Charlienoble

I Pulled A Fast One On United CRJ!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 am

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

I recently took a 2.5-hour flight on a United CRJ - I'm an average size so I don't normally mind the regional jets.

Unfortunately when I got to my seat (right behind the exit row), I found that my seatmate was a large fellow who had taken the initiative to raise the middle armrest...not sure he could have lowered it anyway. In the interest of decorum I consigned myself to a couple of hours of self-imposed scoliosis by leaning my torso into the aisle as much as practicable.

When it came time for the 'exit row safety brief', the nice young lady said something to the effect that each person in that row had to answer a verbal "Yes" to each of her questions...simple enough, right?

Well, the first question was "Are you aware that you are in an exit row?"...three "Yes" answers except for the gentleman in front of me. She asked again with no response from him...apparently he didn't speak the vernacular or didn't feel like playing along, so I got up and said "You're moving back a row, chum" and he did as he was told.

I'm generally not the assertive type, but after a long month away from home doing the King's business I figured what the hell did I have to lose?

Those exit rows are relatively fantastic...I highly recommend it. Just be ready to say "Yes"...
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

Goldenshield

RE: I Pulled A Fast One On United CRJ!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:30 pm

It's pretty obvious he could understand English, then. I wonder what would cause someone to be that insensitive as to completely ignore the flight attendant. The flight attendants do mention that they WILL reseat you if you cannot or choose not to accept the resonsibilities. While---if I can take what you did/said verbatim---I think you stepped on the F/A's toes a bit, considering the behavior in question; however, I think she was probably more than happy to let you handle it before she had to esculate it.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Charlienoble

RE: I Pulled A Fast One On United CRJ!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 1):
It's pretty obvious he could understand English, then. I wonder what would cause someone to be that insensitive as to completely ignore the flight attendant. The flight attendants do mention that they WILL reseat you if you cannot or choose not to accept the resonsibilities. While---if I can take what you did/said verbatim---I think you stepped on the F/A's toes a bit, considering the behavior in question; however, I think she was probably more than happy to let you handle it before she had to esculate it.

I believe he had 'very limited' English-speaking ability and just preferred to avoid dealing with her at all. It didn't happen quite as quickly as my post suggests...there was an awkward moment where I could see the wheels turning in the FA's head about how/where to move the guy.

Never thought about it, but I guess I did usurp her authority...but my back was already screaming from trying to use 2/3 of an airline seat   So I jumped at the chance to switch. I'm glad I didn't get 'Tased'!
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson