kurbitur
Topic Author

Do You Like The CO/UA Merge?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 am

Is it just me or are there anyone else who doesn´t like the Continental/United merge?
I´ll miss Continental as it is and also United and the UA livery

United is (was) so giant and massive airline and all the UA idendity
And I also find the new United livery in CO colors a bit awkward.... but maybe I´ll get used to it later on

What do you think?

style

RE: Do You Like The CO/UA Merge?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:00 am

You'd be surprised how much of an impact keeping the logo and colors can actually have. I think once all the planes are painted and the airport stations updated to reflect the 'new' United, the feel will be more Continental-esque, than old UA.

In terms of hubs and reach of this new carrier, it is in a league of its own. Not even DL can say it has hubs in essentially all the 'top' markets in the USA. Its route network truely is global

BRJ

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 am

Not particularly...I much prefer Continental over United, although it's been several years since i've flown United. I really hate that Continental left SkyTeam!

SESGDL

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:19 am

Quoting Reply 1):

In terms of hubs and reach of this new carrier, it is in a league of its own. Not even DL can say it has hubs in essentially all the 'top' markets in the USA. Its route network truely is global

DL also can't say that they face formidable competition at nearly every one of their hubs either. Being a "major player in large markets" is both a good thing and a bad thing. DL has DTW, MSP, and MEM all to themselves, for the most part.

I hate the UA/CO merger. I think both airlines had good products and the cultures together don't seem to fit. This was not a merger of necessity and it will only lead to fewer airlines and higher fares. Two thumbs way down.

Jeremy

flyguy89

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:02 am

No. But then again I don't really like airline mergers in general. Management can spin it all they want about how great it's going to be and how the two airlines are coming together to form a new one, but there's always one airline that loses out and it really grinds my gears that we will never see the likes of CO or NW ever again, companies that have been built up and been around for 70+ years.

kurbitur
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:38 pm

I don´t like mergers in general too.... you´ll miss both airlines, usually the new identity is always worse then the "good old" one...

I don´t care if Zlobowonitsky Airline merge with Air Rusky Siberia or some small airline but when some big fishes merge I always find a regret

chepos

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Don't like it at all, many people will loose thier jobs (from both sides CO and UAL), fares will go up, and who knows in the long run how well these two are going to mesh. These mega mergers are good only for the boys and gals on top, the employees just get the brunt and backlash of things.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

tommy767

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I'll be watching it closely. Every time I see the UA new colors in the CO logos, I want to puke. It's horrible and I think it's a definite branding mistake. They should have just come up with something new altogether. But the network is incredible.

If they are doing things that I'm not liking in the long run, that's fine, I'll stick with DL. It seems DL is doing many things right at the current moment anyway.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

genybustrvlr

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:37 am

I like it for the network. Great for business travel. I hope mileage plus survives! It's a great program.

777ER
Crew

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 am

Quoting kurbitur (Thread starter):
I´ll miss Continental as it is and also United and the UA livery

I'll miss seeing the blue UA livery. I would have liked to have tried CO before the CO name goes but guess I'll have to try and get on an ex CO bird during a US trip
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 am

Not happy. Continental management has been more successful and customer oriented. UA talks a lot, but delivers little. As a consequence of this merger, there will be far more top tier elite members and no additional seats per plane for upgrade. On my last trip, there were 3 seats in First remaining and 40 elites on standby for them.

Over the past 8 years, UA leveraged their poor financial health to cut pay and benefits to employees while passing along the savings to the customers. While that might sound great, the customer now pays for baggage and food as well as upgrade to legitimate coach legroom. Most regular travelers would prefer to pay a realistic fare for full service and professional crews both on the ground and in the air.

While the management positions now place the CO CEO at the top of the combined operation, he only recently took over the post at CO and all he has proven to the customers is that he can orchestrate a merger.