sfotraveler

Question About Star Alliance Partner Awards

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 am

I have tons of United FF miles I need to burn through and was hoping to use them to take an award trip in a premium cabin on a partner carrier...maybe Swiss or Lufthansa or Singapore. Not too picky on destination or time.. Was wondering if there was any trick to finding available seats, i.e., do you have to do it exacly one year in advance or do they release seats at last minute if they are available? It is tough to search as you have to call the United reservation line to check and every random date and destination I check is unavailable. Was thinking of Europe in January or sometime when not many people are traveling. You can't search partner carriers (except for continental and US airways) on-line. Any input is appreciated. I am Prem. Excutive/Star Alliance gold.

planeguy727

RE: Question About Star Alliance Partner Awards

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Join the ANA ff program - then you can log into their website which displays *A award seats (unlike the rest of the group). Nifty trick I used when trying to use UA miles for 2 people and US miles for 1 and get all 3 on the same flights in C.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

BHD

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 1):

I tried this but cannot gain access to the S* search functionality as it is stating that I must have a certain amout of ANA miles before I can access this - any ideas???

Thanks
Woody

sfotraveler

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for the idea. Will give it a try.

planeguy727

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm

I've not tried to do one of these searches in a while. I can try again from home tonight and will see what happens.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...