a340crew
Topic Author

Help! Transiting LHR From T3 (AA) To T5 (BA)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:40 am

Tomorrow I will be traveling BOS-LHR on AA and LHR-MIL on BA. At LHR how do I transit from T3 to T5? Do I need to exit passport control and reclear security or are the terminals connected for connections not requiring you to clear customs. I have a 2 hour connection (exactly 2hrs) so I hope it is easy. Anyone can help? I am assuming AA will tag my bags for the connection since BA is a one world member.

Thanks

signol

RE: Help! Transiting LHR From T3 (AA) To T5 (BA)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Once you land follow "flight connections". There will be an airside shuttle bus to the next terminal, so you do not pass immigration. There will be another security check.

Hope this helps! I've never transferred at LHR so not sure of time issues, but should be ok if you were sold it one ticket.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

sw733

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm

signol is correct - it's very easy, just use the buses and you don't have to exit immigration (though you will have to do security again after you get off the bus and into your new terminal). The actual bus ride is longer than you'd think (at least 10 minutes or so), but you have some neat views, up close and personal, with the aircraft along the way.

Quoting signol (Reply 1):
I've never transferred at LHR so not sure of time issues, but should be ok if you were sold it one ticket.

2 hours should be plenty of time, just don't slack off anywhere. Last time I did it (June), I think from the exit door of the BA a/c to the gate of the AA a/c, it took about 50-60 minutes.

lhr380

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
The actual bus ride is longer than you'd think (at least 10 minutes or so), but you have some neat views, up close and personal, with the aircraft along the way.

The bus ride T5-T3 is MUCH better as you go right past the whole length of T5B and all the aircraft parked up there. And pray for red lights and a 9R departure as you face the runway at the traffic lights and get some fantastic views there as well.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)