dixiepilot
Topic Author

Help In Flying To Roatan, Honduras

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:07 pm

We are thinking about flying into Roatan, Honduras this weekend and wanted to get some feedback on going there. I would like to here from some pilots who have gone there recently and give me some advice. I would like to know if it's safe to fly our jet there and if there is any problems leaving it on the ramp. Is there a problem with theft, damage etc to the airplane. Would like any tips, any names and info on a handler or the best way to go. Is there anything special we should do or look out for. Any information would be appreciated. Terry

[Edited 2011-03-16 12:07:50]

Coal

RE: Help In Flying To Roatan, Honduras

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 am

Hi Terry

My family used to own a house in the West End and still owns some land there. We haven't been back for a few years as the situation in Roatan has seriously deteriorated. One of our very close friends got shot and killed in a land dispute. Note that most of the crime is spilling over from the mainland and not from the islanders. I think it should still be safe to go as a tourist on a diving trip, but I would not be bringing my own airplane. Perhaps the plane itself might be safe to be left on the ramp, but it would make you an easy target.

It's a shame really, as Roatan has by far the best scuba diving I have ever experienced (vs. elsewhere in the Caribbean and SE Asia), and it's a great place as it is not spoiled at all (due to very few tourists).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN