mozart
Topic Author

Airports With Scheduled Service And Gravel Runway?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 pm

I have come across pictures and reports of some 737-200 with gravel kits, both in Alaska and Northern Canada.

Are there today still airports that have scheduled air service and only gravel runway? Others that do not have asphalt or concrete surface runways?

Or can those gravel kits now go away?

coopdogyo

RE: Airports With Scheduled Service And Gravel Run

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Alaska Airlines used to keep 737-200 with gravel kits for unpaved runways but when the all the airports they flew to got paved runways they got rid of them.

aloges

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

I think Canadian North fly to airports with gravel runways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_North#Destinations
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:49 pm

A large number of airports in Scotland fill this description, having either grass or gravel runways. However they only see service by Islanders, not 737s.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

reifel

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Isn't there also this incredible beach landing strip in Scotland (I guess BA and BE are flying there)...

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 4):

Isn't there also this incredible beach landing strip in Scotland (I guess BA and BE are flying there)...

There is indeed; BE fly there although it's actually operated as a franchise by Loganair with DH6s.

mozart
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):

A large number of airports in Scotland fill this description, having either grass or gravel runways. However they only see service by Islanders, not 737s.

Really? Which ones?

Quoting reifel (Reply 4):

Yep, that's Barra. Incredible, as you say. Loganair flies there with Dash6. Loganair is now a BE franchise, used to be a BA franchise.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting mozart (Reply 6):
Really? Which ones?

Off the top of my head; Foula Airport, Sanday, Stronsay, Fair Isle, Papa Stour, Whalsay, Westray Airport, Eday Airport, and North Ronaldsay. I'm not some swat on Scottish airport surfaces, some may in fact be hardcore not gravel, I'm just planning a trip up around the far North of Scotland and hope to take in as many of these places as possible.

Dan  

Viscount724

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 am

Quoting mozart (Thread starter):
I have come across pictures and reports of some 737-200 with gravel kits, both in Alaska and Northern Canada.

If memory correct, AS removed the gravel kits from their 732 combis some time before they were retired as the only airport they had been serving in Alaska with a gravel runway had been paved. There are still many airports with gravel runways in northern Canada. In fact, only a minority of airports with scheduled service in that remote part of Canada have paved runways.

The 732 combis in Canada also serve many privately-operated gravel airstrips serving mines etc. to shuttle crews and equipment to those locations. Not sure what those operators will do when those aircraft that have had decades of that type of service finally have to be retired. There really isn't any other aircraft with the same capabilities, and 737s with CFM engines can't be equipped for gravel operations.