type of retail outlet.

Post security at PWM has a CNBC News Store, Shipyard Bar and Restaurant, Starbucks, and Bagel/Deli place. Not much, yes, but there's more than just the Starbucks.

Once the new terminal's done we'll have a full food court.

BMI727

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:22 am

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 15):

It works well for O&D but it would be pretty poor for connecting passengers. Not much to do, not much to see, few lounges, few restaurants. It wouldn't make for a fun connection.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

apodino

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:35 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 27):

For an airport with only 22 gates, there are better and more food options in PVD than a lot of airports (Think ORD in any terminal except 3, SFO, and especially LAX where the best food option is a 20 minute walk to in n out), especially with the addition of the food court right beyond TSA. Both ends of the terminal now have a Dunkin Donuts (A necessity in that area, and in fact the DD line is often longer than the TSA line as well.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):

The problem with LAS is that all of the rental car lots used to be just west of the terminals. Now most of them are south of the field, which makes for a long drive to and from the Strip hotels.

The 1-19 runways are just west of the LAS terminals. The rental cars used to be North (Save for Alamo), until they consolidated south of 215. Unless you are actually going to the strip itself (Not sure why you would rent a car if you are), this is actually a better location for it, as it provides easier access to I-15, as well as US 93-95, and you are not dealing with Strip related traffic.

Well ever since the expansion, the food options (at PVD) have greatly improved, these days I think the only thing people can really have a legitimate gripe about is not having nonstop flights out west and maybe a little more competition to Florida (like FL/B6)

WN still has nonstops to both PHX and LAS out of PVD. Aside from the coast, how much more west do you want?

FlyNWA727

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 am

I honestly have to say that I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how Baltimore/Washington International isn't on this list. Reason being, every time I go to their website and view their press releases, they're always bragging about some major award they just received for being "the best mid-sized airport in the country for this, that, and the other". In fact, posted on their website right now is a press release from February 2010, stating that BWI ranked 1st in the world among airports serving 15-25 million passengers per year, according to the 2009 Airports Council International (ACI), Airport Service Quality (ASQ) survey. And BWI has that awesome observation gallery with the real Boeing 737 cockpit, fuselage, tail; and they even have a real Boeing 707 boogie. And the atrium in the international pier is beautiful. Plus, I believe BWI was the first airport in America to have a "Smart Parking" system. And they have a massive amount of great restaurants to eat. I know a lot of Marylanders who weren't even traveling, but would frequent BWI just for the shops and food! And how could I forget the fact that BWI has an impressive transportation connection system. An Amtrak and MARC commuter rail station nearby plus a modern light-rail system that literally goes right into the international pier. What morons were queried for this survey???  
First flight aboard a Northwest B727-251ADV out of BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport, my hometown airport.

BMI727

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting PWMRamper (Reply 36):
Post security at PWM has a CNBC News Store, Shipyard Bar and Restaurant, Starbucks, and Bagel/Deli place. Not much, yes, but there's more than just the Starbucks

I was going to say I thought I remembered there being more there than just a Starbuck's. PWM is actually a pretty exemplary airport for its size.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

VC10er

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 am

Dear Aviacsa737,
I am born and raised in the great city of New York. I consider myself, my family, the people of my community and all my friends "friendly". We are America' largest and most congested cities in the country, and would rank high in a global study I'm sure! We can be very stressed so we don't spend much time being overly sweet to strangers. That does not add up to "unfriendly". As a matter of fact I think NYC is filled with places and spaces to offset our, agreed, bad airports.
I don't know where you are from but I bet the folks from your part of the country or the world probably has it's cliche generalizations. I would never bring it up anywhere, let alone A.net. Why don't you come to NYC one day and I will take you all over NY for some of the best sights and history in the USA, as well as introduce you to the most real and friendly people you've ever met. Some are even at United at La Guardia!
I just wanted you to know the comment hurt and I think you owe 9 million fellow Americans an appology.

And as for the topic of the thread, it's right, NYC has some of the worst airports ever. I think "the Capital of the World" should have a gateway airport that people would remember forever. I think we are all a bit broke to do that. T4 at JFK is pretty cool!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

TSS

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:18 am

Quoting Aviacsa737 (Reply 33):
I think DFW is easier to make a tight connection than with IAH. But who knows maybe its just my impression.

Agreed. The SkyLink train is a God-send because it makes it so easy to zip from one terminal to another.

As for anything else about IAH, I have no idea; My connections there have all been so tight (45 minutes to get from one end of "E" to the opposite end of "C", or vice-versa) that everything except the waiting areas at the gates is just a blur to me. I might have seen a Burger King there somewhere, but I can't swear to that.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

chopchop767

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:24 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 40):

I was going to say I thought I remembered there being more there than just a Starbuck's. PWM is actually a pretty exemplary airport for its size.

And that's the issue right there!!! I think the survey would be better if it were divided up by the airport's size/operations size. It's not really fair to put DFW and PWM, for example, in the same ball park. But you're PWM is a very convenient and comfortable airport.

Furthermore, I agree that coupling some airports together under the city they serve is absurd. So for the Washington Metro area, should DCA, IAD and BWI all be included in "Washington DC"? As previously mentioned, IAD is less than stellar in terms of terminal services, and it always looks like it's under construction. DCA on the other hand, is an amazing airport, with great restuarants, shops, architecture etc. Secondly, the coupling of the airports seems to be arbitrary. MIA can also be said to be served by PBI and FLL, but they are not included. Not that either of those airports are great either.

Not a great survey  
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

Aviacsa737
Topic Author

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 41):
I don't know where you are from but I bet the folks from your part of the country or the world probably has it's cliche generalizations.

True. Im from the west coast, so in suppose that means i surf all day and smoke pot 24/7. Which i DONT. 
Quoting VC10er (Reply 41):
I just wanted you to know the comment hurt

Nothing personal, it just based on my limited experiences at JFK, and from one to many negative press stories about NYC and its famous(infamous?) attitude. No intention was ment to ofrend any one, hence the duck icon.

Quoting TSS (Reply 42):
My connections there have all been so tight (45 minutes to get from one end of "E" to the opposite end of "C", or vice-versa) that everything except the waiting areas at the gates is just a blur to me.

You know its funny you say that, most of my connections at IAH have been about 45 min as well too. I guess CO likes to cut things close. Most of IAH was a blur too, but what i do know was, that as you say runing from one end to another was not easy at IAH. at DFW i believe i have had connections as tight and got to my gate with aboyt 20-30 min to spare. I think DFW gets too much of a bad rap. Though the stores could sell more than just hot sauce. 

[Edited 2010-08-28 22:34:24]

SurfandSnow

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:40 am

I tend to agree with the New York airports rankings

I tend to vehemently disagree with lumping the New York airports together. LGA is a dismal domestic facility, while JFK is a fabulous, world class international gateway (unless you are flying DL, but that will change soon enough!). EWR comes in somewhere in between, but falls closer to JFK thanks to the airy check-in areas, pleasant pre-security mall (at least in B), etc.

The only issue with New York airports are the transfers between terminals and, in some cases, between airports. But, like the LA airports, they were designed to serve O&D rather than connections. While it can take eons to get out of DEN or ATL, its never more than a nice short walk to leave LGA, JFK, or EWR.

If you find yourself flying through NYC, just make it easy on yourself by laying over for a night or two in the city rather than chancing a tight connection. New York is always a great, fun place to visit, and that big cushion will give you unbeatable peace of mind.

i personally didnt like HOU, but perhaps thats because i have often got there on a delayed flight and had to hurry all the way across the airport to make a connection. Persoanally i prefer DFW.

Did you mean HOU, or IAH? I much prefer DFW (short walk for O&D pax, convenient SkyTrain for connecting pax) to IAH, which has a confusing layout and requires ridiculously long walks whether connecting or O&D...

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
IAH at #1 is a joke.

It really is. The problem here is that they are combining metro airports, such that convenient friendly HOU is mixed in with world class IAH (after all it is very nice, just extremely poorly designed). I don't think IAH would top any list on its own.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 6):
WTF is Santa Fe doing in the rankings?

Exactly! How did this tiny airport get on there with all the big boys?

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 7):
Well I don't think it's coincidence that with the exception of Houston (which some people seem to be questioning anyway), the "worst" airports are all from big cities while the "best" airports are all from small/mid size cities.

One problem with major airports is that your experience can vary widely within them. Someone flying out of MIA's Concourse J will give the airport rave reviews, while the person using Concourse F certainly won't! You have the exact same problem at many others, such as JFK, ORD, LAX, LAS, FLL, and DCA, to name a few.

Don't kid yourself, some major cities do have fantastic airports (DTW, DEN, etc.), and some smaller cities have awful airports (STL, MCI, etc.).

Big city airports are always going to be more crowded, probably have more delays, and often have surlier-seeming staff just because they have to deal with so many people every day. Smaller airports are less likely to have delays, are less crowded and have staff that isn't quite so burnt out.

I don't know if LGB or HPN are "big city airports" or not (suburban yes, big city - no?) but one reason they are so bad is that they are extremely crowded - virtually any major airport will have more available seating than those two do. And should you find yourself at EGE on a Saturday around Christmastime you will quickly learn that small markets airports aren't very good at handling huge spikes in traffic like big airports are.

In general, though, you will trade things like free or inexpensive parking at small airports for convenient public transit access at big airports, dingy fast food joints and tcochtke shops at smaller airports for nice restaurants, shops, bars, and lounges at big airports, etc. It's always a trade off between small town convenience/friendliness and big city amenities...

I'm sure if you did this survey in any country, the results would be similar.

In Canada, the major airports at YVR and YYZ are top notch, while smaller airports like YYC aren't very nice at all. In Mexico, MEX, CUN, and MTY are nice, while smaller airports like TIJ are awful. East Asian nations (think South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand) heavily invest in their major international airports, while their regional airports are nothing to write home about. The U.S. is one of the few places (along with the E.U.) where the major airports are generally a disgrace compared to the smaller airports.

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 8):

How can they forget the country's nicest major airport?!?

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 10):
Why doe MKE never show up on these lists?

Good question. MKE used to be a small regional airport, but now its a major transnational hub. It's also quite nice, especially if you get to fly FL out of C.

Quoting ElBandGeek (Reply 17):
I really don't like the fact that multiple airport cities are lumped together. The experience you get between MDW and ORD is night and day. Same with LAX versus SNA etc.

This is my primary issue with this whole survey.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

COflyerBOS

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 42):

There's no Burger King at IAH in Terminal C or E. As for national chains there are two Wendy's, 4 Starbucks, Peet's Coffee and Tea, Chili's Too, Popeye's Chicken, Subway, Einstein Brothers Bagels, Ruby's Diner, Jamba Juice, Nestle Toll House Cafe, Auntie Anne's Pretzels, Panda Express, and a Fox Sports Grill Sky Box.

Additionally, the Pappas Group runs a large Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (Gulf Coast/Creole cooking), a Pappas Brothers BBQ, and a Pappasito's Cantina which are all Houston institutions. Other smaller of more local food options include Bubba's Bayou Grill, El Pinto (Tex-Mex), zPizza, Panapolis, La Salsa, The Real Food Company, Rocky Mountain Chocolate, Upper Crust Pizza, Famous Famiglia Pizza, Le Petit Bistro, The Little Creamery (local Blue Bell ice cream), Gloria Jean's Coffee, Charley's Subs, and the new Le Grand Comptoir for wine and freshly baked bread, cheese, sandwiches, etc... (the original Le Grand is in Montreal).

TSS

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 am

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 46):
There's no Burger King at IAH in Terminal C or E. As for national chains there are two Wendy's...

It must have been a Wendy's then. All I can recall is a generally earth-toned blur off to my left accompanied by the smell of burgers and fries.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

stasisLAX

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:14 am

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 16):
Also nice to see that PHX even made the ranking at all, seems that our airport doesn't really get noticed as much...

I agree - Sky Harbor has come a long way. Once the SkyTrain is completed in a couple of years, it will make airport access (the weakest link at Sky Harbor in my opinion is pick-up and drop-off) ALOT better!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

FlyingSicilian

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am

Quoting Aviacsa737 (Reply 33):
I agree with those who were surprised with DFW's rankings. I much prefered DFW to IAH, but i guess many travelers dont. I think DFW is easier to make a tight connection than with IAH. But who knows maybe its just my impression.

I completely disagree, DFW is a horrid connecting airport. It is great if you want to drive up and park near your gate as a local pax, but horrid for connecting. I find IAH much easier, especially mainline to mainline, and IAH's FIS is one of the best, not that I care now as I have Global Entry and bypass any lines anyway.

Hobby is brand new and refurbed with one main terminal, it is nice also.

PVD has actually been quite easy for me to use also I'd agree with its ranking.

I'd rank LAX worse than JFK, but it depends on the airline too.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"