N737MC
Topic Author

Kalitta CKS916 KMSY-KANC Right Now

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey guys, I live in north Denver and saw this beauty making a nice trail going northwest bound. CKS916 from KMSY-KANC operated by an all white 747-200F. Does anyone know the reg for this flight? I watched it with my binoculars and so nice to see this classic jet still flying over!

Does anyone know the reason for this routing today? I know it is a chart of some sort.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CKS916

Thanks

Aaron

tb727

RE: Kalitta CKS916 KMSY-KANC Right Now

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Not sure, it went into MSY from EGNX yesterday as CKS216. If it's all white, chances are pretty good it is one of the "new" ones from NW. Hasn't been painted into full Kalitta colors yet.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Continental

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting N737MC (Thread starter):
KMSY-KANC

It's actually PANC. Why Hawaii and Alaska use "P" instead of "K", I'm not sure!

falstaff

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 2):
I didn't know that. Is it because they used "P" before they were states and things just stayed that way even after they became states? Do they use "K" on US airports that are not in states?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

71Zulu

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 am

Don't think there has been a Kalitta 747 here since the height of the oil leak cleanup about 6 months ago. Don't know why it was in MSY but always a nice sight to see!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...6/history/20110129/1800Z/KMSY/PANC
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...6/history/20110130/0745Z/PANC/ZSPD
Clickable links only please!

blueflyer

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 2):

Technically, Hawaii uses PH and Alaska uses PA (or PF or PO or PP), not just P.

The ICAO four-letter code has actually been designed to indicate part of the world and country where an airport is located. The first letter indicates which of the 22 ICAO regions the airport is in, and the second letter which country (in some cases, "country" is a loose term) within that region the airport is in. The remaining two letters are the actual airport code.

Hawaii is in the P region (Eastern North Pacific), in the H country (USA - State of Hawaii). Technically, Honolulu's airport code is NL, in H country and P region, thus PHNL.

Alaska is in the P region too, and most airports are in the A country (USA - State of Alaska). For some reasons, there are a few exceptions such as the Ft Yukon area which has its own country, F (USA - State of Alaska - Ft Yukon). Anchorage's airport code is NC, Ft Yukon's is YU, so their respective full ICAO codes are PANC and PFYU.

There are three countries large enough that they each get an entire region to themselves, and airports within these countries get a three-letter code. They are C (Canada), K (Contiguous United States) and Y (Australia). The Soviet Union had its own region as well, designated by U, but now U is the "Russia And Former Soviet States" region, further divided into countries.

Evidently, Canada and the US chose to use the IATA code as the airport code section of their ICAO code (there are a few exceptions), while Australia and the Soviet Union did not. I can't explain why.

Some countries are not large enough to have their own region, but are too large to be covered by a single country letter, such as Brazil, which has 7 different country letters within its region, and Japan that has two.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

oly720man

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 pm

From a log on the mantma2 google group, it was N746CK

United States CKS216 N746CK B747 AA0910 FL359 90.0=B0 19:47:59

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CKS216

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alan Lebeda

which was previously

View Large View Medium