ash1111
Topic Author

Favourite Airline Food/drink Items?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 am

Most people dislike airline (or airport lounge) food, but for me, there are a lot of items that I actually like. For example, I love the cheese and crackers and little cans of Coke. I also love the warm bread rolls and the feel of cold cutlery (when it's been in the cart)... a bit nerdy, I know. 

Am I the only one? Or are there certain items of the inflight meal service you actually enjoy?

Quokka

RE: Favourite Airline Food/drink Items?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 am

I like the welcoming dates and coffee served on airlines in the Middle East and the very generous portions of cheese on EK's cheese platter in F/ J.

I think that the only time that I can remember having a truly bad meal was on a flight from GET to PER where the beef, floating in greasy gravy, was impossible to cut.

bps3458

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:42 am

Has to be the tomato juice served on LH.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

wilco737

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 am

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 2):
Has to be the tomato juice served on LH.

Yikes... I cannot stand tomato juice...

I am glad when I get peanuts, almods and a coke 

wilco737

IAHFLYR

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 3):
I cannot stand tomato juice

I'm with ya on that.......not even with vodka and ice!  

I actually like some of the soup, mushroom or corn tortilla.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

RJLover

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

A good ol' can of Coke is my favourite!
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YHM-YUL-YHZ Next Flight(s):

wilco737

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Quoting RJLover (Reply 5):

Perfect! I am 100% with you here... But no Pepsi, only the real Coca Cola....

wilco737

ash1111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 pm

While you can't eat/drink it, I don't mind the hot towels as well. Very refreshing after a long trip!

PHLBOS

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

The Spinzel butter-pretzels that NW used to serve; however, one can still get them though by ordering online at http://www.snack-o-rama.com/
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

aklrno

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Kapiti Ice cream in NZ long-haul business class

BasilFawlty

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 3):
I cannot stand tomato juice...

Same here.      I find it very interesting that in the daily life almost nobody drinks tomato juice, but onboard an aircraft lots of people order it.

I like almost all the food onboard, sandwiches, hot panini's, hot meals, etc. Drinks are not so important for me, in most cases it's the same stuff that I can buy in my local supermarket.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

PI4EVER

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Pretzel bread sandwiches with a cold Heineken on LH, fresh coffee and Biscoff cookies on DL, and ANYTHING QF and NZ serves.
I just wish WN would serve a CAN of beer or a SPLIT of wine instead of pouring it in that lame plastic cup for a one shot serving; however, that is just about my only gripe on WN so it shakes out OK I guess.
watch what you want. you may get it.

bps3458

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 10):
I find it very interesting that in the daily life almost nobody drinks tomato juice, but onboard an aircraft lots of people order it.

It is indeed a strange phenomenon. While I do not mind drinking tomato juice once in a while when on the ground, I really crave for LH's tomato juice whenever I get a chance to fly them. The juice served has just the right taste to it while the tomato juice I have tried on other airlines has always been too sweet.

As far as I remember, LH or some other institution investigated this phenomenon and they came to the conclusion that your taste buds crave for something spicy and of thick consistence up in the air and as many domestic flights do not offer any type of food, people order tomato juice instead.

I am off to the Avalon Air Show tomorrow morning and will certainly have some tomato juice on my QF flight to MEL even though too sweet.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

jetblue777

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Delta's Biscoff Cookies, can't get enough of those! And basically every bag of peanuts that any airline would serve.

For international flights, I like the steak that OZ gives out in Y class on their longhaul routes. It's tender, juicy and you wouldn't really expect a steak in Economy Class!

It's a cultural thing.

PHLBOS

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 13):
Delta's Biscoff Cookies

I believe FL serves those on their morning flights as well.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

RamblinMan

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Bibimbap on KE longhaul from ICN. Best Y-class meal I've ever had, by a wide margin.

Also I really appreciate that WN has Tanqueray as their gin of choice. Not the best, but sure as hell better than Seagrams!

MHO

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Anything with alcohol in it. and nuts.
It's better to be a little behind than a big ass

Viscount724

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 6):
Quoting RJLover (Reply 5):

Perfect! I am 100% with you here... But no Pepsi, only the real Coca Cola....

Interestingly, for two airlines that are part of the same company, AF serves Pepsi and KL serves Coke.

BAViscount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 am

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 13):
Delta's Biscoff Cookies

I've heard so many people rave about Biscoff cookies (biscuits)...I'm curious to know what it is exactly that people see in those things, not having tried them myself! It seems like people prefer them to a proper meal in Y!! 
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

BD338

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 11):
I just wish WN would serve a CAN of beer or a SPLIT of wine instead of pouring it in that lame plastic cup for a one shot serving; however, that is just about my only gripe on WN so it shakes out OK I guess.

I've never seen WN do this. I always get a can of beer. Heineken or Corona please  
Quoting BAViscount (Reply 18):
I've heard so many people rave about Biscoff cookies (biscuits)...I'm curious to know what it is exactly that people see in those things, not having tried them myself! It seems like people prefer them to a proper meal in Y!!

Can't quite explain it but DL Biscoff cookies are the best. Very moorish.

There again, these are hardly exclusive items defining an airlines cuisine, I can buy them in any supermarket (minus the DL logo on the cookie of course)

ArmitageShanks

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:09 am

The only time I have cran-apple juice or a Bloody Mary is on an airplane so those two tastes bring me back every time.

Same goes for that airplane/coffee/jet fuel smell that's unique to aircraft. Sometimes I'll be just going about daily life and catch a whiff of that smell at random and I stop in my tracks.

skord

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 am

Twice a year... a large Bombay Saphire Gin & Tonic on LH!!! With nuts.....!! served to & from the USA in Business Class on my hols. (Why no Macadamia nuts now..   ) But all-in-all... Heaven!!  

blueflyer

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Drink-wise in no particular order
Pepsi (Coke an acceptable, if somewhat inferior, alternative)
Gin and tonic (preferably Bombay), especially the US if-you're-lucky way: a cup full of gin, a cup full of tonic...
Australian white wine from the SQ "cellar."
Any wine on QF.

Food-wise
Chocolates and/or Biscoff on pretty much any long-haul flight ex BRU
Had some good mushroom soup on CO once, even asked for seconds (I was hungry).
Any meal on QR ex DOH or QF ex Australia.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 18):
It seems like people prefer them to a proper meal in Y!! 

You can find them in retail locations or buy them online.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

Luxair747SP

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I really like the lemon cookies, given to the passengers on short haul AF flights and of course the good old german beer on LH
My blog about travelling in Moscow & Russia:
https://russiainanutshell.wordpress.com

initious

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Orange juice, smoked salmon and beef. Of course, not forgetting cheese and crackers! Specifically referring to TG's wonderful catering.

For breakfast, had a wonderful scrambled eggs on MI so that is definitely on my favourites every time I fly. When flying, I usually try not getting any dish that I can easily get on the ground like Chicken Rice or Fried Carrot Cake which are both Singaporean delicacies.
One day I will fly around the world!

readytotaxi

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 pm

When travelling CO in BusinessFirst I love the ice cream dessert, however my all time fav is the afternoon tea served by BA in Club and First prior to arrival into the USA. I speak of the fabulous "afternoon tea scone" . This is served warm about 1 hour before arrival,this wonderful smell of baked scone fills the cabin and then they arrive,served with Jam and clotted cream. The best treat ever.

scone
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

ACDC8

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Coffee for me, I couldn't imagine even a short flight without a nice hot cup of black coffee   

I find that BA has quite tasty meals in Y ... last time I was on them I had a really good lasanga, nothing fancy but really good.

Back in the 90s, KL had a really good ginger beef with sticky rice they served on the YVR-AMS flights ... really dissapointed that they took it off the menu though.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LX64A332

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:14 pm

I love the Movenpick ice cream LX serve ex-Switzerland!
In Y you get a little plastic tub, usually one flavour, and up front you can choose from two flavours and they even have waffle cones! yummmm....  
SWISS remains Swiss. With Lufthansa. :D

toobz

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 am

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 15):
Also I really appreciate that WN has Tanqueray as their gin of choice. Not the best, but sure as hell better than Seagrams!

LOL who serves Seagrams!! cheap and YUCK!  

I always look forward to a glass of champagne and warm nuts. that's hard to beat!
I'll definately agree on Biscoffs. weird that I never buy them at the store..hmmm. I gotta change that