aklrno
Topic Author

Have You Used An Ipad With Southwest Wi-Fi?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I tried to use my ipad on a southwest flight yesterday and had no success. I started in airplane mode, went to settings, and then turned on wi-fi. I selected the southwest connection and the wi-fi indicator on the top of the screen showed a strong signal. When looking at the connection details I had an ip address assigned.

When I tried to use safari it said there was no internet connection. This often means that there was no name server available, but it could have been something else.

Has anyone else successfully used an ipad on southwest? I' m wondering if I did something wrong or if the aircraft system was in error, or if it just impossible.

Before I could get around to asking the crew I just fell asleep.

macsog6

RE: Have You Used An Ipad With Southwest Wi-Fi?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Quoting aklrno (Thread starter):
I' m wondering if I did something wrong or if the aircraft system was in error, or if it just impossible.

I saw a fellow pax using one yesterday on WN from LAS to RNO. Thus, I guess it is not impossible unless he was just playing with an application - but he seemd to be surfing.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

aklrno
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Quoting macsog6 (Reply 1):
I saw a fellow pax using one yesterday on WN from LAS to RNO. Thus, I guess it is not impossible unless he was just playing with an application - but he seemd to be surfing.

Hmm. Was that flight 964, leaving LAS around 11:20 (if it had been on time)? Was the person in 3F? That would have been me.

macsog6

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 2):
That would have been me.

Nope, WN731. And he was in the exit row across from me.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

GSPFlyer

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 am

Don't know exactly WN's wi-fi works, but I have used my iPod touch (essentially a small iPad) on an AA flight DFW-SLC in 2009. I had a strong signal, but kept getting the "no connection" message when connecting to the internet. I had to disconnect wi-fi and re-connect a few times, but eventually got the Go-Go page where I registered, and could surf.

This summer, I flew AA CLT-DFW, there was some information on the service in the pouch, which included a website to access the service on board, which I entered into the adress bar after I got a connection. It worked the first time.

Now, like I said, I have never used Row 44 (I believe this is what WN uses, correct?), but the process should be similar. Look on WN or the internet provider's website (before you fly) and there probably will be a url to enter once your iPad connects to the service.

Hope this helps

chrisair

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 am

Were you able to pay? The crew probably wouldn't have any idea how to fix it, though.

I used mine just fine on a MDW-TUS flight back in June. What aircraft did you fly on?

comorin

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Ipad? What is that? I prefer to use Depends!   

aklrno
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 5):
I used mine just fine on a MDW-TUS flight back in June. What aircraft did you fly on?

All I know is that it was a 737, blue and red/orange, and had lots of peanuts inside.