777fan
Topic Author

Most Depressing Airport You've Flown Into/Out Of

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:35 am

Figured this one might generate some interesting chatter: what's the most depressing commercially served airport you've ever flown into or out of? When I say "depressing", I'm looking for infrastructure, signs of neglect, unused space, or identifiers that the facility was way past its heyday, not "depressing" as in your significant other just dumped you and you found the airport on your way out of town to be "depressing."

In my case, it'd have to be KBGR (Bangor, ME). I arrived in the morning to ice fog and upon entering the terminal, was greeted by a bus station-like terminal (replete with 1950s-era cinder block walls everywhere), worn carpet, winding, narrow hallways, and a persistent stench of "old". The place was an RJ heaven but I suppose that back in the day was visited by 707s, 727s, etc. There was a "snack bar" with grease/smoke stains on the ceiling, a gift shop catering to nobody in particular, plenty of old school analog clocks, near broken escalators going up/down to the baggage claim (about 10 vertical feet) which screamed of a pork barrel project dating to 1948, and bathrooms that rival the worst high schools in the U.S. in terms of stench, cleanliness, and appearance. Upon the taxi out, we passed the "Maine Aviation Museum" which consisted of a near windowless cinder block building and a couple of rusted out aircraft outside in a yard of some sort.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

isitsafenow

RE: Most Depressing Airport You've Flown Into/Out

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

DTW's NW building before the move to the new terminal.
That place had nothing going for it except the bars.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

sw733

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:06 pm

LAS - a bunch of hungover, broke people who have been too busy to shower...and a depressingly run down airport to boot!  

desertjets

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Gatwick South -- after a 8 hour transatlantic flight it didn't seem like the place was a major international gateway. On leaving a week later the placed seemed like a shopping mall with an airport attached off at the side.

JFK Terminal 2 (RJ arrival/departure area). Between the bus station like atmosphere near the RJ gates, the random dank staircase to get up/down to the tarmac it is pretty bleak. Which is sort of sad b/c T2 otherwise has some nice mid-century architectural features going on.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

flymia

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:22 pm

FCO is mine. Many of the terminals have no views and seem old. The whole place is stuck in the 70s. MIA used to be like this but for the last 5 years or so I am glad to say this is no longer the case. Also IAD UA terminals are not great either. I just do not enjoy low ceilings and narrow hallways.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

andz

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm

CDG.

A disgusting building manned by disgusting people.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AR385

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm

CDG: Filthy, smells like human waste, cold, and an obsession with concrete that makes it look like an insane asylum.
GRU: See above
La Paz, Bolivia: A second rate bus station, basically.
FCO: As filthy as CDG

mdavies06

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm

CDG is not too bad. T1 is bad, 2 is not that bad. Have you been to T1 of Cairo or Delhi before? Those are bad.

MCO2BRS

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:08 pm

For me, it would be DSA, just after it opened in 2005.

MCO 2 BRS

rwsea

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I really hate PHX. The place is drab in a 1970s way, with ugly carpeting everywhere. There are almost zero food options, unless you want fast food or rip-off generic airport food from the bars. Really an unpleasant place to connect.

UltimateDelta

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 pm

IAD...under these circumstances:

I flew there back in October of 2001. Obviously not many people were traveling, and I remember there being virtually nobody in the whole main building. That was truly eerie.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

BasilFawlty

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Definitely terminal 2 at MXP. Also BFS, LBA and GVA are quite depressing in my opinion.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

BMI727

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 5):
CDG.

A disgusting building manned by disgusting people.

I second that. I was shocked that CDG is the same age as DFW. Dallas has aged much better. Honorable mention to T2 at JFK.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

washingtonian

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:13 am

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 10):
IAD...under these circumstances:

I flew there back in October of 2001. Obviously not many people were traveling, and I remember there being virtually nobody in the whole main building. That was truly eerie.

Dulles has come a long way in this decade. New security checkpoint, new underground people mover, underground walkway to Concourse A/B, extended Concourse B, new FIS facilities, new runway, new ATC tower, metro being built out towards IAD as I type this, etc.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 12):
Honorable mention to T2 at JFK.

T2 is not that bad. T3 at JFK is pretty depressing in a nostalgic kind of way. Same went for T 8&9 before the new terminal opened in 2005.

LGA Concourse C is pretty depressing IMO.

yendig

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:15 am

PDV (Plovdiv, Bulgaria) - utterly awful in Feb 2008. The airport security decided I didn't need my four rechargable camera batteries (worth £50 and in my camera bag at the time) and threw them in the bin! Don't ever disagree with terminal security when they have guns....

PMV (Porlamar, Isla Margarita, Venezuela) - admittedly we departed during a tropical rain storm in Oct 2008, but there is no excuse in this day-and-age for travellers needing to huddle together between the waterfalls pouring from the terminal ceiling light fixtures    Wow!

ba286

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:37 am

CDG is one, only because of the seemingly endless bus-rides one must endure prior to getting ANYWHERE. Once, after arriving on Air France from SFO, I was forced to clear security twice; before boarding the bus to the regional terminal and then again upon arrival at the regional terminal. The bus ride took about 30 min. The whole "experience" took twice as long as my connecting flight to DUS.

Another airport that I disdain is WAW. Though I have not been there in about a year (so I cant comment on the new terminal) I have always found the place very gloomy. The old terminal is so amazingly disorganized that it lingers on the verge of being fantastic... Never before have I been in a check in area as crowded and claustrophobic as WAW. Dont even get me started about the lack of shoppes and even an outlet that carries bottled water. Oh and in just a couple of days I will be there yet again, though hopefully in the new terminal.

Quoting yendig (Reply 14):
PDV (Plovdiv, Bulgaria) - utterly awful in Feb 2008. The airport security decided I didn't need my four rechargable camera batteries (worth £50 and in my camera bag at the time) and threw them in the bin! Don't ever disagree with terminal security when they have guns....

Terrible, I'm sorry to hear that. I cant imagine what their rationale was for disposing of your batteries. Oh well, some folks have got nothing better to do than ruin peoples trips - some even get a kick out of it, it seems.
E190 A318 A319 A320 A343 ATR42 717 732 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 772 DC-10 MD-11

Superfly

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:44 am

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 9):
I really hate PHX. The place is drab in a 1970s way, with ugly carpeting everywhere. There are almost zero food options, unless you want fast food or rip-off generic airport food from the bars. Really an unpleasant place to connect.

Read this review by Larry J

http://www.yelp.com/biz/phoenix-sky-...hoenix#hrid:luTx-5jPdA7kZAAWT_M0_w

I happen to like Phoenix Sky Harbor.  
They seem to have the best Mexican food offered at an airport.

The saddest airport I've flown to was the old Indianapolis airport terminal in 2005.
Seemed like a bland & run down old high school building.
I haven't been to the new terminal yet.
Bring back the Concorde

MillwallSean

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Can I just say that nothing, nothing beats Islamabad. In terms of depressing its so sad that it hurts anyone flying in there just want to get out asap. Mice in the bathrooms, cleaners that surprisingly dont seem to clean, half broken equipment and absolute chaos. Add on that its very dark, has plenty of blinking lights, fans that doesnt seem to work or has a Casablanca (The movie) feel to them and you can imagine what kind of place it is.
Ahum did I mention that there are dust at most places and paint falling of the walls.
Yet again my impressions here arent that recent, I used to travel there frequently a few years ago.

Another airport from hell is Dhaka. Dhaka transfer area used to have one dutyfree shop, one restaurant, one filthy toilet, 2 old school TV:s and smoking areas that weren't fully enclosed cue the entire place stank of smoke. Stray cats in the terminal and a floor not cleaned since the brits left. Add on endemic corruption maybe 40 chairs in the terminal and you get a picture thats everything but rosy.
And if you walk a bit further they have old leather chairs, must have been installed in the brown days of the 1970:ies and broken in many places. Havent been there for five years and my colleagues say its a lot better now, not sure what to believe. When I used to travel there it was a nightmare and just made you feel depressed and longing to leave the place. A pity, because the people of Bangladesh are usually very polite and nice to chat with and the women are beautiful indeed.

People complaining about LGW or CDG needs to see the world. I love them both.

In the more fancy places DOH is really bad, at least if you fly economy.
Its the worst airport that I am forced to use regular basis these days.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

fixfox

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 pm

True, Islamabad, Khartoum, Sana'a are not the best airports but all typical 3rd world destinations so you accept a certain lack of comfort in these places.

However from European airports you can expect more and from this perspective, CDG stands out absolutely negatively.
As a person you can transfer within 60min from T2F to T2E and so on, but your luggage in general not.

The best European airports are probably Berlin and Stuttgart, from front door to gate can be done in 15min., incl. bagage drop and security

lax888

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm

The worst airport I have been to is LED and then probably some of the older airports in China although they have been upgraded or pulled down now. Another terrible airport is BOM.
People who say that some US airports are bad, should really see the real thing which exists outside of the US.

AustrianZRH

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:03 pm

CDG. Long ways, bad signage, unfriendly staff.
VIE. Very dated, dark, security at the gate, crowded gate lounges. Bring up the new terminal already...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

727tiger

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 pm

For me, these were, in their days, the most depressing:

The old MDW -- back in the late-80s and early-90s, it was cramped, crowded and cinder block glory.

The former AEX terminal -- spent an entire weekday afternoon there waiting for my late-afternoon flight to MEM. Just 2 of us in the terminal. No wifi, of course. The snack bar guys went on break and told us to help ourselves to soda or snacks, and we'd settle up when they got back. Thought I'd lose my mind to boredom.

PHX Terminal 3 (the South gates wing) is no picnic after security, either.

sw733

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
smells like human waste

Well, I mean...I think that has more to do with the country it is in than the airport itself   

dl767captain

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:32 pm

ATL terminal D (I think that was the one) where most of the RJ flights operate out of, plus the rest of the non DL carriers. I flew in from CHS or a CRJ and wound up in Terminal D walking around the apron to get to the terminal, up some steps into a run down ATL terminal nothing like the rest. It still had carpet, CRT monitors for flight arrivals (half of them not working) old flickering lighted areas where old customer service desks used to be. Ripped and broken seats and trash everywhere. What seemed like every midwestern family with eight suitcases and nine kids each walking in masses finding their flights to tiny little RJs. I went straight from D to the international terminal to catch my flight and it was literally like night and day.

aloges

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:59 am

BVB: Due to unforeseen circumstances, I got stuck in the place for IIRC 19 hours. There was nothing left to do after one.

To the gentleman who commented on LPB - at least they've got a couple of things to do and there are actual people present!   Although I see what you mean if you arrived at the international concourse and never entered the main one.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RamblinMan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Bima, Indonesia is kind of depressing, but in an amusing sort of way... It tries to act like a real airport, got check-in counters, security, FIDS, the works. They had exactly ONE daily departure to DPS, and that was it.

MKL is more of the same. They've got a fairly new terminal building with all of the above, and all the equipment needed for TSA screening. They don't get a chance to use it though, because the only commercial flights are 3 daily caravans to BNA. Just 27 daily pax...if all 3 are full which is not a common sight.

Speaking of, D Concourse at BNA is depressing to me because it is a reminder of the AA hub of my childhood. Used to see tons of Eagle J32s down there, now it's deserted.

icarus75

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 am

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 20):
CDG. Long ways, bad signage, unfriendly staff.

Seeing your post, I guess you've never had to connect in FRA, ORD, EWR!!

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 17):
People complaining about LGW or CDG needs to see the world. I love them both.

I agree.Of course 2A,2B,2C &2D are not the best terminals but they are currently under refurbishment.
Flying is amazing!

BMI727

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:01 am

Quoting Icarus75 (Reply 26):
Seeing your post, I guess you've never had to connect in FRA, ORD, EWR!!

CDG isn't the best airport out there in terms of function, but it does well enough I suppose. But as far as just being depressing, it's pretty hard to beat.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AustrianZRH

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 am

Quoting Icarus75 (Reply 26):
I guess you've never had to connect in FRA, ORD, EWR!!

I did in FRA and ORD. Had better days there however. This is of course just my personal impression, and I only used CDG as final destination. Queues at immigration always ridiculously long, finding the way from my gate to the RER station was guesswork the first time, only three ticket machines and two of them inoperable the last time I was there.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Severnaya

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Quoting LAX888 (Reply 19):
The worst airport I have been to is LED

Interesting! The new airport is being built now so it'll improve a great way like the new SVO terminals (D & E).

For me so far the worst is RVN, I didn't know what to do there at all, stay far away from the airport and head into the nature or to Santa's house!
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

Ychocky

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Not really depressing, but my heart sank at CDG when the single manned security line for 2F snaked endlessly into the distance. With multiple wide body flights (including mine) departing soon.

nycdave

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 am

While I imagine there are many 3rd world airports that are worse... out of my personal experience, I'd have to go with:

LWO - verrrrrry very small, terminal is basically a brick shed with an incongrously columned fascade stuck onto the landside entrance. Getting off the plane, you're herded into a garage where you wait for a tractor to dump all the luggage onto the floor for you to paw through. Really gives you that old-school depressing, late-soviet era "wait in line for your turnips and bread" sort of feel. Which is a shame -- because Lvov and western Ukraine were absolutely lovely, and really beautiful with lots to recommend them. Hope they upgrade before the Euro cup in 2012!

for the big ones... two choices:

JFK (terminal 3 ONLY) -- I'm sorry, it's just depressing and embarassing as an American to think that THIS steaming pile is what thousands upon thousands of people have as their first impression of your country. The sooner they tear it down, the better. Yes, I wish they were preserving the worldport rotunda as an entry plaza or something, but... no. Just.... new terminal. NOW!

FRA -- I hate this airport with a passion. Yes, CDG is renowned for something which can only be described as "customer service" in bizzaro world, but at least the architecture of the place is TRYING to be grand and spacious and inspiring (yes, it fails, but at least it tries!). FRA is just a series of architectural dumps strung together on an ad-hoc basis with an absurd maze of secure/unsecure zones and passageways, all littered with those lovely little smoking pods that do little to contain the smoke of cigarette-puffing travelers. With few exceptions, I've also found the service to be pretty attrocious... AT THE STORES. While the security/airport service people aren't too awful, the amount of disdain and contempt -- or outright abuse -- I've seen towards passengers makes me wonder how the heck half of the coffee bars and duty frees manage to keep their concessions. My vision of hell is something like FRA.

srbmod

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Quoting dl767captain (Reply 23):
ATL terminal D (I think that was the one) where most of the RJ flights operate out of, plus the rest of the non DL carriers. I flew in from CHS or a CRJ and wound up in Terminal D walking around the apron to get to the terminal, up some steps into a run down ATL terminal nothing like the rest. It still had carpet, CRT monitors for flight arrivals (half of them not working) old flickering lighted areas where old customer service desks used to be. Ripped and broken seats and trash everywhere. What seemed like every midwestern family with eight suitcases and nine kids each walking in masses finding their flights to tiny little RJs. I went straight from D to the international terminal to catch my flight and it was literally like night and day.

Concourse D is the proverbial redheaded stepchild of ATL. While there has been some improvements in the last few years (the new gates on D South), a lot of the Concourse is stuck in a bit of a time warp. Unfortunately, short of tearing the concourse down and building it anew, there's not much that can be done. Maybe once the new International terminal opens, they'll look into refreshing D some more.

HT

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I'll put my    into HKG Kai Tak, last used a few months prior to its closure. Way too crowded, little space, bad air conditioning, ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

B595

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:52 am

United Express gates B80-B92 at DEN.

Nowhere near enough gate space/seats for the amount of people being jammed through there. Confined, stuffy, dark, and chaotic. I flew out in early November and thought I was going through MDW fifteen years ago.

goldorak

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 am

Quoting LAX888 (Reply 19):
The worst airport I have been to is LED

I agree. LED is one of the worst, in par with old SVO2. Some airports in Vietnam are awful also like Nha Trang, Dalat, Da-Nang.

KingFriday013

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 am

EWR or PHL. No clue, but they both just suck. Never again.

(Okay, maybe PHL again if I'm desperate, but you will probably never see me at the airport in Newark NEW JERSEY again.)

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

airevents

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Kiev Borispol would rank highly for me. Very chaotic and unorganized, not very well taken care of, generally very unpleasant to travel through plus add long waiting times for immigration to that. Boooooooooooh!
www.airevents.com

vegasplanes

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting isitsafenow (Reply 1):
DTW's NW building before the move to the new terminal.

Agree, the Davies Terminal was no fun for originating passengers and must have been a nightmare to connect in with all the finger concourses. The Smith terminal, while run-down, was at least easy to navigate and not nearly as crowded as Davies.

As for the McNamara Terminal (Worldport), I absolutely love it! Lots of food options and easy for connections and O/D passengers. Have not experienced the North Terminal yet, from what I have read it should work well for the carriers operating there.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
LAS - a bunch of hungover, broke people who have been too busy to shower...and a depressingly run down airport to boot!

Are we talking about the airport specifically or the town in general?  

Seriously though, I enjoy the A/B gates for their "period" appearance and as no tram is needed to get to the gates. In addition, prior to the "C" gates ramp being re-done, the A/B gates were relatively uncrowded as US pulled down the hub and WN mostly operates out of "C". The "D" gates, while by far the nicest part of the airport, are a hassle due to the tram and excessively long waits to retrieve luggage from baggage claim. Terminal 2, while stuck in the '80's, is easy to use if one is an O/D passenger and not making connections.

My personal list of Depressing Airports:

DET - Detroit City Airport, at the time (early '90's) WN was the only carrier and it was depressing seeing a terminal with just a snack bar, newstand, and a couple of gates with hardly any passengers around. Currently no commercial service.

BHM - Concourse "C", reminds me of DTW prior to the re-build, also very limited food options and SLLOOOOWWW service to boot!

CLE - Concourse A/B/C, again reminds of old DTW. In "B", the gate areas that they've turned into retail with what looks like cubicle partitions. Tiny lounges with not enough seats for UA and WN. DL was OK when I was there, but they only had a CRJ-200 to DTW departing, the lounge was right-sized for that aircraft. Concourse "D" is nice, I hope if UA/CO does pull down the CLE hub that the airport consolidates operations in "D", maybe redo the jetways for mainline aircraft on half the concourse and leave the other half as is.

HPN - Incredibly cramped for the operations, need a bigger terminal ASAP! Yes, I realize the NIMBY issues, still I prefer HPN as opposed to LGA, JFK, or BDL when heading to the area.

JFK - T2/3, obvious reasons, see above posts.

LAX - T1, seems like a prison with not enough windows and constantly packed.

PHX - long distances between concourses, limited food options behind security, lousy operating hours. Last month I was connecting in PHX, we arrived at approx. 9 PM, the flight I was connecting to was delayed until 11 PM, not even a place open to buy a Coke! Actually, employees where still in the Bar, but were more interested in cleaning and going home than the effort it would take to ring up a drink and put it in a cup to go!

KDTWflyer

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 am

I think flying Pro Air out of Detroit City DET (KDET) takes the cake for this thread. The area around the airport is very ghetto. Pro Air eventually left DET and now as far as I know, no air carrier serves the airport anymore. I flew out of there in May 2000 to BWI for a school field trip on one of the B734s.
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

airtrainer

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Quoting Ychocky (Reply 30):
Not really depressing, but my heart sank at CDG when the single manned security line for 2F snaked endlessly into the distance. With multiple wide body flights (including mine) departing soon.

I had the same bad experience at 2E arrivals, spent more time in the queue than in the plane (ok, I was coming from LHR but still it was a nightmare).

Back to the topic, my vote goes to TSF.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

sw733

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Quoting vegasplanes (Reply 38):
Are we talking about the airport specifically or the town in general?

Airport specifically. I just generally despise that airport.

vegasplanes

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 41):
Airport specifically. I just generally despise that airport.

I understand completely! Unfortunately it's my "home" airport for the time being.

cvg2lga

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I would have to say,

Manaus. The observation area (FOR's as well) is dirty and not very well taken care of. The terminal itself is boring, drab and just old (not in a good way).

Fortaleza. I've had days here where I've waited 11-12 hours to make a flight to the US,coming from Paraiba and it is not enjoyable outside the sterile area. Once inside the sterile area (int'l terminal) there is the Duty Free store, one snack bar and 1 bookstore, however there are 3 comfy recliners around the corner by the lounge.

Key West. Very small and cramped, circa 2007.

Cincinnati. When I started working there in 1999 it was a vibrant life force of the community. Today it's 80% shuttered up. Terminal 1 while I enjoyed the historical aspect of it the terminal and concourse are in need of renovation. "IF" T1 were to be reopened and used again.

T2 isn't as bad outside the sterile area. There are a couple places to eat and a shop or two, plenty of seating and with the security checkpoint renovated that makes it much nicer. The old checkpoint was partially positioned on a slope. Go figure that. However in the gate areas the windows are like that of a CRJ. Too low to see anything worthwhile out of unless you crouch down.

Concourse A was given some new life once the connection carriers started operating out of there. Often times many years ago most of the stores at the far end were hardly to never opened since DL didn't use the gates down there as much. Most stores only opened during the "pushes" anyway or late in the day closing early in the evening. There was plenty of seating in A the last few years and the food/retail choices were pretty decent as well. It just needed some updating with the times.

Concourse B is beginning to show some age. I haven't really been to CVG much since the closure of A (end of my job) but before that some days were pretty bad for the shops and food places. They would close early, some would not even open on certain days (not counting Chik-Fil-A).

Concourse C I think for the most part was decent. It was very loud and confusing with so many announcements made from basically one spot (all of the podiums) on each team. There were more food choices than before it was expanded. The old foodcourt was a nightmare. Seating was good but it could easily become cramped and crowded anytime there were delays. The bus system probably 80% of pax were not happy with. I understand how annoying and difficult it was sometimes to get from one concourse to the other within specific time frames. However as an aviation freak, even before I began working at CVG, I loved being able to take the bus around the field because it gave an ground level view of everything going on.

DHL. The old building has sat empty and vacant since they originally pulled out of CVG. The new facility was virtually empty too for years until they moved back. Last year (and previously) some of the deice pads were located where DHL now parks aircraft. As it has become once again occupied, the usage has been greatly upgraded in the last year or so. Much to my appreciation (and I'm sure those locally employed), watching DC8's doing touch and go's on a sunday afternoon or 744F's and MD11F's coming and going were a rare & real treat for myself. Hell even 767's have become rare at CVG on a comparable scale to "back in the day".

It is depressing in itself to see what has become of CVG today.

Tchau

DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

Jetsgo

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 am

I don't recall which terminal it was, but whatever terminal DL used at JFK in 10/2009 for flights to MXP is a complete joke.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

aloges

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Quoting cvg2lga (Reply 43):
Manaus. The observation area (FOR's as well) is dirty and not very well taken care of. The terminal itself is boring, drab and just old (not in a good way).

Curious, isn't it? After the aforementioned "ordeal" (wasn't really that bad) at BVB, MAO seemed like an amusement park. But obviously, my perspective was slightly skewed at the time.

Quoting aloges (Reply 24):
BVB: Due to unforeseen circumstances, I got stuck in the place for IIRC 19 hours. There was nothing left to do after one.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

eicvd

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 pm

LHR, the RoI gates in Terminal 1 to be exact, just a horrible area. The rest of Heathrow cant be as bad as that.
COYBIB

robso2

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 pm

I'd have to say NBO is the most depressing airport I have been to. Very run down, terrible business lounges. So little seating that passengers are sitting all over the floor space..!
733/4/5/6/7/8/9, 319/20/21, 752, 744, 772/W, 332/3, 343/6, E70/90, AT43, AR85/1, D38, D10, M82

DeltaRules

Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:43 am

JFK T2 and T3, though I would like to go back one more time to explore more than I got to the one and only time I was there.

I'm surprised nobody's said MEM...there are parts of that place that look like it's still 1965. I happen to like the retro feel of MEM, though.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

PlymSpotter

Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:21 am

Quoting nycdave (Reply 31):
LWO - verrrrrry very small, terminal is basically a brick shed with an incongrously columned fascade stuck onto the landside entrance. Getting off the plane, you're herded into a garage where you wait for a tractor to dump all the luggage onto the floor for you to paw through. Really gives you that old-school depressing, late-soviet era "wait in line for your turnips and bread" sort of feel. Which is a shame -- because Lvov and western Ukraine were absolutely lovely, and really beautiful with lots to recommend them. Hope they upgrade before the Euro cup in 2012!

I found Lvov to be one of the better airports in Ukraine. Classical railway architecture for the original terminal, and a not too shabby modern extension.

Quoting airevents (Reply 37):
Kiev Borispol would rank highly for me. Very chaotic and unorganized, not very well taken care of, generally very unpleasant to travel through plus add long waiting times for immigration to that. Boooooooooooh!

Still, at least it's representative of the Ukraine     

But yes, until the new terminal was opened I think it must have ranked proportionally as the smallest terminal facility anywhere, considering it is the national airport of a country with 45 million people. The domestic terminal was partly constructed from a marquee!

The most depressing I've been through was CWC - Chernivtsi, in south western Ukraine. There was no terminal to experience on exit; you picked your bags up on leaving the aircraft and walked through a side gate onto the street, having stepped over another gate laying on the path. On leaving the terminal was a patchwork of 70s drab mixed with original classical design features, with virtually no lighting and various stages of abandoned redevelopment - a very austere and depressing place to sit and wait for the flight.

Exit:

Terminal exterior:

Departure lounge:

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...