positiveetco2
Topic Author

Best LA Area Spotting Restaurant

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm going to be spending Tuesday in LA while my wife is working on a project. That means my 2 year old son and I will have free time to to spot (he is already obsessed). I am very familiar with In/Out on Sepulveda. Am I missing any other restaurants with good viewing? Or are there any other local airports (VNY?) with restaurants close to the action. Just want to put together a fun day.

Thanks for your insight.

LAXintl

RE: Best LA Area Spotting Restaurant

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:33 pm

At LAX you have the Jetson like themed Disney designed Encounter restaurant atop the Theme Building that offers good views. Unfortunately the observation deck above is only open weekends. There is also the Proud Bird Restaurant on Aviation Blvd with landing views of traffic on 25s, however I really don't care for the food or service. You can also bring your own from some of the nearby fast food places and sit on the benches on top of the Imperial hill looking out across the airport.

For VNY, you have the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant which is runway adjacent so you can catch close up GA traffic. Down at LGB you have the observation deck and restaurant above the historic terminal with open views of the tarmac and runways.

If you and your 2-year old are OK being out in the sun for a few hours my top choice would be the Imperial Hill and if you want another airport the LGB terminal terrace.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

positiveetco2
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:00 am

Thanks so much for your help. Now I want to try all of your suggestions. : )

DesertAir

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:34 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
There is also the Proud Bird Restaurant on Aviation Blvd with landing views of traffic on 25s, however I really don't care for the food or service.

Great Views of landing planes. You can feel the vibrations as they pass overhead.