SurfandSnow
Topic Author

Delta Sky Club One Day Pass, MCO DL/WN Transfer

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 am

Hello everyone,

I do not travel as frequently as some folks on here, so I thought I would consult those in the know before my upcoming Thanksgiving trip. As usual I will be making the arduous journey from LAX to RSW (if only there was a nonstop option...) during this exceptionally busy time, and I'm hoping I made the right choice this year connecting through MCO rather than ATL to get there. A few questions, though...

Delta Sky Club, One Day Pass - This appears to be a very worthwhile $50 investment. The LAX Sky Club looks to be phenomenal, and I absolutely love the idea of unlimited free booze and snacks  . After indulging I will then be taking DL's redeye flight to MCO, but I would still be eligible to use the MCO facility as according to delta.com "Itineraries that include a date change between origin and destination are treated as the same day of travel." My questions are:

1) Is it quick and easy to just buy the pass at the club? I know they can be bought online, but I would rather just do it at the LAX club since it would be a waste to get one unless I'm airside at least an hour early.

2) What's the MCO club like? I saw pictures of the LAX club on a recent TR, but not sure what MCO's is like. I would ideally grab some juice and breakfast upon arrival at 6:20 AM, then relax for a while since my WN flight to RSW won't leave until 10:05. That leads me to my next question...

Connecting at MCO between DL and WN - I know connecting between totally unaffiliated airlines is risky and potentially difficult, but with a 3 1/2 hour layover I figure it won't be a problem. I don't plan on having a checked bag, which eliminates the need to claim it from DL and then re-check it with WN. As I will already be checked in online with a printed boarding pass, I can go straight to the WN gate. Therefore, I wouldn't leave the secure area at all - except, it sounds like that is easier said than done when it comes to transferring airsides at MCO. Is there really no way to get from Airside 4 (DL) to 2 (WN) without having to go back through security? Also, in case I don't get the Day Pass, which airside is nicer?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

JKJ777

RE: Delta Sky Club One Day Pass, MCO DL/WN Transfe

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Well, as a former Los Angelino who used DL @ LAX frequently, the new Sky Club is a very enjoyable experience. When we moved to the east coast, we got to experience it in it's newer state. I have always enjoyed my time, drinks, papers, television, internet access, and everything else while in the club. You may even bump in to a few known people from time to time. I definitely think that the one day pass is worth it for LAX but I thought that this was a $25 fee, has that recently changed?

deltairlines

RE: Delta Sky Club One Day Pass, MCO DL/WN Transfe

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 am

Quoting SurfandSnow (Thread starter):
2) What's the MCO club like? I saw pictures of the LAX club on a recent TR, but not sure what MCO's is like. I would ideally grab some juice and breakfast upon arrival at 6:20 AM, then relax for a while since my WN flight to RSW won't leave until 10:05. That leads me to my next question...

It's a nice club, though not as nice as a couple of years ago before they shut half of it down with the cutback in MCO operations. It's got a very old-Florida feel to it (very much like the Grand Floridian at Disney World) - good amount of wicker, etc. It's a very nice club though and is in good shape.

Quoting SurfandSnow (Thread starter):
Is there really no way to get from Airside 4 (DL) to 2 (WN) without having to go back through security?

In the morning, it shouldn't be an issue - it becomes an issue in the afternoon with international arrivals messing up the trams. I would recommend boarding the tram on the right side (closer to Airside 2) and bearing right when you get off toward the A2 tram - Airsides 2/4 share the same checkpoint. I believe the left-side (toward the FL gates) forces you out of security.

Quoting JKJ777 (Reply 1):
I definitely think that the one day pass is worth it for LAX but I thought that this was a $25 fee, has that recently changed?

It's $25 for a one-visit pass for Delta AmEx card holders. It's $50 for a one-day pass that can be used at multiple clubs. It used to be only a $25 one-visit pass before the merger; however that has since changed and the NW-style One-Day, As many clubs as you want for $50 pass has been the choice.