workhorse
Topic Author

Best Seats For HKG Approach And Departure?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I am currently planning a trip to Hong Kong and Shanghai (on CX ) and facing a typical a-nutter problem: which window seat to select to get the best view of Hong Kong on take off and landing  

I have three flights to book: CDG-HKG, PVG-HKG and HKG-CDG. Looking at the map, it seems to me that if I'm lucky to get an approach from the east and a take off to the east, it's better to select a seat on the left when landing and on the right when taking off. But of course I would be happy if any board member with better knowledge of HKG flying patterns could tell me if I am guessing right.

P.S. Don't know if it has an incidence, but both CDG-HKG and HKG-CDG are A340, and the PVG-HKG is an A330.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help!

BMIFlyer

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm afraid it all depends on the wind direction on the day....

If flights are landing from the east by the way they will (usually) take off to the west  
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

workhorse
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
I'm afraid it all depends on the wind direction on the day....

If flights are landing from the east by the way they will (usually) take off to the west

Sure  

But since I will not arrive and leave on the same day, I'm bold enough to hope that I'll get the "right" wind direction both days.  

Francoflier

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Landings and TO are usually eastward on the 07s, I'd say 60-70% of the time, but you might get the 25s too, there's no telling.

If you land on the 07s, from the north, there won't be much to see on either side. If you land on the 25s, then you'll want the left side.
Taking off from either runway, going Northbound to Europe, you're better off sitting on the left side as flights initially go eastward south of HK island regardless of the TO runway.

So all in all, put your money on left. Then again, this is HK, and 7 times out of ten the visibility will be so bad there won't be anything to see out anyway...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

workhorse
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 3):
If you land on the 25s, then you'll want the left side.
Taking off from either runway, going Northbound to Europe, you're better off sitting on the left side as flights initially go eastward south of HK island regardless of the TO runway.

So all in all, put your money on left.

Thank you!

BMIFlyer

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting workhorse (Reply 2):
But since I will not arrive and leave on the same day, I'm bold enough to hope that I'll get the "right" wind direction both days

Ah my bad sorry!  
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own