cedarjet
Topic Author

Furthest Day Trip You've Taken

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Obviously I wouldn't start this if I wasn't in with a shot at winning, since I just got back from visiting Sydney for a single night to see a concert - arr Sat morning, daytime nap, gig, then back to the airport for a Sun afternoon takeoff. And from LONDON. The milk in my fridge was still fresh when I made a tea when I got back.

I've also done two daytrips to NY (less than twenty four hours each time), and once to Hong Kong (six hours). I find it incredibly exhilerating, the intercontinental day trip is truly the final geographical frontier. What is surprising is how complete an experience is possible.

So share your mileage run / got-to-be-at-a-gig-or-wedding-but-can't-get-the-time-off-work stories with us.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

planeguy727

RE: Furthest Day Trip You've Taken

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am

I have done SYR-PHL-MUC-PHL-SYR. I was in MUC for 4 hours - turned around with the aircraft, never left the airport.

I recently did LGA-PHL-PHX-PVR-CLT-PHL-LGA. I did stay overnight in PVR hotel (10 hours). I did it to work on my doctoral dissertation (I get so much done on the plane).

I've also done a pure domestic version: LGA-PHL-LAX-PHX-DEN-CLT-PHL-LGA, again for dissertation work.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

runner13

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:42 am

A couple of non-rev trips for studying also. Don't remember the flight #'s but they were all on UA, and UA express carriers, and some of them wern't planned due to loads. 1st on is domestic. BNA-ORD CRJ, ORD-SEA B772, SEA-PDX E120, PDX-SFO B752, SFO-SAN A320, SAN-LAX E120, LAX-EWR A320, EWR-IAD E145, IAD-BNA CR7. The 2nd one was to meet my uncle in London for a beer and to study, the original plan got screwed due to loads. BNA-IAD CR7, IAD LHR B744 C upper deck, then it got tricky, LHR-SFO B744, SFO-JFK B752 F redeye, LGA-ORD B735 ORD-DEN B772, DEN-BNA CR7. That was a long and stressfull 36 hrs.

Pe@rson

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 am

Not sure if this was my furthest, but I did LTN-BBU-LTN in June for work. That was a pretty long day, with about 6 1/2 hours flying in total.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 2):
That was a long and stressfull 36 hrs.

Wow, I didn't realise a day in the USA is 36 hours verses 24.  

[Edited 2010-11-11 02:48:10]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

HT

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 am

Presumably the weirdest routing for a daytrip (= returning to starting airport on the same day) I have taken so far would be

TUS - SAN - LAX - TUS (yes, TUS) - PHX - ABQ - TUS

back in April 2001.

a/c included involved E120 (SAN-LAX), B732, B752 and my last flight ever in a B727(-200) flying DL ABQ to TUS, voluntarily selecting a seat in the aft of the aircraft. 

The same vacation also saw TUS-PHX-LAS-SLC-LAS-PHX-TUS with a DL B763 employed on LAS-SLC.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

PlymSpotter

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:04 pm

LHR-AMS-JFK-FCO-LHR with a combination of KLM 733 and 74M, Delta 763 and Alitalia MD82.

I was in New York for about 20 hours, just enough to grab a few hours sleep and go shopping for camera gear which was the reason for my trip. The savings I made over UK prices easily paid for my tickets, hotel and all other expenses. Should have been there for a bit longer, but AZ went on strike so my outbound LHR-MXP-JFK flight was canned as by the time they got back to work MXP was snowbound, meaning I got to spend five hours in a queue waiting to be rebooked via KLM.

As for just out and back trips in a day, I've done a few ones on interesting types but I don't have access to the durations or distances right now:

IEV-CWC-KBP on a Wind Rose Airlines An-24.
KBP-HRK-KBP on a Donbassaero Yak 42D.
KBP-SIP-KBP on a Donbassaero Yak 42D and Aerosvit B732.
GYD-NAJ-GYD on an ImAir Tu-154M and Azerbaijan Airways Tu-154M.

Plus others I haven't got time to list.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pe@rson

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
LHR-AMS-JFK-FCO-LHR with a combination of KLM 733 and 74M, Delta 763 and Alitalia MD82.

I was in New York for about 20 hours

Clearly, not a daytrip - which is what this thread is asking about!  

But, if we're including 2/3 day trips, mine is probably EMA-DUB-PHL-BOS-DCA-LGA-PHL-DUB-EMA. I had about 14 hours in Washington.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Fiveholer

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 pm

The staple of the non-rev traveller! I have done TUL-EWR-FRA-EWR-TUL to try BusinessFirst on the 777. Hopped off CO50, cleared customs, re-checked, paid departure taxes, cleared security and back on CO51 back to EWR. In March, I did TUL-IAH-SNA-OGG-SNA-IAH-TUL for the inaugural CO OGG service. My plans were to return through LAX but we landed in OGG as the LAX flight was pushing back so I rebooked for the return through SNA. A month later, I did TUL-IAH-NRT-IAH-TUL with an overnight at NRT to try out the new flatbeds in BF. Also did TUL-EWR-DUB-EWR-TUL in Oct. 2008 had an afternoon to walk around in Dublin and then back on the return in the morning to EWR. I am starting to question my sanity sometimes. I am only 3 years into the airlines so I am sure the spur of the moment longhaul overnight travelling will wear off. You are pretty frazzled once you get back! LOL A group of us from work are looking to do an overnighter to HKG in early January. TUL-EWR-HKG-EWR-TUL. That should be fun if we can all pull the same days off!

Danny

[Edited 2010-11-11 06:00:52]
Bring back Bethune!

Quokka

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 6):

The OP's trip was clearly not a day trip either. London to Sydney and back, arriving in Sydney on Saturday morning and departing Sunday afternoon. That's over 24 hours in Sydney plus the journey each way, so we are looking at 60 hours or more. Still an impressive feat just to attend a concert though.  

KingFriday013

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 pm

The only day trip I've ever done was on Labor Day this year. I flew ROC-DTW-EWR-DTW-ROC, all on Delta and Delta Connection. EWR-DTW was the final scheduled arrival in DTW of the DC-9-30 -- that is, it was scheduled to be the final time a -30 landed in Detroit. Due to weather and other delays, we had another -30 land right behind us, and even another -30 was still only on its way to GRB by the time we landed if I recall correctly. Also, they had a single -30 operating into October.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

BAViscount

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm

I guess my personal definition of a "daytrip" would mean climbing out of my warm bed in the morning, flying somewhere, spending the day there, flying home and climbing back into said warm bed that same night. Which is probably really just my excuse for why my own personal "furthest day trip" is so much shorter than those already mentioned! 

Anyway, in December 2006 my sister and I decided to give our Mother a birthday surprise by flying her to Venice (one of her favourite places on earth) for the day. She knew nothing of where we were taking her until we were safely airside at LGW, waiting for easyJet's first flight of the day to VCE, leaving at dark o'clock. All she knew was that she needed to bring her passport, so was probably expecting a ferry-hop across the Channel to Calais! We picked her up at 4.30am and headed for Gatwick. As we sat overlooking the airport sipping on our much-needed coffees, I asked if she wanted to know where we were going. She nearly exploded with excitement when I handed her her boarding pass, which stated our destination!

Great flight timings on U2's part gave us a good ten hours to explore that gem of a city and plenty of time to stroll, soak up the pre-Christmas atmosphere, grab a pizza for lunch in a nice little restaurant next to the Rialto Bridge and generally give our Mum a birthday she'll never forget. And all for £43 each too!

So...LGW-VCE-LGW...not that far really, but oh so gratifying!!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Pe@rson

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 8):

The OP's trip was clearly not a day trip either.

Absolutely. However, the thread title is "Furthest Day Trip You've Taken".

cedarjet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:58 pm

The OP's trip was clearly not a day trip either. London to Sydney and back, arriving in Sydney on Saturday morning and departing Sunday afternoon. That's over 24 hours in Sydney plus the journey each way, so we are looking at 60 hours or more.

Quite right, I was gone from Thu night til Mon morning, and was in Sydney for 34 hours. A single night stay qualifies for this discussion I think. It's still a freak of nature and geography to go intercontinental for a single night. As I said in the OP, it's surprising how much you can achieve in a short visit, eg Hong Kong for six hours, which allowed for not much more than a single hour in town, however in that hour me and my buddy rode on the Star Ferry, I bought some jeans, we had some noodles, went to a toy shop, enjoyed the view of the skyline from both sides of the harbour, and had a close-up look at a Taiwanese cruise ship. Great!

Still an impressive feat just to attend a concert though.

Thanks. Worth every one of the forty-four hours in economy it was too!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ajd1992

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Liverpool-Madrid-Liverpool for me. Not so exotic when you consider It's only around an hour and a half each way   I was awake from 4am till 1230am the next day though, so a very long day indeed.

B747forever

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Maybe not very far, but last week I flew ARN-HEL-RIX-MUC-ARN. Flight departed ARN at 6.40am, returned the same day at 8pm.
Work Hard, Fly Right

TUGMASTER

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 pm

As i've been party to several of the trips that cedarjet is refering to, i think we should clarify some points.

DAY TRIP I think it should be origin to origin within 24hrs.

ie.LHR-JFK at 0830, returning on an overnighter to get you back into Blighty at 0630 is acceptable as only 22 hours have passed at the origin station, LHR.

btw, our HKG trip was

LHR 1155 SIN 0745 +1 SQ A380
SIN 0945 HKG 1330 SQ A380
HKG 1830 SIN 2210 SQ B772
SIN 2330 LHR 0555 +1 SQ A380

TOTAL TIME away from LHR was 42hrs, but only 5 hrs at HKG.
The purpose of the trip was SQ selling the fare at 275 GBP rtn.

T

MCO2BRS

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Most I did was when I was in high school and taking summer school classes. I had to be in England for my brothers wedding but also in Orlando for school. I took an 0600 UA flight out of MCO to IAD, 0900 flight to LHR (getting in at 2100), attended the wedding in London at 1000 the next day, got on the train back to LHR and made the flight back that afternoon. I was in the UK for around 15 hours.

While not truly a day trip (I'd say that constitutes there-and-back in 24hrs) that is the closest I've done, clocking in at ~30 hours total.

Cheers

MCO 2 BRS

sectflyer

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm

I did BDL-CVG-SFO-DTW-BDL in order to keep my then NWA silver status. I did it a couple weeks before the end of the year!

OA260

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 pm

I did LGW-BOS-LGW with VS when I was 16 . My mate and I saved up and got the tickets, we never told our parents until one night his Mother looked as his passport and then called my parents lol... the game was up and we got into big trouble   Was worth it though.

sectflyer

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
I did LGW-BOS-LGW with VS when I was 16

Naughty lads! My mom would be in a mental hospital till this day if I had dome that!

PlymSpotter

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 pm

20 hours is less than a day.  

bananaboy

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 am

Furthest trip out and back in 24 hours for me would only be Stansted - Treviso, so not very far.  

I did go LHR-IAD-PHL-MCO-IAD-LHR for mileage run once which was about 36hrs in total as we spent the night in Orlando.

Also, wanted to surprise my family in Los Angeles, so flew out from London for Thanksgiving - arrived at around 5pm and left the next day around 1pm.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

KGRB

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 am

The longest day trip I've taken is probably one of the nicest trips I've been on, altogether. My father and I flew from Green Bay to Cincinnati, Ohio to watch the Milwaukee Brewers take on the Reds. We got to GRB early in the morning, connected in DTW on NW (DL was too expensive nonstop) and arrived at CVG a few hours later. We hopped in a cab to Great American Ballpark, took in the game, bought some merchandise and went back to the airport. We arrived back at GRB around 10 p.m.

The Cincinnati fans were awesome and I hope I can go back to their ballpark again some day!

BTW: I met several Brewers players at CVG before they got on their charter to MKE. Prince Fielder even signed my shirt!
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

runner13

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:20 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 3):
Wow, I didn't realise a day in the USA is 36 hours verses 24.

Obviously you didn't see where I said my plans got screwed up. I was supposed to be back in exactly 24 hrs, but didn't happen. And I guess you didn't get the memo the USA is going to a 36 hour day instead of 24

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
Absolutely. However, the thread title is "Furthest Day Trip You've Taken".

Look out everyone it's the thread title police.

pdxtriple7

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 am

I haven't just done a long day trip yet. I did DFW-SCL-DFW this past August. I left on a Friday night, spent Saturday night in Santiago, and was back at work Monday morning. I am hopefully doing DFW-MAD-JFK/LGA-DFW tomorrow (Friday) and coming back Sunday afternoon.

Aeroflot001

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
I did LGW-BOS-LGW with VS when I was 16 . My mate and I saved up and got the tickets, we never told our parents until one night his Mother looked as his passport and then called my parents lol...

Wow I applaud you, how much time passed before she saw the Dreaded US stamp in your passport. Did you leave the airport in BOS? Absolutely amazing.

Completely blows away my day trip.

Took the 11:00 out of MIA to SJU and took the 21:00 later that night to pick up my sister who stayed longer than us for Spring Break.

The leg out of MIA was in F and is my most memorable experience onboard the now gone AA A300

MH017

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:55 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 10):
I guess my personal definition of a "daytrip" would mean climbing out of my warm bed in the morning, flying somewhere, spending the day there, flying home and climbing back into said warm bed that same night

For me, that would be AMS-PMI on AB early morning (departure around 4am) and PMI-AMS on AB early evening (arrival around 10pm)...about 4 years ago: they don't operate twice daily flights anymore on this route, unfortunately...
don't throw away tomorrow !

OA260

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:30 am

Quoting sectflyer (Reply 19):
Naughty lads! My mom would be in a mental hospital till this day if I had dome that!

LOL... It was my Dad that was on the phone and I heard half the conversation so I knew what was going on. After the call my Dad said '' Go get your passport'' I was sick lol...

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 25):
Wow I applaud you, how much time passed before she saw the Dreaded US stamp in your passport. Did you leave the airport in BOS? Absolutely amazing.

It was a few weeks after. We had a few hours on the ground and we were interviewed by imigration and they thought we were mad. In those days though before 9/11 they didnt think much other than two crazy kids on an adventure.

MHG

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 am

As my personal definition of a day means a day has 24 hrs only one trip qualifies to respond to the OP´s question:

Jan 21 2006:
FRA - TFS (3244 Km / 2014 mi) Condor B 757-300 D-ABOM
TFS - LPA ( 117 Km / 73 mi) Binter ATR 72-200 EC-FKQ
LPA - FRA (3244 KM / 2014 mi) Condor B 757-300 D-ABOH

Alltogether 6605 Km / 4401 mi
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:36 pm

The furthest day trip I took, was actually overnight, but taking only 15 hours, I think it still qualifies as a day trip?

I was in Berlin, and then due to go to Spain for a week before flying back to BOS. I decided to cancel the trip to Spain and just stay in Germany, but my return portion to BOS was out of MAD via FRA and Lufthansa wouldn't let me just check in for the FRA-BOS portion. So, I got a cheap Air Berlin ticket, and flew TXL-PMI-MAD one evening. Spent the night, went back to the airport the next morning and checked in with Lufthansa to fly back to Germany, flying MAD-FRA-BOS.

signol

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:45 pm

I've done a few daytrips, all on Ryanair...
STN-TSF-STN
STN-CIA-STN
STN-BHD-STN
STN-PSA-STN
and on KL (when they still did this route)
STN-AMS-STN

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

srbmod

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 am

My longest day trip was flying ATL-PDX-ATL which according to the Great Circle Mapper, comes in at 4344 miles roundtrip. This was about a decade ago when DL was using PDX as their gateway to Asia and they flew MD-11s into PDX from CVG and ATL and the flights continued on to NGO and NRT. I did this day trip three times. I'd hop off the plane in Portland, wander around the airport for a bit (I think that I had maybe 2 hours or so between arriving in PDX and the return flight to ATL. I enjoyed this trip because I was non-revving and was able to sit up in BusinessElite and while the flight was a domestic flight, it was a tag-on leg to the flights to Japan, so they had the international service onboard. Nothing like sitting down in BusinessElite cabin and an F/A is walking down the aisle with orange juice and champagne and another is wheeling a cart with newspapers on it. If I could have done that trip every week, I would have.

andyinpit

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:31 am

Some guys I used to work with tried to get to the west coast from RIC doing nothing but UA express flights (they work for UA). The routing was something like RIC-IAD-MDT-ORD-MKE-DEN-FAT-LAX. The most I personally did was RIC-ORD-DEN-SFO-LAX-JFK (Red eye)-IAD-RIC.

copter808

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Quoting Fiveholer (Reply 7):
I am starting to question my sanity sometimes.

Yes, I would question it too, had I not done similar trips! Think I flew from MNL-GUM-NRT-EWR-DEL (or BOM)-EWR-HKG-BKK all in one trip with no stops other than connections. This was for one of the Indian Inagurals. Flown ORD-IAH-GIG-IAH-ORD (breakfast and return), ORD-EWR-(the other Indian city)-EWR-ORD, ORD-EWR-OSL-EWR-ORD, as well as a few other inagurals over-and-back on the same plane. EWR-HKG-EWR inagural was on the same aircraft but included an overnight stay. Flew the IAH-EZE-IAH inagural too and may have started that one from Asia too. From what I understand, I was the first passenger to fly the entire CO 87 (CLE-EWR-PVG) inagural.

Currently trying to list for the LOS, AKL, and CAI inagurals

Sorry cedarjet, you lose! (Keep at it though and have fun!)

Hywel

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:19 pm

I was supposed to fly LCY-DUS-LCY on a day trip with Lufthansa, leaving LCY at 8.30am. However the flight was cancelled due to fog and LH rebooked me on a flight from LHR leaving at 2pm. This would mean I only have 3 hours at DUS before flying back, so I persuaded LH to change my return flight to the next day AND book me a hotel in DUS.

The original booking was 99 euros (E-fare buckets), so for 99 euros I had a free night in DUS and a new aircraft type (Eurowings CRJ9 from LHR-DUS). Not bad 

PlaneHunter

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

LoveJT8D

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:16 am

My furthest day trip (if you are counting departing and returning in the same day) was this year to catch a couple of DC-9's on Delta. On July 4th 2010 my route was LAX-MSP-MKE-DTW-LAX.

DC9-50

DC-9-50

777-200LR

DesertAir

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 am

My furthest day trips: TUS-PHX-PDX-LAS-TUS
TUS-DEN-SMF-LAX-TUS

fbgdavidson

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 am

Depends on how you classify a day trip but here's a few of mine

Out to somewhere and back in the same day for purposes of flying:
LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR several times back in 2004/2005: 2379 miles roundtrip

Out to somewhere and back in the same day for purposes of seeing a city:
LHR-TXL-LHR a few times between 2003 and 2005: 1181 miles roundtrip

Most amount of flying in 24hr time period that got me back to originating airport in 24hrs or less
RIC-BOS-DEN-SFO-LAX-IAD-RIC in 2007: 5920 miles roundtrip

General craziness involving less than 24hrs on the ground:
IAD-LHR-AMS-LHR-IAD in 2007: 7815 miles roundtrip....met a friend for a beer and night out in Amsterdam.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Continental

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:20 am

Wow, you all smoked me!

My longest was MSP-DEN-LAX-ORD-MSP. I was at LAX shooting for about 4 hours before I headed back to MN. It was great because it was very cold in MN and very warm in CA. And, I got to fly on the UA 744 LAX-ORD.

RyanairGuru

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:49 am

BNE-CBR-BNE

How embarassing....

*hangs head in shame*
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NorthstarBoy

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:41 am

my longest successful day trip was Den-Dfw-mia-dfw-den. I did it to add the AA 757 to my log plus it didnt hurt that AA was flying the 777 from Dfw-Mia and i can never turn down the opportunity to fly on that beast. I was on the ground in miami for probably less than four hours and got to witness a woman lock herself out of her car while seeing her family off then start shrieking in a foreign language, the family stopped, looked around confusedly, then she gestured and shrieked "go go!" I also got to witness the pure idiocy of the TSA as I tried to take a can of coke through the security checkpoint. I was told i couldn't put it though the xray machine, that it would make a mess inside the tub. i asked if i could place it on the machine to walk thrugh the metal detector, was told no, i need to take it through the metal detector with me, and of course the detector went off, they wanded me trying to figure what made the machine go off, took everything out of my pockets and re-xrayed them. I then went back outside of security to walk through the metal detector again, and when i asked if i can bring the beverage in i was told they didn't know what was in it. All i could think to myself was "Do you honestly think that if this can contained some kind of chemical weapon, i'd be drinking from it?" I tossed the coke in the trash. Finally on the last leg, from Dfw-Den i asked what the ship number of our MD-80 was and not only did the very over enthusiastic gate agent tell me, but retold me excitedly to make sure i remembered it.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

SAA738

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Africa :

PLZ-CPT-JNB-PLZ, Kulula B734, Kulula B734, British Airways (Comair) B732.

Europe :

LBA-DUB-LGW-DUB-LBA, all Ryanair B738.
LBA-BFS-STN-DUB-LBA, Jet2 B733, Easyjet A319, Ryanair B738, Ryanair B738.
LBA-CDG-DUB-LBA, Jet2 B733, Aer Lingus A321, Ryanair B738.

SAA738  
''To fly as fast as thought you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived'' - Richard Bach

AmricanShamrok

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Mine isn't much to write home about. Shannon-London for a day last March with FR.

Outbound:
FR1182 (SNN-LGW)
Depart: 13:05
Arrive: 14:30
Boeing 737-800

Inbound:
FR1185 (LGW-SNN)
Depart: 21:45
Arrive: 23:10
Boeing 737-800

See full report here: London Baby! (SNN-LGW-SNN) With Ryanair+pics (by AmricanShamrok Mar 6 2010 in Trip Reports)

copter808

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Is anyone interested in following this up by breaking it up and starting some new categories? For instance breaking it down into Revenue and Non-rev groups. And defining a "day trip" as taking place within the same calendar day, or within a 24 hour period?

747m8te

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Back when i live in LST in early 2008, i did a day trip on DJ, LST-MEL-BNE...went to a theme park for a few hours....then returned BNE-MEL-LST. 3708km in total.

And whilst not exactly a day trip, a month back I flew CX BNE-HKG and return just for one night, left on the monday returned on the tuesday. 13862km in total.
Flown on:DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400,EMB145,E170,E175,E190,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380,MD80,B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

Quokka

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 40):
How embarassing....

Don't worry about it. Years ago I was in a pub in Naphill in the UK and a local came in all excited that he was going on holidays. When asked where he replied something that sounded like Spain. Everyone was pleased for him and after a few more beers wished him well on his trip.

The next night he turned up in the pub and we were all surprised. We asked "weren't you going on holidays?", to which he replied "I am". He had pitched his tent in a field next to the neighbouring village of Speen, all of two miles away and walked to the pub. True story.

isitsafenow

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

The day after Thanksgiving three years ago.
NW had one of those holiday specials on the "'off"' days....i.e an ElCheapo.
I did FNT-DTW-ATL-DTW-FNT in one day....got to ATL, got something to eat. Then wondered over to a DL Club lounge, had a beer, and went to a different lounge. I had another cold one. I boggied over to the gate for the flight back to DTW and FNT. I was at ATL just under three hours.
That was a fun adventure.
safe   
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

chepos

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 am

I flew from PHX to LIH for the day, we left on Saturday morning, went around the island and came back that evening. We were in Kaua'i for about 6 hours. We've done this to Oahu, Maui and The Big Island as well, but LIH would be the farthest.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

PlymSpotter

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:09 am

Quoting Quokka (Reply 46):
The next night he turned up in the pub and we were all surprised. We asked "weren't you going on holidays?", to which he replied "I am". He had pitched his tent in a field next to the neighbouring village of Speen, all of two miles away and walked to the pub. True story.

I can well believe it and know a couple of families who do just the same. Distance is irrelevant to the quality of experience and bonding between those involved. You don't have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to guarantee having a good time.

Dan