varigb707
Topic Author

Are Pens/Pencils Allowed On Carry Ons?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 am

Not too long ago, a someone at work said he was not allowed to bring pens with him, and of course, TSA had confiscated.
Just wondering if this is true or not.  
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Quokka

RE: Are Pens/Pencils Allowed On Carry Ons?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am

Pens and pencils are not on the TSA's prohibited item list but they do say,

Quote:
The prohibited items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure travelers' security, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the Prohibited Items List is prohibited.

When travelling internationally from Australia I have always carried a ball-point pen with my travel documents and passport. After all, how else is one to fill in the landing cards required by some countries, including Australia, without a pen?

IAHFLYR

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 am

I also carry pen/pencil in my laptop backpack all over the United States and a few international destinations, no problems ever.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

afterburner

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Business travelers often do their works while flying. They need pencils or pens to write. If pens and pencils are not allowed, what should they use? Crayons?

sw733

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Yeah I do tons of work on airplanes and always have multiple pens and pencils with me, and never have I been stopped, questioned, anything - that goes for anywhere I have traveled to in the world.

Quoting afterburner (Reply 3):
Crayons?

Wait...we're not supposed to be writing our reports in crayon? Burnt Sierra will miss me...

RJLover

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 pm

I always have a number of pens in my carryon. Matter of fact, from my most recent trip to the US I picked up 5, which brought the total to 9 pens in my carryon!
Last Flight(s): YYJ-YVR-YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s):

PGNCS

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 2):
I also carry pen/pencil in my laptop backpack all over the United States and a few international destinations, no problems ever.

Agreed. I have certainly never had this questioned and I always have multiple pens in my bag regardless of whether I'm in uniform and on duty, or traveling as a paying passenger in civilian clothes. I even have a clothes pin, which can pinch something fierce!  

falstaff

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:45 pm

I carry pens or pencils all the time. How else could airline nerds like me write down notes for their trip reports.

Without a pen you could fill out the order form for the Skymall catalog and buy things you don't really need.

Once at STL I heard an announcement for a man to come back to the the TSA check point to pick up the pen he left. It must have been a very nice pen, with his name on it, for them to even bother.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

cpd

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 2):

Yes, I take them on board too - quite a nice pen/pencil set. Never had problems with that.

aklrno

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting varigb707 (Thread starter):
Wait...we're not supposed to be writing our reports in crayon? Burnt Sierra will miss me...

Sorry for the nitpicking, but living in a forest in the Sierra Nevada the phrase "Burnt Sierra" makes me cringe. Its "Burnt Sienna".

jgw787

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 am

I bring them on all the time to do work