WROORD
Topic Author

Is 1 Hr 20 Min Enough To Clear Immigration

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 am

On the return leg from CUN to ORD we were booked with one hour 20 min layover in DFW. Is that enough time to clear customs and immigaration and run from Terminal D to Terminal A? I think not so the question is why the airline allows such booking especially with so many flights between DFW and ORD . What will happen if we miss our connecting flight?

LAXintl

RE: Is 1 Hr 20 Min Enough To Clear Immigration

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 am

Assuming things are on-time and customs is not backed up it can certainly be done. I've arrived and been out on the curb before as quick as 10mins with carry-on's.

If you miss your connection, then you will be standby for the next flight.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jetblue777

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:21 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):

Assuming things are on-time and customs is not backed up it can certainly be done. I've arrived and been out on the curb before as quick as 10mins with carry-on's.

If you miss your connection, then you will be standby for the next flight.

I was about to post a similar thread, but I'm just going to ask here,

We will be arriving in ATL from CUN at 5:31PM and our flight to EWR departs at 7:20PM. Do we have enough time to clear immigration? How's the immigration in ATL? And the transfers from one flight to another, btw, we're flying with DL.

On a random note, is February (last week) a busy time for Cancun? or no?
It's a cultural thing.

Aeroflot001

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):

I am not sure about how things work at DFW however I have heard that it is one of the best airports in the country so I can imgaine that it can be done. On monday I was 4th of the flight from EZE arriving at MIA at 6:45 and I was off the plane and curbside in 15 minutes and only because of the walking, Immigration and customs only took 7.

flyvny

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting jetblue777 (Reply 2):
We will be arriving in ATL from CUN at 5:31PM and our flight to EWR departs at 7:20PM. Do we have enough time to clear immigration? How's the immigration in ATL? And the transfers from one flight to another, btw, we're flying with DL.

Yes you have more than enough time. This is of course provided that the flight from Cancun is on-time. Even with 1 hour you would have sufficient time to connect.

I have never been to Cancun so it would be more appropriate for someone else to answer the last question. However since it is February I would say that Cancun is less busy than in the Summer months.

varigb707

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 am

It will take 45 minutes to 1 hour, from the moment your flight touch down to you walking out the door, from Customs/Immigration, at Terminal D.
I have timed several international arrivals at DFW, while waiting for clients, and that's the average timing.
Personally i do not like taking my chances. I always leave extra time.
Well, good luck.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

aa61hvy

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 am

As a former DFW-er, I say it's plenty of time. Not sure what CUN-DFW flight you are taking, but when I did DFW-CUN a few years ago customs was only a 5 minute wait, if that. Bags took average amount of time. I say you'll be just fine.
Go big or go home

WROORD
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:33 am

Thanks! I seem to miss my connections at DFW with miles to go between gates...well, there are plenty of later flights to ORD.