hamad
Topic Author

Where Do You Like To Sit In The Cabin?

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 am

When you travel as a passenger, lets say in economy class, what part of the aircraft would you like to sit in? front? back? or in the middle.... this excludes exit row seats ofcourse  
PHX - i miss spotting

travelavnut

RE: Where Do You Like To Sit In The Cabin?

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am

I like to sit as far back as possible, I am one of those weird persons who actually like turbulence. In the back the turbulence is amplified the most. I love that  

Also, when sitting in the back I like window seat on all daytime flights, or an aisle seat on longhaul night flights.
Live From Amsterdam!

hamad
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:23 am

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 1):
I am one of those weird persons who actually like turbulence

There is something magical about turbelance! i don't know how to explain it... it does sound wierd..
PHX - i miss spotting

HT

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 am

If travelling alone and with luggage checked I often opt for the second or third last row, espcially if deplaning is via front door only. Give me a window seat there and I have the patience to let all those people trying to make a mad dash for the single exit do whatever they want.
Once the aisle is clear around my rows I start getting up, but then deplane without unnecessary delay.

I will have to wait for my checked luggage to be delivered anyhow.

Exceptions to above might be due to :
- short connections
- expected long queues at immigration

Worst spot to sit it, IMO, is an aisle seat around row 4 to 5 of Economy Class with people pushing from further down the aisle and also some impatient people having chosen the window seat urgently trying to get off the plane.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

CXB77L

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 pm

I like to sit as far back as possible, I am one of those weird persons who actually like turbulence. In the back the turbulence is amplified the most. I love that

I'm just the opposite. I'm a wimp when it comes to turbulence, and I'm very prone to motion sickness. I sit as close to being over the wing as possible. Not many airlines have Y class in front of the wings, but I like to look at the engines as well.
Boeing 777 fanboy

planeguy727

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 pm

I, too, like to sit to the back, window seat (usually), and I try to look up the winds at destination and guess the arrival so I can have a good view of the other planes.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

PlymSpotter

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Depends on the aircraft:

For rear engined aircraft like the Yak-42, Tu-154, MD-80, B717, B727, F100 etc... I sit in the first row clear of the engine, so I can see both wing, engine and the view down below.

Any mid engined low wing jet aircraft I don't mind if I sit in front of the wing, or behind it, so long as I'm not right over it as I like seeing the ground below. With a high wing I prefer to sit at the very front, as on aircraft like the 146 your view is blurred by the thrust haze.

With props I prefer to sit in front of the blades. If it's a very small prop that isn't normally possible, so I sit at the back.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

eicvd

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Down the back but not in the very last few rows. Get to board first & leave last when using an airbridge & I just go straight for the back stairs when flying with FR.
COYBIB

RJLover

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Very last row, aisle seat, right side. Although I will take the aisle in the last row, lefthand side if I'm pressed!
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ//YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s): YHZ-YHM//YHM-YUL-YHZ

ash1111

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Wherever the business class section is  

Just joking. I like to sit over the wing so I can see the flaps and spoilers in action. Love exit rows because of the extra legroom as well.

However, I do love turbulence, so I might start sitting down the back. :P

L1011

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 pm

On planes with wing-mounted engines, I like to sit three or four rows from the back. On MD-80, DC-9, 717, and other planes with rear-mounted engines, I usually try to sit in front of the wing. With the wing so far back, there are not many rows behind it with a view. If I am traveling by myself, I try to get a window seat if the flight is three hours or less, and an aisle seat if it is over three hours, so that I can easily get up without disturbing anyone. On long wide-body flights, I try for a center aisle seat, as there is less chance that I'll have to keep getting up to let someone out.

Bob Bradley
Colonial Heights, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Speedbird741

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Wherever I can hear engine, slat, or flap sounds!

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

Quokka

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 pm

OK, you did say economy. I was going to ask "what is economy?"  

Generally I love looking out of the window so I always request a window seat. On Airbuses with a 2-x-2, configuration that usually presents no problems. On aircraft with 3-x-3, it does as it makes it more difficult to get out to the toilet if need be.

OK, I will go back to may original question: what is economy? If flying in First, I still prefer a window seat but with some aircraft, private suites limit what you can see all round. On a conventional aircraft you can usually catch glimpses out of the window on the far side of the aircraft as it turns and changes approach. With private suites that is often not possible. Ah, the sacrifices one must make... 

blueflyer

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:34 pm

If I don't have status with the carrier to board early, I prefer the back section so I can board earlier than the other peons and find some overhead space.

If I do get to board early, anywhere except over the wings will do.

In either case, by the window. I don't look down much, but I do look around quite a bit on taxi and take-off/landing roll.

If on a company-paid ticket (or a status upgrade), there's no rule of thumb, I generally avoid the first and last row of any cabin so as to not have much foot traffic around me and not be right in front of a crying baby in a bassinet in the first row of coach, but it depends from aircraft to aircraft and airline to airline, really.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

BasilFawlty

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Window seat, above or just behind the wing so I can have the best engine sounds.   
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

Birdwatching

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 pm

As I like to walk around from time too time, I will mostly ask for aisle seats on long haul. On short flights I always take window seats, and for a strange reason I mostly go for the right side.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
Depends on the aircraft:

You forgot one thing. 2B (or was it 2D?) on the Q.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

hercppmx

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 pm

On long haul or short haul always a window seat, just not over the wing. The only exception is on MD-80's there is just something special about a window seat as far forward as possible, the plane is actually very quite.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

PlymSpotter

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 15):
You forgot one thing. 2B (or was it 2D?) on the Q.

Hehe, the old favorite 
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Viscount724

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Jets - aisle seat as close to the front as possible (quietest area).
Props - aisle seat as close to the back as possible (quietest area).
Widebodies - aisle seat in the center section (better chance of an empty seat next to you).

Quoting RJLover (Reply 8):
Very last row, aisle seat, right side. Although I will take the aisle in the last row, lefthand side if I'm pressed!

Depends on the carrier, but KLM 737s have about 3 inches more seat pitch in the first 7 to 10 rows (depending on model...first 7 rows on 733/734, first 8 rows on 73G, first 10 rows on 738/739). Those are the rows that can be used for business class (flexible cabin divider). But it's rare for business class demand to require that many rows (often only 2 or 3). So when flying Y class, it's best to choose a seat in one of the remaining rows with additional legroom. Makes the flight more more pleasant.

nuckleuz

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 pm

I allways try to get a seat somewhere in the back of the aircraft. The chance of having an entire row for yourself is bigger then!

jgw787

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 am

At the front...cause I have airplane bathrooms and by the time we reach the gate I really need to go.

Skydrol

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 am

I always sit at the back of airplanes too. I also like turbulence, it's just too bad that my stomach has a very different opinion!   If I get sick, I get sick... I will still sit in the back!

Quoting RJLover (Reply 8):

Then we will be fighting for it!  

But I find WestJet always has the last row blocked off when I use the online seat selection. I have to ask an agent to change my seat to the last row, right aisle, and every time have to hear about why I really don't want to sit there. Then I get to hear the same thing all over again from the FA(s) at the rear of the plane when boarding. I am convinced they really want those seats!

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Tigerguy

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 am

I generally like to sit near the front. A lot of times, though, I like to sit where I can see the engine. To take it to another level, when I fly F9, I try to go for 5A/F or 8A/F. On the other hand, it occurs to me that I should go for 9F once in a while as well...  
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

DesertAir

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:39 pm

On WN flights I like to sit in about row 5 just in front of the engines; usually by the window.
Once a year I like to fly First Class and usually sit in row 4 or 5 on AA aircraft.

WROORD

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:46 pm

I used to sit whenever years ago and even liked the back of the plane, but after a very bumpy flight when my co-passenger screamed and grabbed my hand and was ready to bite me I tend to sit over the wings.
Window was always my preference, but lately I pick an aisle seat especially on longer flights. When flying with my family I always get stuck in the middle.

ACDC8

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:58 pm

I prefer sitting ahead of the wings simply becuse you can really hear the growl of the engines so much better than behind the wings.

The only exception to this rule is on the 747, then its to the last rows I go simply because I'll do almost everything to avoid the standard 3-4-3 seating.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Rotation

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I prefer sitting as far forward as possible - I do love turbulence (though my fiancee does not), but being almost 2m tall, I need to stand up ASAP, stretch, and get off the plane as quickly as I can. I love the whole flying experience, even just waiting around in the terminal, but when I get somewhere, I usually want to power on to whatever it is I'm there for.

Again, height-wise, I'm an aisle man for sure. It provides the extra opportunity to kick a leg out into the aisle, and of course anywhere in an exit row is a blessing, for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love looking out the window and more often than not I'm craning my neck to see what's happening out/down there, but for me, I need the aisle! Plus it's handy to go to the toilet whenever you so choose.

Finally, I will always choose to sit on the 'left hand side' of the aircraft - your A/B/C seats. Not sure why, but every time I book, I will choose that side without fail.
AN YC BA QF JQ DJ NZ AA B6 TT VA WN VX UA SQ EY

keagkid101

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 am

Window seat, on the left side of the aircraft (while walking in) and right infront of the wing, in the middle of it, or at the end of the wing.

mckvakk

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:00 am

Window seat on the left side as far up front (is that the right term?) as possible. Depending on the flight time i also take emergency exits into consideration, and on bigger planes like the 747 i prefer the two-seaters in the back of the plane if i'm not in a hurry at arrival.

initious

Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 pm

I'll normally choose a window seat at the left side of the aircraft be it in F/J/Y. I do not recall myself choosing a right side window seat until recently when I decided to break my "tradition" by choosing a right side seat on the upper deck of a 744 for my SIN-BKK flight and for my DXB-BKK flight. Unless when there is no choice of windows seats, I'll never choose an aisle or middle seat.

As for the position, I'll tend to choose seats closer to the front of the aircraft and the bulkhead is possible as I'm kinda tall at 187cm. When flying in Business / First, I'll tend to choose the second row left side window seat, i.e. just behind the bulkhead (e.g. Seat 3A for EK A380 suites and 12A for TG A346 J class). Of course, that is just a very random decision not based on any reason. You can call me weird if you want.  

When flying aircrafts with more than 3 economy seats abreast like the 777 with 3-3-3, I'll tend to choose a seat at the back of the economy cabin like those with 2-3-2 when the bulkhead is not available as it makes it easier for someone like me who cannot sit still on a flight to walk around easier plus it is less cramped since you only have 1 seatmate.
One way I will fly around the world!