henpol747
Topic Author

Ever Seen An UFO From The Cockpit?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi there,

I know this topic may seem a little weird, but I would really like to ask all of you pilots out there if in any of your long hours flying you have witnessed any kind of "aircraft of airship" that you weren´t able to identify

I understand it is a topic that not many people like to talk about, but your comments will be really appreciated . . .

Cheers,
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

Type-Rated

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:07 pm

A lot of pilots who have seen such things but never report it as they don't want to be thought of as nutty.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

santi319

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 pm

About 3 months ago II saw what appeared like a regional jet flying above the wing of an A320 flying REAL fast, going from SJU to FLL in the middle of the flight at around 2100pm. I told the pilots and they said there was nobody flying at that time .... I must be crazy but I clearly saw it! The lighting of the aircraft was different though... Oh well.

2H4

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 pm

I once saw a grotesque, deformed clown's head floating through the air at 10,000 feet.

Concerned for my mental well-being and hoping for a simple case of hypoxia, I turned around to investigate.

Turned out to be a child's helium balloon expanding due to the pressure differential at that altitude.
Intentionally Left Blank

aviateur

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:44 am

From one of my old columns. I'm not permitted to link to it directly, but here's the germane part:

Q: I have heard that pilots often see strange things in the sky, i.e. UFOs, but through tacit agreement will not openly discuss these sightings out of fear of embarrassment possible career suicide. True or false?

I have to laugh at the notion of there being a tacit agreement among pilots over anything, let alone UFO sightings. And although plenty of things in aviation are tantamount to "career suicide," withholding information about UFOs isn't one of them. For the record, I have never met a pilot who claims to have had a UFO sighting, and the topic is one that almost never comes up -- even during those long dark flights across the ocean.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

PGNCS

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting aviateur (Reply 4):
For the record, I have never met a pilot who claims to have had a UFO sighting, and the topic is one that almost never comes up -- even during those long dark flights across the ocean.

Well put. I have also never met a pilot who claims to have seen one, and I certainly have not.