Topic Author

Domestic Flights In Sri Lanka

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi all,

Recently read an article about Sri Lanka, it got me thinking about air travel down there.
How much domestic commercial air traffic is there and between which cities? Are there flights up to the north of the country where the Tamil Tigers were in control up until last year?
What are the safety records of these airlines like?
I had a look on SriLankan Airlines and couldn't find that many domestic flights.

ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

RE: Domestic Flights In Sri Lanka

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 am

In the period around 2005-2008, there were flights from the downtown airport by Aero Lanka (BAe 748) and Expo Aviation or Mihin Lanka flew F-27s to the northern town of Jaffna. These flights were either cancelled or totally off limits for citizens/foreigners as the country was in a civil war. Now things get safer you would hope the flights will slowly be opened up. h
see: . Although don't hold your breath, I doubt it's already possible to fly on these propliners, otherwise I'd do it.
Hope this post provoces some reactions and updates from others.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

RE: Domestic Flights In Sri Lanka

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 am

As MEA-707 said, there were scheduled flights from Colombo to many cities in Sri Lanka in 2004 and 2005.

But now, purchasing directly in the airport of Colombo Ratmalana airport, you can find some airlines serving mainly cargo flights to Jaffna, Trincomalee, Koggala and other cities. This cargo flights can accommodate until 5 or 7 passengers per flight.

Try Mihin Lanka with its sole Fokker F27, Expo Aviation with a pair of Fokker F-27 and an Ilyushin IL-18 or Aero Lanka with its sole BAe HS748.

El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!