fca767
Topic Author

Do I Lose My Duty Free If I Buy Before The Transfe

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:10 am

If I buy Liquor at Manchester Airport and I'm going to Peru Via Amsterdam, do I lose the Liquid.

I know that the airport X-rays are at the gates in amsterdam, so I'm worried the will take away my duty free. As I'm gussing Schiphol's duty free might be collected at the gate.

aer lingus

RE: Do I Lose My Duty Free If I Buy Before The Tra

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:01 am

If you buy your liquor after security it should be fine. At the check out they will ask you for your boarding pass and ask where you're flying to. Just tell them your final destination and they will pack your liquor into a tamper proof clear plastic bag along with the receipt for inspection at the security gate.

Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

SOBHI51

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Quoting aer lingus (Reply 1):
If you buy your liquor after security it should be fine. At the check out they will ask you for your boarding pass and ask where you're flying to. Just tell them your final destination and they will pack your liquor into a tamper proof clear plastic bag along with the receipt for inspection at the security gate.

That will be fine for Manchester but i am not sure that will be the case in Amsterdam. Better by your liquor there in Amsterdam.   
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Yes that'

Quoting aer lingus (Reply 1):
Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 2):
That will be fine for Manchester but i am not sure that will be the case in Amsterdam. Better by your liquor there in Amsterdam.

Yes that's what I thought.
know amsterdam is alot more expensive in the duty free shop compared to the UK but it might be worth getting it there so that I don't lose all the items I've paid for.

signol

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:13 pm

I second the "buy in ams" group. Staff there will seal any purchases for you. However, depending on what you want to buy, it may be cheaper in a regular store in Peru.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

RamblinMan

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Isn't this a bit like planning for sneaking ganja INTO Jamaica?  Skip the duty-free, wait till you get there, and buy local! You'll be amazed at the wine you can get for 10 bucks!

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd leave the purchase for AMS... just to be sure.
My experience is that security at European airports have hard time accepting duty-free purchases from other airports, even those securely wrapped.

ammunition

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 6):
My experience is that security at European airports have hard time accepting duty-free purchases from other airports, even those securely wrapped.

Very true! I was stung in Amsterdam having purchased some products in Chisinau Airport, Moldova even though it was in an approved sealed bag- the issue? - it was not on their approved list of countries who participated in the liquids regulations or something or other. They even called the head of security to confirm whether Moldova was on the list. Fortunately what I had purchased was not very expensive, but I was disappointed nevertheless. It was a double connector, from chisinau to bucharest to amsterdam and then birmingham, maybe this complicated the issue a little, but I still think they would have confiscated if I had a direct flight from Chisinau to Ams connecting to BHX.

Do not trust the people selling you the goods - often they have no experience of the actual transfer. You could always call your transfer point and confirm whether your intended purchases will be an issues- though the chances of getting a quick answer may be slim.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 4):
I second the "buy in ams" group. Staff there will seal any purchases for you. However, depending on what you want to buy, it may be cheaper in a regular store in Peru.

Thanks   It will be for friends in Peru and It will be an english liquor  
Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 5):
Isn't this a bit like planning for sneaking ganja INTO Jamaica? Skip the duty-free, wait till you get there, and buy local! You'll be amazed at the wine you can get for 10 bucks!

haha! I am waiting to get there to buy a few things like clothes.

Yes I think so  

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting ammunition (Reply 7):
Very true! I was stung in Amsterdam having purchased some products in Chisinau Airport, Moldova even though it was in an approved sealed bag- the issue? - it was not on their approved list of countries who participated in the liquids regulations or something or other. They even called the head of security to confirm whether Moldova was on the list. Fortunately what I had purchased was not very expensive, but I was disappointed nevertheless. It was a double connector, from chisinau to bucharest to amsterdam and then birmingham, maybe this complicated the issue a little, but I still think they would have confiscated if I had a direct flight from Chisinau to Ams connecting to BHX.

Do not trust the people selling you the goods - often they have no experience of the actual transfer. You could always call your transfer point and confirm whether your intended purchases will be an issues- though the chances of getting a quick answer may be slim.

Yes I'll definitly buy there then   I can't believe how expensive schiphol is, looking at 3 toblerones is 13 Euros and that's on offer, yet uk I think is £4 in supermarkets lol...so i'm sure liquor will have the same increase, but never mind, it's a one off purchase.

Viscount724

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:28 am

No that's not correct. If your duty free is on one of the EU-approved sealed bags you can connect at any other EU airport with no problems. I have connected many times at AMS and various other airports with duty-free purchased elsewhere and have never had a problem.

L410Turbolet

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
No that's not correct. If your duty free is on one of the EU-approved sealed bags you can connect at any other EU airport with no problems.

As with many other things applied on EU level, there is a problem with consistency. I am glad your experience is positive in this regard, mine has been exactly opposite. I have witnessed bottles of fine, properly sealed with receipt attached, whiskey being trashed by security while transferring at CDG (as if that wasn't bad enough already) and at BUD.
After that experience I either shop at my last point of transfer or -now more often than not- not at all.

Viscount724

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 11):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
No that's not correct. If your duty free is on one of the EU-approved sealed bags you can connect at any other EU airport with no problems.

As with many other things applied on EU level, there is a problem with consistency. I am glad your experience is positive in this regard, mine has been exactly opposite. I have witnessed bottles of fine, properly sealed with receipt attached, whiskey being trashed by security while transferring at CDG (as if that wasn't bad enough already) and at BUD.

What do they say when you ask them to explain why they aren't applying the EU rules?