UnitedFlyer
Topic Author

UA Mileage Plus Reservation To YYT

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 am

I am attempting to use United Mileage Plus points to travel from Medford, OR to St. John's Newfoundland for two passengers. Our dates of travel are from July 30 to Aug 13, 2011. It appears getting all the way to St. John's is nearly impossible with points. Is it allowable to use points for a portion of the trip and purchase the last leg into St. John's? I have been told this is not allowed due to TSA and government regulations because we would have 2 separate tickets instead of one. I don't see what difference this makes but any assistance or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

longhauler

RE: UA Mileage Plus Reservation To YYT

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Travel to Newfoundland is tough at best during the summer. Try other airports on the island, like YQX, YJT or YDF, then rent a car for the rest of the way. Or, if that is not possible, try YQY or YHZ, rent a car, and take the ferry across the gulf.

A word of advice though, as the season is very short, book hotels and car rentals as soon as you know. It is not uncommon for both to be sold out months in advance.

Enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful place!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

CXA330300

RE: UA Mileage Plus Reservation To YYT

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 1):
Try other airports on the island, like YQX, YJT or YDF, then rent a car for the rest of the way. Or, if that is not possible, try YQY or YHZ, rent

YDF has direct mainline flights to and from Toronto, so that might be a better bet than YQX.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J