cambrian

Service In C: LH To Beirut

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:20 am

I am booked to fly in C on Lufthansa to Beirut. I know that they operate A321 on this route. Do they have a mid haul configuration similar to bmi, or will I be travelling on the normal European short haul configuration? If anyone has any tips about service on this flight, it would be appreciated.

BTW: I just flew Tehran- London on bmi in C and was appalled at the service in C. Really poor IFE, lousy food and just grotty service. Really disappointed that such an expensive ticket buys so little in terms of service and product. I hope that LH takes BD by the scruff of the neck and makes some tangible improvements. Then again, bmi has a near monopoly on several Middle East and Central Asia routes, so why bother? (Rant over)

HUYfan

RE: Service In C: LH To Beirut

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

bmi took the BMED routes, let inexperienced senior crew take the helm on mid haul routes, and they pissed all over BMED's reputation.

On one of my flights, it took them 3 hours to do a meal service in Business. I can only hope they have improved since then.

Regards

Mike

cambrian

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 am

Hi Mike. I know what you mean! Simply no finesse whatsoever from the crew. A wine list without vintages, and lousy food. They have the pretentions of a full service airline but cannot deliver. Just tacky throughout. When I commented to the purser on the poor food and terrible choice of IFE, he shrugged and said, "Welcome to bmi". So they obviously recognise that there is a problem on these flights. I feel totally ripped off.

I handed back my "breakfast" untouched and it was taken away without comment. If I had done that on LX, LH or most Asian carriers, I would have been asked if it was ok and probably offered something else. On bmi they don't care.

The Iranian passengers on the flight were bemused by the meal offerings and I was embarrassed at this poor introduction to the UK for them. If Iran Air had been flying on that day, I would have taken them instead, but due to sanctions their timetable has been curtailed.

chootie

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 am

...Sorry to have to give you the bad news, but all of LH A319/320/321 are not IFE equipped. They have no screens or audio. You will be sitting in a european seating(3 x 3) with the center seat blocked.

Not a real c-class product.

However, the meal service should be nice and beverage selection is really quite good.

Try to N-joy it if you can!!!!!

Have a GREAT flight!   
chootie

cambrian

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 am

Hey chootie,

Thanks for letting me know. As I feared, it will be the usual short haul configuration, but not too bad. Don't mind too much about IFE and I find that the service and especially the food on LH is normally very good indeed. The worst part is arriving at 2am, and leaving at 3am on the return flight!

djb77

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi there Cambrian,
I would expect Beirut to be operated with the A321 - if you're traveling on your own, row 8 on the right hand side is the best bet for you, if available - it is the two-seater, only one of which will be sold if it is in the C-class config. Also makes escaping off early in Beirut easier if they board and de-board at L2.
All the best
djb77

fodar

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:27 pm

KW ("Kuwait’s only premium airline") is launching a new 3x weekly service between BEY and VIE starting 31 October -- and KW and OS say these flights will be code-shared:
http://www.austrianairlines.ag/Press...E881A}&fromDate=&toDate=&category=
The code-sharing does not appear to have started yet. When it does, this service should provide an interesting option for *A frequent fliers.

OA260

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Quoting Cambrian (Thread starter):
BTW: I just flew Tehran- London on bmi in C and was appalled at the service in C. Really poor IFE, lousy food and just grotty service.

Yes the midhaul product is not worth paying for . Id do MEA Y over BD J unless I was cashing in an upgrade cert.

I have looked at LH for my BEY flights but the 3-3 puts me off. Id have chosen MEA. Egyptair would have been worth looking at.