IBOAviator
Topic Author

Air Canada Fares? Somethings Not Right Here

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:52 am

I was just browsing the AC website (with not much intent at all) and noticed that the fares for AC flights leaving LHR for YYZ on Dec. 17 were rather peculiar.

From their fare page:
AC fares - First class is cheaper than Economy

Executive class is cheaper than tango Plus (economy).

I'm not complaining because I think its awesome that you can now buy a first class tix for less than an economy class tix    but honestly, where is the motive for selling the remaining economy seats?

And sorry for the weird way of attaching the fare page but the AC has an expiration time on their booking site now so i don't want to attach the web url and have the page expire 10 min after I post.

Cheers
Keep Calm and Go Around!

TBloemink

RE: Air Canada Fares? Somethings Not Right Here

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 pm

I think because its ''lowest''. This means you can't change anything. Seats can't be chosen until 24 hours before departure, or you cant even do that 24 hrs before departure. I think that's for people who want to sit in First, but won't need the extra's. Just the flight in first. Thats what I think.
Flown on: A300, A319, A320, A321, A330(-200,300), A380, B717, B737(-400,700,800,900), B747, B777(-200,300), B787-9, Embraer 170, Fokker 70

LAXintl

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Actually not that odd at all -- its during the holidays when premium cabins often see huge discounts.

For example Lufthansa has a sale through next Wednesday where business class from LAX to Europe its only $1,900 RT versus over $3,000 one-way for travel over the next few weeks.
I know BA, AirNZ, and a few of the US carriers do similar also during the holidays.

Also in your specific Air Canada case, you are looking at a full unrestricted Y-class fare versus what will be a heavily restricted Executive Class fare. Hence the difference. One has flexibility, other does not.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

IBOAviator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Quoting TBloemink (Reply 1):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Also in your specific Air Canada case, you are looking at a full unrestricted Y-class fare versus what will be a heavily restricted Executive Class fare. Hence the difference. One has flexibility, other does not.

I don't think so. Take a look at this http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/aco/flights/pop_ukfare.html

Hardly any difference between the two executive class options. With AC, you get the same everything in First whether you choose the Lowest rate or the Flexible rate. The flexible rate gives you 25% more miles and saves you the small fee if you want to make a change to your itinerary 2 hours prior to departure.

I just checked back on the booking page for the exact same itinerary this morning and everything is changed. The lowest executive fare is no longer offered and there are more economy fares offered now. Turns out that this was part of their "Fly on a flat bed to Europe and save" campaign. Not really advertised but thats AC.

Still, you would think that they would lower the price for economy so they ensure they sell those seats as well  

Cheers

[Edited 2010-12-11 11:19:09]
Keep Calm and Go Around!

LAXintl

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Quoting IBOAviator (Reply 3):
"Fly on a flat bed to Europe and save"

As I said, these were special premium fares.

These types of discount premium seats have restrictions on a host of things which can include, advance purchase, date/time restrictions, change fees, etc..

At the end of the day, yes promotional and restricted premium seat offerings can end up being cheaper then a full fare Y class.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

IBOAviator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:49 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
At the end of the day, yes promotional and restricted premium seat offerings can end up being cheaper then a full fare Y class.

Thanks LAX for the info. That certainly came as a surprise to me.

Cheers!
Keep Calm and Go Around!