dl767captain
Topic Author

Question For Pilots: Best Sunglasses For Flying

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm not really sure what thread this belongs in so please move it to the right one if you know. I just started flying and I'm trying to figure out what the best option for sunglasses are. I've got a pair of Oakleys but I'm just wondering if there is a specific type of glasses that are recommended for pilots.

Mir

RE: Question For Pilots: Best Sunglasses For Flyin

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

When I'm looking for sunglasses, I look for a couple of things:

1) Are the arms thin enough that my headset won't press them into the sides of my head and give me a headache after half an hour?

2) Are the lenses dark enough?

3) Are the lenses big enough to offer protection for peripheral vision?

4) Do the lenses interfere with looking at glass panels (some polarized lenses do, which is why I avoid them)

5) Are the things going to put a huge hole in my wallet?

I'll pick up whatever fits those criteria, normally at my local pharmacy for around $20-30. I could go even cheaper if I wanted to, but the really-low-end stuff feels like crap. If you've got Oakleys already, you should be fine - I wouldn't mess with what works.

I'm kind of breaking rules 3 and 5 at the moment, though, since I'm using a set of clip-on sunglasses that are fitted for the glasses I wear, and thus cost a fair bit more. But it's worth it to not have to deal with contacts.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cpd

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am

I'm also after some suggestions - my quite old pair of Serengeti glasses (GG6692 Titanium) have a slight mark on one of the lenses and also are a bit heavy/uncomfortable after a while (first pair I had were fine).

Anyone got some suggestions for glasses that fit a similar bill to those above, but are very light/frameless? I don't wear prescription glasses anymore, so I don't need to go for clip ons.

[Edited 2010-09-06 17:11:16]

swiftski

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 am

I wear a pair of Serengeti Velocity sunglasses. Initially they were purchased just for flying however they are so good I ditched my Oakley's and wear them for driving and just normal use too.

cpd

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 am

Google search of this site is useful:
Sunglasses For Flying? (by FighterPilot May 1 2007 in Aviation Polls)

Looks like Rayban is the suggestion.

Quoting swiftski (Reply 3):
I wear a pair of Serengeti Velocity sunglasses.

That's what I've got at the moment.

ThirtyEcho

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:24 am

Polarized lenses can cancel the sun glint off of another airplane and that is why I have never used them. You most certainly want to see that sun flash from another airplane in your vicinity.

flyinTLow

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 am

If you are looking into something more expensive and top-notch, I would recommend Rodenstock Sun-Contrast lenses. I fly with them all the time. Really nice lenses. They have a "blue-wavelength-filter" in them, and don't ask me how exactly that works (you still see blue perfectly), it gives you an amazing, sharp and very contrasty (is that a word? :P) vision. I even wear them during CAT III approaches, as they really enhance the picture you get.

http://www.rodenstock.com/rod_web/uk...=documents/0000/00/00/40/16515.xml

My absolute and unrestricted recommendation!
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

unattendedbag

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:16 am

Quoting dl767captain (Thread starter):
but I'm just wondering if there is a specific type of glasses that are recommended for pilots.

These offer complete protection!

http://www.blublocker.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2355K

Slower traffic, keep right

CHRISBA777ER

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Oakley Juliets - the best from a technical point of view I would say. I keep seeing pilots with them on!

Personally if i was an airline pilot, it would be all about the classic RayBan Aviators though - even though i own two pairs of Juliets, one set of A wires and a pair of Gascans.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

sccutler

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 am

I was always a classic Ray Ban guy, but my wife gave me a pair of Scheydens, and the optical quality they provide is a remarkable improvement - clouds are much better-defined on hazy days, and traffic, easier to spot. Highly recommended!

http://www.airplanegear.com/scheyden.htm

Lenses I have are the bronze, could not be more pleased. Good thing I got them as a gift, as I would never have gotten something so nice for myself.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

cobra27

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 am

I would suggest rayban aviatiors with G15 lenses, paid 120 Euros for them 3 years ago. The lenses are made to meet US airforce requirements, with their filters and so on. They are also very light to wear.
I owned another pair of raybans with brownish polarised lenses, they were a lot heavier to wear, they did have a polarized lens, which is gut. but I would still preffer aviatiors with G15 lenses

Jetlagged

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 7):
These offer complete protection!

http://www.blublocker.com/prodinfo.a...2355K

Not cool enough looking for flying though. How about this patriotic heavy duty eye protection? http://toolmonger.com/2007/07/03/dea...-and-stripes-welding-mask-for-220/

The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.