Woof
Topic Author

Early Or Late Check-in. Risk Of Downgrade?

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:36 pm

If you were travelling J class on a 3 class flight with a reserved seat (does reserved actually mean anything?), are there any benefits of checking in early (online 24 hours before, for example) and would these benefits outweigh any risks of checking in at the airport?

So if I check in early, I'm very likely to get my pre-assigned seat. If I check in late and J class is overbooked, I might get lucky with an upgrade to F, but I could also get unlucky with a downgrade to Y.

What would you do?
Deleted

traindoc

RE: Early Or Late Check-in. Risk Of Downgrade?

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Personally, I always check in as soon as I can, once the check in window is open. That way if something happens, such as cncelled flight, change of A/C, etc, I am more likely to be OK. Why would checking in later make you more likely to get upgraded to F? Isn't that usually done based upon FF and fare paid and not check in time? In fact would not the opposite be true, earlier check in increases your odds of getting up graded.

Woof
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Quoting traindoc (Reply 1):
Why would checking in later make you more likely to get upgraded to F? Isn't that usually done based upon FF and fare paid and not check in time? In fact would not the opposite be true, earlier check in increases your odds of getting up graded.

If J was overbooked and at the time of check-in all J seats were taken but F was pretty clear?
Deleted

Speedbird2155

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Quoting Woof (Reply 2):

If J was overbooked and at the time of check-in all J seats were taken but F was pretty clear?

Each airline is different, but most airlines would move their top card holders and full fare ticket holders first, regardless of check-in time if there was a situation of oversales.

Woof
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 3):
Each airline is different, but most airlines would move their top card holders and full fare ticket holders first, regardless of check-in time if there was a situation of oversales.

Lovely, thanks for the replies.
Deleted