castroprauxel
Topic Author

TXL-SFO In J: LH, LX, UA?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Planning a trip to SFO and need to make a quick decision regarding the long haul flights in J class. not sure what to choose (a mix between 2 airlines is possible, though, thanks to Star Alliance codeshares)... would love to try out the new UA seats from/to FRA, but was also hoping LX already uses their new J to/from ZRH. and I always enjoy LH as well, but their seats are not my favourite for such a long flight... would appreciate any assistance!

HT

RE: TXL-SFO In J: LH, LX, UA?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 pm

LX's soft product arguably is the best of the 3 carriers on your shortlist.
Next in order should be LH with its reliable service (though sometimes not to the highest standards).

Personally I would choose from these two, picking flights based on timings.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi HT,

I completely agree with you - but as much as I love LH's soft product (and I really do), their J beds are nothing exciting. I can never sleep in those things and always slip down... at least with UA I know I have a real fully flat bed. but then again, their service is not really impressive, so it's exactly the opposite...

HT

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Quoting castroprauxel (Reply 2):
at least with UA I know I have a real fully flat bed, but then again, their service is not really impressive, so it's exactly the opposite...

Why not choose UA then for your SFO to FRA sector ?
That way, you can make use of the flat bed and sleep through the night and a less-than-optimal service should have less impact on you. +
To my experience, food quality in Business Class on LH and LX flying out of the U.S. is notably lower than on flights to the U.S. - so having a good lunch prior to departure frpom SFO (on any carrier) might be an option ensuring that you do not get hungry during the flight - plus an earlier meal makes sleeping in the a/c easier for the body.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !